Newbie Needs Answers!!!

S3DanP

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm fairly new to this forum and have a few questions that you may be able to help with...
I have a 1999 S3 with 130000 miles on the clock, according to all the paperwork i got with the car the engine head was replaced with a re-con unit at 97000 miles, dont know why, i assumed a head gasket failure etc.

Questions

1) I was thinking of having the ECU re-mapped, is this a good idea on an engine with this many miles and who would be the best company to go for, are the gains to 260bhp i've heard about realistic?

2) There is a bit more noise than i expected to hear coming from the engine, it sounds very slightly 'tappity' is there anything i can get to cure this i.e. some sort of additive, which would be the best one?

3) The exhaust also seems to be blowing, can this cause power loss? I was thinking along the lines of back pressure loss for the turbo. Was thinking of replacing it with a full stainless system; any reccomendations?

Thank you all for any help and answers you can give me, look forward to your replies.

Cheers :)

(1) Shouldn't be a prob if the engine has been well maintained. Company - discussed so many times and no definitive answers. Try a search and go with a reputable VAG tuner and you shouldn't have a prob. I have custom code but am in a minority on here I think.

(2) These engines are tappity - charcoal filter and nothing to worry about.

(3) Standard exhaust on mine so I'll leave recs to others.

hi and welcome!
3) depends where your exhaust is leaking. if its at the front it will make more difference, also most after market ones are cat back systems so a front end leak will still be there. milltek exhausts are known to knock a bit on s3's so you might want to try some of the other makes, some are a bit too loud though. a good remap should be ok but bear in mind the extra power/boost combined with a heavy right foot could finish off some already tired engine parts!

SteveS said:
milltek exhausts are known to knock a bit on s3's so you might want to try some of the other makes

not just S3's, VW Golfs aswell..... :shutup2:

Hi mate, i think most tuning companies will test the condition/health of the engine before mapping it anyway.....

Golf miltek knock is normally the clamp on the over axle pipe catching on the axel, simply turning it rouond 180 degrees cures it!

My S3 system with centre box did catch my propshaft, but only when it was soaking wet, system was hot and I went through a massive puddle! There was inch and a half clearance when cold, but it clearly contracted and changed shape when hot then rapidly cooled and it caught propshaft!!!

simch said:
Golf miltek knock is normally the clamp on the over axle pipe catching on the axel, simply turning it rouond 180 degrees cures it!

nope its the actual pipe that knocks and vibrates on the bottom of the car also when you have 2 passengers in the back and hit a bumpy stretch of road the rear rubber used to come off..... i gave up taking it back and forwards to get it sorted.... i just use it as work horse now....

Thanks everyone, I'm based in Bournemouth (Not so sunny at the moment), it wasnt the whole engine replaced just the head with a re-con unit, which as far as i'm aware is most of the main components... Just wanted to make sure.

So the s3 lump is a bit tappey then, is there an additive?

thought it was just the injectors

Yeah i was thinking about one of these engine flush products like wynns or stp, something like that, just wondered if anyone else had had any problems.

Dubplate said:
nope its the actual pipe that knocks and vibrates on the bottom of the car also when you have 2 passengers in the back and hit a bumpy stretch of road the rear rubber used to come off..... i gave up taking it back and forwards to get it sorted.... i just use it as work horse now....

Mine doesn't!! Been on 50k miles and three + years now!

What DP do yoou have? sounds like an allignment problem. if its only with people in, it mus be hitting the axel....its the only bit that moves relative to the exhaust with weight in the car! !

S3 lump should be quiet, some of the ones with VVT can be a bit noisy on start up, but yours is too early to have VVT.

It could be the carcola filter as suggested, but that's easy to trace to the box on the drivers side inner wing.

BUT you could also have a problem with the aircon compressor clutch, (I had one go noisy at 125k miles). Try turning your aircon off at idle and see if it quietens..?

Other "tappety" noise, again on idle generally or low revs is the clutch rattling (aftermarket uprated ones generally more so than OEM) BUT could also be your Dual mass flywheel............be careful, could be pricey and nasty of it fails!! (goes for aircon too! )

simch said:
Mine doesn't!! Been on 50k miles and three + years now!

What DP do yoou have? sounds like an allignment problem. if its only with people in, it mus be hitting the axel....its the only bit that moves relative to the exhaust with weight in the car! !

standard MK3 dp..... i think your right it is an alignment problem but ive taken it to 3 kwick fits and 3 mechanics now, all of which couldnt solve the problem or couldnt be ***** to sounds more like it.... i reckon to make it a better fit you would have to cut a bit of the cat pipe off by doing this would bring the rear and centre section forward but resulting in the misalignment of the rear rubber.... I do know through other posts on other forums that this seems to be a problem with a number of people.... I suppose its who you get to fit it in the first place.............. last time i get my mechanic mate to fit something for me:shutup2: :keule: not a problem now as i have my S3 :wub: and the golf will just be used as a work horse....

Thanks simch,

I tried switching off the air con compressor, it's not that and i know about the charcoal filter, it doesn't seem to hinder performance maybe i'm just worrying about nothing.