Wanted: AVU 1.6 Engine..

Raspeir

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Some of you might have seen the saga with my A3:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?p=387565#post387565

We are now evaluating the option of putting a new engine into it, as money-wise audi have taken such a chunk from me I can't afford to keep guessing with it.. I was wondering if anyone knew of anyone who is selling/might be likely to have, a good, working, 1.6 engine (code AVU)

Also, does anyone have any idea how much one of these engines is likely to cost? I've heard this code is pretty rare.

Alternately, does anyone know if it would be possible to fit one of the (more common) AKL engines into this model, and if it is possible, what compatability issues might arise?

If anyone else has done this before I'd be really grateful for any advice.

I'm going to be doing the usual ringing round breakers yards etc on my hunt, but any ideas from anyone would be extremely well recieved.

Thanks again

Adam

it would probably be chaper to get it running and trade it in for another car. the price of the engine and the work involved just to revive a 6 year old 1.6 would put me off.

Got to agree with madvw, the retail value of your motor might make fitting a new engine not really worth it. Have you managed to get someone to get it on VAG-COM to read any codes? When you do, get them posted as someone on here might have had a similar issue.

If i were you id try and get it working again and trade it in -

alternatively why not get a 1.8T and put that in - there'll be much more choice then too

I would've thought the 1.8T engine would need different transmission/clutch/ecu etc etc.

Might prove cheaper to trade the current 1.6 in with it's current state and just buy a 1.8T.

I think when i was considering it, but cant remember for sure - we needed the ecu engine exhaust obv but that was about it - transmission etc were all ok as long as it was a certain 1.8T engine code.

But you're prob right trading it in as it is might prove the most cost effective option, unless its a friend who's fittng the engine and wont charge much for it