New S3 engine...any options from other cars?

Greggers

Reaction score
Morning all...

I'm looking to buy a new lump for my '99 S3, and was wondering which engines I could look at.

The current one is (I reckon! Still learning this malarky, as I only bought it a few weeks back) the 210bhp, APY engine, which I believe was common to the S3 & TT (or at least a slight varisnt of it, for the TT).

I know the newer version of the engine - the 225bhp, BAM effort - succeeded my engine (and I think there may have been another interim engine used in the S3, which was also 210bhp?), so I'm just trying to work out what I should be aiming to pick up.

Am I correct in thinking that one of these engines was also used in a Golf GTi? Albeit with a different set up / turbo, I'm assuming...
And what about the A3 Sport - was that a 1.8 with turbo?

I've checked a few prices, and the BAM lumps seem to go for a fair bit more than the original APY versions, so do you reckon the extra cost is okay, for the extra 15bhp? I think it's a (very) slightly lower comp engine, too?

So, any suggestions on any of this will be warmly welcomed...just looking to widen my search a wee bit, whilst also making sure that I get the right one, while I'm looking to change it.

Thanks,
greggers

Both the 210 and 225 engines remap to the same power! - there is no sense at all fitting a BAM engine into an older S3 if there's nothing wrong with your current engine - just a lot of cost for no reason at all.

I believe the 225 is only different due to VVT. I could be wrong though!

Rich

your ecu wont necessarily work wiht another code motor, certainly I think the BAM would need some messing with.

The basic 1.8t motor in the golfs and the a3 is sameish, but different internals and the inlet is other way round. basic block is the same though.

other cars with these geeneric motors are ibizas and skoda octavia. But you may also look at the 225hp lump from the cupra r as a "direct" replacement.

You should find a TT motor of your vintage around no problem.

If you want a new engine for your APY, any S3 engine will do. APY, AMK, AUL and BAM all have the same blocks, crankshafts, pistons, conrods and cylinder heads. It's only the ancillaries that are different. Just swap all these parts from your old engine on to your new one.

Why do you want a new lump?

i saw a chart somewhere saying all the gudgeon pins are the same on APY, AMK, AUL & BAM

why not just drop an S4 engine in there instaed just imagine.

what are they 2.7tt? the v8 is the 4.2isnt it? didnt some tunning company do this once witht the 2.7tt?!

edward_harris said:
what are they 2.7tt? the v8 is the 4.2isnt it? didnt some tunning company do this once witht the 2.7tt?!

:respekt: Yes indeed they did it was a magazine featured car!!

either the 4.2 or 2.7T would kick ***. I would have though the 2.7 would be easier to fit, the A3 engine bay seems pretty big.

S3IZZO, tommo-turbo, simch - thanks for the input, will stick to a AYP (unless I decide to go for a silly big engine - see below ;)

god_thats_quick, secret squirrel - I'm afraid that I blew my one up (there's another thread on it somewhere, but I'm on a friend's Mac at the mo, and I'm screwed if I know how to use this thing well enough to get another window up to searh for it!)...managed 112 miles after buying it :motz: Think the oil pump went. The car's going in to Star, up in Fife, next week, to be had a look at, see if there's anything salvagable, but I reckon it's just gonna be a case of dropping a complete lump in.

All you other fellas, who suggested a bigger engine...it's a possibility. Don't want to go too crazy (although the RS6 engine & 'box on eBay at the mo for 3k, that would be fun!), so an S4 engine would be as far as I'd consider - too much hassle for the now.

Thanks for your help - will update on what happens :icon_thumright:
greggers

i drove my bosses 4.2 S4 today and i must say my remapped S3 was a bit tumbleweed after that!