Audi A3 a better prospect for a fast car than an S3?

Dubplate said:
if you can afford a 12 grand car surely you could add another 3/4 grand and buy one.....

engines are good granted but why do you think they are only worth 5 grand ?

which is ?

12 + 4 equals 16, not 50.

And what makes me think they're only worth 5 grand? How about the fact that you can pick them up on pistonheads right now for that price????????

My A3 cost me 13,000 when I bought it. Outright.

simch said:
If you read my posts you will see I own both types of these cars were are talking about, albeit one of them a 18t AGUgolf, not an A3, (same thing really).

Oh I also have a mk2 rally spec 8v golf, 1991.

Oh and a 1992 968 cab..?

I drive them all, hard! They are all a bit different, all have their good points all at least slightly modded (porker) to get them to be a little more interesting, the 8v has a motor I built in it, the mk4 and the s3 both have turbo conversions and uprated chassis mods to get them up to par.

Dave's point on thr title of this thread is a good one, I have effectively both specs of cars he's describing although the s3 has recently gone IHI. So I can identify with his point better than most, and his arguments are well thought out and make sense....

Then we look at your comments.. You say you are not a chav as you can write legible english..... "Fat old Dicks" wasn't it...?

Oh well done, have a GCSE to go with the other 10 you got in the Christmas crackers!

PS who is "Stanley", your imaginary friend..?

I don't know why you're telling me any of this.

leave1 said:
12 + 4 equals 16, not 50.

wheres the 50 come from ? we are not talking about new cars......
leave1 said:
And what makes me think they're only worth 5 grand? How about the fact that you can pick them up on pistonheads right now for that price????????

that wasnt what i was asking !!..... personally i wouldnt pay 1/2 that as the build quality is poor, they depreciate quicker than most cars, they have a certain max power stigma to them.... i do agree the engine and handling are very good but imo they dont come close to an Audis presence.....

leave1 said:
My A3 cost me 13,000 when I bought it. Outright.

which was when ? £13000 would get you good condition low mileage fully loaded S3 now.......

leave1 said:
The problem I have with S3's, is that they are just uncool. There's no other way to say it.

A lot of people disagree with me, but it's always the same poeple I see driving them. Fat people, or old people who have no business in a hatchback. I never see anyone young in an S3. Obviously because of it's price, but that's what makes the A3 1.8t a lot cooler in my opinion. Younger people drive it.

The S3 is for fat people. Also, every person who I see in an S3 just looks like a ****. It's like I look on their face that says "yes, I am a ****".

It's like you never see an RX8 being driven fast, and you never see one with even a spot of dirt. It's because they only attract a certain demographic.

S3's only attract a certain demographic: Old, fat, dicks.

You ****** :lmfao: I'm 20 and I own an S3. Old - nope, fat - nope (12 Stone last time I checked) **** - some may say but I don't think so.

Seems like your just jealous because when you paid £13k for your A3, couple of years down the line you could have actually afforded the better of the 2.

Never mind you stick with your A3.

Er, Leave1, maybe read what you wrote, you said "we can guess what you drive". I actually drive both types of car that are the subject of this thread, indeed, one of them with exactly the modded spec Dave detailed in his first post! You would know that if you could be bothered reading the whole thread, but not if you just wans to to pass on the benefit of your no doubt extensive reasearch into S3 drivers being "old fat dicks" and critisising the demographic that "s3 drivers" supposedly belong to! Maybe you should read the thread title and get back on topic rather than make such dazzlingly incitful comments as "s3s are driven by old fat dicks" and then try to justify that such a comment is not stupid?

Again, I urge you to ad something useful to the subject or go play with your young friends on "wickedcrooooze.com". If you want to give us the benefit of your wisdom on S3 owners, perhaps you can start a new thread.

