Thinking of selling the S3 for a BMW

Tooks said:
Bit more informed than a forum I reckon... BMW's specs say 155mph. The Autos are 2mph slower. (click on the tech spec tab)

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/auc/car_details/0,,1260_159980106__,00.html?currentCh=WBABD52090PL68334

firstly thats the manufacturers spec so yes they will give the ultimate top speed not the restricted speed, secondly i thought it was the E46 variant that was the discussion and finally i would go with a consumer view as they arent going to under power their car deliberately....

Tooks said:
It's irrelevant anyway, as the OP was talking about the diesel...

indeed..... i was only giving my limited views on the BMW 330ci as it was brought up.....:icon_thumright:

My cards on the table, my brother in law sells these things for a living.

The 155mph IS the restricted speed, electronically limited, there is not another limiter at 130mph or so, not that either of those speeds are relevant in the UK of course! :)

If you look at the 330d, it shows a 141mph max speed, the 320 a lower one etc.

BMW don't restrict their cars at any speed except 155, under the gentlemans agreement with other manufacturers. If an owner of a car is reporting a slower top speed, there must be something wrong with it, or it's worn, or air temps are a factor etc etc.

EDIT: The M5 only appears to be limited to 155mph in theory! The road tests I have read show it going a lot quicker than that before a limiter chimes in...

Tooks said:
My cards on the table, my brother in law sells these things for a living.

The 155mph IS the restricted speed, electronically limited, there is not another limiter at 130mph or so, not that either of those speeds are relevant in the UK of course! :)

If you look at the 330d, it shows a 141mph max speed, the 320 a lower one etc.

BMW don't restrict their cars at any speed except 155, under the gentlemans agreement with other manufacturers. If an owner of a car is reporting a slower top speed, there must be something wrong with it, or it's worn, or air temps are a factor etc etc.

EDIT: The M5 only appears to be limited to 155mph in theory! The road tests I have read show it going a lot quicker than that before a limiter chimes in...

fair play so what your saying is the 330ci has the same restricted top end as an M3 so its capable of a 170 + mph ? which doesnt seem right to me...i cant argue the fact as im not that technically minded :think: im only going on reviews and forums of such that frequented when i was considering buying one before the S3 and this discussion came up quite alot.....:thumbsup:

nky_84 said:
You could be right, its mighty close. S3 should have it if all 3 remapped?

Yep for sure, a remapped S3 would loose a 330Ci with ease.

Tooks said:

I concur, I have the E46 M3 variant and it will go in to mid 160's.

james0808 said:

not that its relevent are we talking about the 5.0 litre V10 BMW M5 if so yes your right i would be extremely :sadlike: if the unrestricted top speed wasnt up in the 180mph league...... but what your saying that the E46 330ci is capable of those figures aswell ?.....

mwstewart said:
I concur, I have the E46 M3 variant and it will go in to mid 160's.

:hubbahubba: you lucky :tapedshut: do you wanna swap for my S3..... lol....

Dubplate said:
fair play so what your saying is the 330ci has the same restricted top end as an M3 so its capable of a 170 + mph ? which doesnt seem right to me...i cant argue the fact as im not that technically minded :think: im only going on reviews and forums of such that frequented when i was considering buying one before the S3 and this discussion came up quite alot.....:thumbsup:

Well, I guess what I'm saying is that BMW don't quote 155mph as the limit unless it can actually do it. Hence, the 330d is quoted as 141mph. If the 330i could only do 135 or so, then they would quote that.

The German TUV regulations are quite strict about this sort of thing, hence why German manufacturers tend to be conservative about all the quoted specs, including BHP etc. These are usually considered minimums.

It could be that an unrestricted 330i, given enough space (and I think it would need quite a bit of that!) could run on to 157mph or something, but BMW would still restrict it to 155mph, and show that as it's top speed. Obviously, the M3 is capable of a far higher speed, but 155mph is what it is theoretically restricted to. :icon_thumright:

Dubplate said:
the one took out for a test drive certainly frightened me....

Tooks said:
It could be that an unrestricted 330i, given enough space (and I think it would need quite a bit of that!) could run on to 157mph or something, but BMW would still restrict it to 155mph, and show that as it's top speed. Obviously, the M3 is capable of a far higher speed, but 155mph is what it is theoretically restricted to. :icon_thumright:

seems a bit strange why they would restrict by 2 mph.... but hey if thats true who am i to argue :thumbsup:

I was only using that as an example, I have no idea what its unrestricted top speed would be!

Anyway, that's me done!! :)

Tooks said:
I was only using that as an example, I have no idea what its unrestricted top speed would be!

Anyway, that's me done!! :)

me too..... best get on with some work now :icon_thumright:

Dubplate said:
140km (86.99mph) still quite a way off 130mph there so yes i bet it was still going some.... :icon_thumright:

I think I need to re-phrase my post, I hit 140MPH!(on a private road!!) in a standard 330ci Coupe Auto, and it was still going... slowed down after, as it wasn't my car lol. :racer:

This is an Audi forum, so you're obviously going to get biased answers.

In my opinion BMW make the best driving, and the best engineered cars out of the three Germans. Their engines are out of this world, no matter what anyone says the BMW 330i is an excellent car with brilliant handling and a lot of grunt. And of course, you get that lovely sound from the 6 cylinders. Take the new E90 BMW 335i; 6 cylinders, twin turbo's and 0-60 time widely reported to be around 5.2 - 5.5 seconds. This makes it quicker than a B6 S4, also BMW are known to be conservative with bhp figures. People have dyno'd stock 335's and reported wheel horsepower of around 275 bhp.

If you don't mind the bland, spartan interiors, dull styling and the ubiquity of a 3 series, get one.

golf said:

The debate seems pretty open to me, lots of for and against opinions, but both cars are pretty much different class, one is a hatchback and the other is a coupe. They are matched in terms of performance and price, todays comparison would be BMW 3-series coupe vs Audi A5.

jojo said:
I think I need to re-phrase my post, I hit 140MPH!(on a private road!!)
ahhhh i see..i couldnt reach 14mph on the private roads near me as they have the worst speed bumps known to man.....

jojo said:
in a standard 330ci Coupe Auto, and it was still going... slowed down after, as it wasn't my car lol. :racer:

cool....:icon_thumright: im not saying 140mph isnt possible it just seems there are a lot 330ci owners seem to have this restricted problem...... most likely a common fault, so i guess the S3 purchase was a good one :happy:

golf said:

In my opinion BMW make the best driving, and the best engineered cars out of the three Germans.

BMW have more refined engines but build quality is no where as good as Audi and as for the re-sale value i dont think anyone can argue that Audi are far superior....

Dubplate said:
seems a bit strange why they would restrict by 2 mph.... but hey if thats true who am i to argue :thumbsup:
I think a 3.2 A3 will do about 157mph or there abouts but thats limited to 155.Must make them sound better when marketing them when they say its limited to 155 when thats about all it will do anyway.

Dubplate said:
BMW have more refined engines but build quality is no where as good as Audi and as for the re-sale value i dont think anyone can argue that Audi are far superior....

Only for the S and RS models imo, all the other models lose as much as your equivelant(sp?) BMW, though A3's have the upper hand over the 1-series, because it looks like breadvan :laugh:

silver75 said:
almost everyone has said get the BM.

I was talking in general terms.

Dubplate said:

True, Audi does have better build quality but I was saying that Audi's engines on the whole, are inferior to BMW's. A 1.8 will never be as smooth or as refined as a 3.0 flat 6. On average BMW's actually tend to hold value better than Audi's.

golf said:
I was talking in general terms.

True, Audi does have better build quality but I was saying that Audi's engines on the whole, are inferior to BMW's. A 1.8 will never be as smooth or as refined as a 3.0 flat 6. On average BMW's actually tend to hold value better than Audi's.

engines agreed :icon_thumright: but as for re-sale values i disagree.... as said by jojo it maybe levels out on base models but not the sport range ie: M3 vs RS4, TT vs Z4, M5 vs RS6 etc.....

I have a pic of my speedo on my standard 330d 184bhp 5 speed doing about 143mph last year in Germany. So i would be very surprised if a 3 litre petrol would not do more.

Dubplate said:
engines agreed :icon_thumright: but as for re-sale values i disagree.... as said by jojo it maybe levels out on base models but not the sport range ie: M3 vs RS4, TT vs Z4, M5 vs RS6 etc.....
I would say the M3 is more S4 not RS4.

This chart shows the depreciation of a new S3 and a new 330i. Both are pretty even and lose around the same percentage.

chart171093589754406b81c2484270de1187.gif

scib4 said:
I have a pic of my speedo on my standard 330d 184bhp 5 speed doing about 143mph last year in Germany. So i would be very surprised if a 3 litre petrol would not do more.

and ive had my lardy *** Mk3 8v Golf GTi showing 135mph... so is this true aswell.... ?

james0808 said:
I would say the M3 is more S4 not RS4.

debatable really as i'd say the 330 Msport would be equal to the S4.....

Dubplate said:

I am very impressed with the car, the only real downside is when you have to empty your wallet for an inspection II service and set of tyres. Horrendous :faint: That's the price you pay for performance though I guess!

Very refreshing to see some unbiased opinions in this thread, especially as we're discussing a BMW in an Audi forum!

mwstewart said:
I am very impressed with the car, the only real downside is when you have to empty your wallet for an inspection II service and set of tyres. Horrendous :faint: That's the price you pay for performance though I guess!

I can imagine....:scared2: still going to get one next year :icon_thumright:

mwstewart said:
Very refreshing to see some unbiased opinions in this thread, especially as we're discussing a BMW in an Audi forum!

hey BMW's are awesome cars but then again so are Audi... the one thing in common is that ze germans certainly make the best cars......... :arco:

Dubplate said:
and ive had my lardy *** Mk3 8v Golf GTi showing 135mph... so is this true aswell.... ?

So by chance the book top speed of my 330d is 141mph. But you think a 330i "BMW tops out at around 130mph"

scib4 said:
So by chance the book top speed of my 330d is 141mph. But you think a 330i "BMW tops out at around 130mph"

No i didnt personally say that i was merely quoting the information i found on the subject for when i was going to purchase one....also book speeds are inacurate and can differentiate hugely. Ive already stated that my technical knowledge is minimal so im not going to argue the fact... I answered your statement because you cant go by the speedometer as this wont give you a true recording... just by comparing my sat nav indicated speed with my speedometer on the S3 you can see a noticeble difference....my 10 yr old Mk3 8v Golf GTi has shown a speed of 135mph but anyone can tell you this wouldnt be correct a more accurate guess be more like 120-125mph... :icon_thumright:

Dubplate said:
No i didnt personally say that i was merely quoting the information i found on the subject for when i was going to purchase one....also book speeds are inacurate and can differentiate hugely. Ive already stated that my technical knowledge is minimal so im not going to argue the fact... I answered your statement because you cant go by the speedometer as this wont give you a true recording... just by comparing my sat nav indicated speed with my speedometer on the S3 you can see a noticeble difference....my 10 yr old Mk3 8v Golf GTi has shown a speed of 135mph but anyone can tell you this wouldnt be correct a more accurate guess be more like 120-125mph... :icon_thumright:

Fair enough mate. What would you reckon 143mph would be then on a 2002 car? Bit more advanced than the a Mk3 Golf i would think.

scib4 said:
Fair enough mate. What would you reckon 143mph would be then on a 2002 car? Bit more advanced than the a Mk3 Golf i would think.

yes i would think it would be.... normally you'd apply a 10% margin to the given speed as all manufactures speedometers vary....

scib4 said:

Both my E46's are accurate to within 2mph of the Road Angel, up to silly speeds. This surprised me as I always like to think the speedo 'error' gives you a nice comfort zone through speed cameras - not so!

Dubplate said:
yes i would think it would be.... normally you'd apply a 10% margin to the given speed as all manufactures speedometers vary....

They are aloud to over read by 10% but 0% under.

mwstewart said:
Both my E46's are accurate to within 2mph of the Road Angel, up to silly speeds. This surprised me as I always like to think the speedo 'error' gives you a nice comfort zone through speed cameras - not so!

my pogodrive is within 2mph @ 40mph not had much chance to try out it out at high speed yet....

Dubplate said:
my pogodrive is within 2mph @ 40mph not had much chance to try out it out at high speed yet....

Hello...who cares, I'm sure this thread is about whether someone should sell their S3 and get a BMW.

Anyway, my S3 is faster than anyone else's on here...

Hotscar said:
Hello...who cares, I'm sure this thread is about whether someone should sell their S3 and get a BMW.

Anyway, my S3 is faster than anyone else's on here...

and this post is valid or helpful ? thanks for the input :think: