Changing ECU's for Remap...

Dave_Bayern

Slipping at 3.5Krpm
Reaction score
I currently have an Audi 1.8T on a 1998 AGU ECU.

Its also currently remapped with a superchips map.

I want to bin this map, as I have a K03s to go on there now, so I need a replacement ECU. The car is an early one so Non DBW.

Will I require a replacement ECU from the exact same model/year and engine code or could I use say, a passat 1.8T ECU from the same NDBW system and get that remapped to work with the K03s on my car?

Could I even use a DBW ECU? After all, its the same signal passed by a different means isnt it?

OR, are there any remapping agents who can remove the superchips map and replace it with their own....?

I'm unsure as to how the ECU's work....

And for anyone searching this topic in future, it appears as if Custom Code will unsolder the old chip and resolder a new chip onto the ECU no issues. £300 plus VAT, producing 210ish BHP and 230ish ft.lbs for Generic Phase one.

That price seems reasonable. I've had no problems with my CC remap. Get it bought!

Interesting. I had my ECU open the other day. My jabba chip is removable via a plug in arrangement. I can't be sure if the pins on the board are soldered on by jabbasport. If they are, they are very neat.

Anyone got pics of a standard ECU with the cover off?

Do you have an early non-DBW car then?

Might check mine, its under the scuttle panel isnt it?

To get the superchips map off you'd need to flash the ECU back to the OE map. Due to the nature of the non-DBW ECU, this needs doing on the bench. Simple job, should take a tuner 5 mins, but i've heard people charging £50 for doing it.

If you were wanting a 'new' map for the K03s, the tuner should flash it to OE before they start and the cost will be included in the 'new' map price.

You don't need a new ECU.

Yeah, I've since had this confirmed. Custom Code will be doing it and they will replace the superchips map with their own variant. It is indeed included in the price of the custom map.