On your point about s3 not being "cool" because only old people drive them who have no business driving a hatchback...I honestly dont think I have read something so stupid in my life.
Not only is it factually incorrect, (many 20's year old on here with S3s can hardly be called old), why do you think anyone qualifying as "old" or "fat" or a "****" by your definiition whould not drive a hatchback...? Are they perhaps too fat to fit in one? Or too much of a **** to work out how to open the hatchback...?? What cars should these fat old dicks drive do you think..?

I can certainly confrim I did not buy my s3 to be "cool". i bought it so I could wack a massive turbo on it and actually get some traction. From the VAG stable, its the only small car they do that has 4wd, 1.8T motor and can actually be used to cart yourself and some people around in (TT is very small in the back). Coupled to my postitive experience of the MK4 which has some similarities, it was an obvious choice.

But dont you let common sense and factually accuracy get in the way of your opinion, fella. I'd be very interested to find out how old and fat YOU are..? As for the last of your three generalisations, I think you've said enough!

Is "Stanley" the name of your knife you carry around with you when you go out on the razz, in case of someone "kicking off, innit"? Or is it some "hip" word you young un's use today to describe "fat old dicks!"? Maybe you heard it on Big Brother..?

oh and you paying 13k for a 1.8T a3, blows your theory out of the water about S3s only being bought by old people who can afford them........you can get a nice 53 plate s3 now for less than £12k! So if you are saying you need to be old to afford that, then surely YOU are old too..?

Strange arguments you make, fella?

Dubplate said:
which was when ? £13000 would get you good condition low mileage fully loaded S3 now.......

Which is exactly what I meant when I said "An S3 costs less than what my A3 did when I bought it"

Jesus christ, can you read, mate?

joe6886 said:
You ****** :lmfao: I'm 20 and I own an S3. Old - nope, fat - nope (12 Stone last time I checked) **** - some may say but I don't think so.

Seems like your just jealous because when you paid £13k for your A3, couple of years down the line you could have actually afforded the better of the 2.

Never mind you stick with your A3.

Don't get upset, mate. Like I have already stated, I merely said "everyone I see" not "everyone on the entire planet". So I don't think it applied to you.

Actually, when I bought my A3, I bought it becaus eI was looking for a car in my price range at the time, and I didn't even know the S3 existed. I wasn't really a car fan. S3's were around 17 grand when I bought my A3, which is more than too much to spend on a second hand hatchback.

And yes, I'll be sticking with my A3 for the next couple of months, until I sell it to make way for a new car. I'm looking at a 2005 M3, if I can pick one up for less than 28.

But seriously, why would I be jealous of a hatchback? I'm jealous of Ferrari F430's, and Porsche 911's, and Aston Martins.. Cars I can't afford. Who in their right mind would ever be jealous of a 2nd hand Audi hatchback?

simch said:
oh and you paying 13k for a 1.8T a3, blows your theory out of the water about S3s only being bought by old people who can afford them........you can get a nice 53 plate s3 now for less than £12k! So if you are saying you need to be old to afford that, then surely YOU are old too..?

Strange arguments you make, fella?

I've already said that, but thanks for being the third person to reiterate the point. I've already stated that the falling price of the S3 has opened the market and made it a more affordable car. S3's were still fetching 20k when I bought mine, and averaging 17-18k.

Face facts, the s3 is a very uncool car. They generally get pretty shoddy reviews, they drive poorly, and they're expensive. Not so much anymore, but that doesn't change the fact that the standard s3, is really pretty ****.

Evidenced by the fact that almost every S3 owner on this forum has spent money changing something on their car.

leave1 said:
Which is exactly what I meant when I said "An S3 costs less than what my A3 did when I bought it"

Jesus christ, can you read, mate?

what the hell are you on about ???? depending on when you brought your A3 of course it will :think: :wacko:

leave1 said:
And yes, I'll be sticking with my A3 for the next couple of months, until I sell it to make way for a new car. I'm looking at a 2005 M3, if I can pick one up for less than 28.

But seriously, why would I be jealous of a hatchback? I'm jealous of Ferrari F430's, and Porsche 911's, and Aston Martins.. Cars I can't afford. Who in their right mind would ever be jealous of a 2nd hand Audi hatchback?

if you can afford up to £28000 you can afford a porsche 911:think: so no need to be jealous now is there......

Its being perpetuated by people arguing back and forth.

Which is a shame. Hopefully some people will get some useful info though, possibly the most useful wide ranging thing is the fact a front mount intercooler exists that works perfect (and is tested) for the A3 1.8T series cars for under £300....

i love forums, from an A3/S3 comparison thread, to S3 driver's are di*ks!

:lmfao:

How is the S3 an uncool car? Despite the pricetag, look at the numbers sold! Why would someone want to fork out £25k+ on a Hatchback, despite all the poor reviews??... It's simple, Audi got the styling and package right, and it's a cool car to own, the fact that it will be blasted by any Evo or Scooby down a twisty back road didn't matter to owners, all modern and old Audi 'S' and 'RS' badged cars have a certain coolness about them, why would you say it's uncool?

I personally don't, it depends on how much more of a track car it becomes to how much less of a driving about town car.

But theres going to be a Mk2 Golf for the track, so I'll get this finished and stop there, as the missus wants a track car too.

It does appear as if the original message was worthwhile tho as a couple of people have been asking about the K03s and associated upgrades on the 1.8T series.

yep.... apologise Dave for the off topic bickering........:asskicking:

and to clarify the S3 would be my choice of the two...im probably a bit biased tho....:icon_thumright:

Dave's going to buy mk mk2 aren't you Dave?!! :)

leave1 said:
Don't get upset, mate. Like I have already stated, I merely said "everyone I see" not "everyone on the entire planet". So I don't think it applied to you.

Actually, when I bought my A3, I bought it becaus eI was looking for a car in my price range at the time, and I didn't even know the S3 existed. I wasn't really a car fan. S3's were around 17 grand when I bought my A3, which is more than too much to spend on a second hand hatchback.

Ha hahaahahahah! He critisises S3 drivers with his idiotic bigotted sterotypes suggesting this is the reason he does not have one, then goes on to say he wants an M3! hahahahahaahah! !

Says it all really!

simch said:
Ha hahaahahahah! He critisises S3 drivers with his idiotic bigotted sterotypes suggesting this is the reason he does not have one, then goes on to say he wants an M3! hahahahahaahah! !

Says it all really!

Ha hahaahahahah! hahahahahaahah! !

This thread has turned into something hilarious!

Leave1....classic comments, on a forum for enthusiasts of cars, specifically Audis and saying that people on here care too much about their cars...hence why they are on here...and yes, the colour of my indicators matters to me and to car manufacturers as they now seem to produce cars with clear lenses and not orange lenses?

S3 uncool? ok...

Dave_Bayern said:
thats a very interesting viewpoint. Mk3's aren't known for their handling by any stretch and the vast majority of VW based track cars are Mk1's and Mk2, abeit with Mk3 wide track, so utilising the Mk2 lightness and durability with the Mk2 suspension and 5x100/brake upgrades. Using the Mk3 front and rear (and the 2.0L bottom end) on a Mk2 16v makes an AMAZING car.

Mk3s get a bad rep from their awful dampers and springs...and ARBs....and bushes!
The geometry is pretty good and very adjustable compaqred to the Mk4/A3 chassis.
You can do the same mods to a Mk3 and M4/A3 and the Mk3 will be the better set up as you can simply add more negative camber.

I agree about Mk2s...to a point.
Mk1s though...forget it. Bendy shells and awful brakes...the Mk3 is WAY stiffer than a Mk2...so lighten it enough and you end up with near Mk2 weight but a stiffer platform to hand the suspension off.
I like the Mk3...but then again, I'm a bit odd.

1.8T is a very viable and very easy option with the M1/Mk2/Mk3 series, and it would easily be within the price for mods quoted above, you can pick up a low mileage 1.8T for 1.5K with box. Loom work, and the suspension, ARBs etc would still be below another 1.5K.

But the 1.8T is an awful track engine, in my view.
Non linear, heatsoak issues, doesn't rev high enough...
Give me a NA engine anyday.
A good ABF with headwork, a pair of Scricks and a set of Badger Bills ITBs and you're pushing chipped K03/03S power but with a more linear power delivery and throttle response turbo drivers would kill for.

So in essense, sticking with the VAG cars, you could build a Mk2 VERY cheaply that would absolutely destroy 99% of Mk3 Golfs, Mk4 Golfs, Audi A3s and Audi S3s.

Yup...and more fun on the track.

In fact, that might be why I'm on the lookout for a decent Mk2 shell!!!

Good luck...keep me updated, that sounds great craic!

mk1chopper said:
The mk3 gti 16v can be turn into a very quick good handeling car, they have a bad image for being fat and not a great gti from the factory but it is well know that with simple suspension mods which now days arnt that expensive they can be made into good gti. Also the abf engine is restricted as vw needed it to sit between the 8v and the VR6. The ABF can be tune to 190bhp with ease, plus it has a much better engine management over the KR and 9A 16v engines.

Well said...
Mk3 16vs are good, underrated cars...with work they don't half surprise!

Ess_Three said:
A good ABF with headwork, a pair of Scricks and a set of Badger Bills ITBs and you're pushing chipped K03/03S power but with a more linear power delivery and throttle response turbo drivers would kill for.

Hahaha, last night I was on Bills site looking at them, going ooooh, aaaaaah and other noises that shouldn't be made about pieces of metal.

But yeah, the plan is Mk2 with an ABF and go from there.....

If you want some 'no ********' comments (would you expect anything else from me?) from experience of ABF tuning, give me a shout...
Mine made 151BHP std on Star's dyno...now it's up at 195/196 BHP on standard injection....
I've tried a few things in the last 6 years, to say the least! Some work...some don't...and it responds differently to the KR.
I'm a fan of the ABF...it's a sweet engine.

I've got it revving sweetly and breathing well...all MOT compliant.

A friend on performance vw forum has a mk1 golf with an ABF engine, its been chip/remapped, after market exhaust and 4 into 1 manifold, gasflowed head and aftermarket cams, im pretty sure his was making 190bhp (afw) on TSR rollers (there may have been some other mods too)

Ess_Three said:
II have a well tweaked Mk3 GTI...and it'll quite happliy show standard S3s/TTs the way home on accelleration, braking and handling...and will give certain high power S3s a bit of a scare on the right backroad (eh Chris?) but you have to drive it 100%...where the S3 driver is probably sitting at a much safer and more comfortable 85%.

The advantage of a well sorted S3 is that it's sooooo easy to drive quickly.

I'd say your GTI is a perfect example of handling and braking being a much better way of getting from A to B quickly, than simply adding power. I'm not sure I was giving it as much as 85% but not far off. Wouldn't say you were giving me a scare, but certainly a surprise.

leave1 said:
The problem I have with S3's, is that they are just uncool. There's no other way to say it.

A lot of people disagree with me, but it's always the same poeple I see driving them. Fat people, or old people who have no business in a hatchback. I never see anyone young in an S3. Obviously because of it's price, but that's what makes the A3 1.8t a lot cooler in my opinion. Younger people drive it.

The S3 is for fat people. Also, every person who I see in an S3 just looks like a ****. It's like I look on their face that says "yes, I am a ****".

It's like you never see an RX8 being driven fast, and you never see one with even a spot of dirt. It's because they only attract a certain demographic.

S3's only attract a certain demographic: Old, fat, dicks.

Guffaw, Guffaw!!! My you Chav types make me titter so.

I'm young with a gorgeous wife, a castle and a title. If you came to my residence in a measly 1.8t I would set the dogs on you.......

Such Crass behaviour. I worry so about the declining gene pool. But then I did marry my sister......... :jester: