which brake fluid?

Aky

Aky
Reaction score
I've managed to grab myself a set of Brembo's at a bargain price but will need brake fluid. Which brand and spec do you guys use? How much do you need to buy to fill the whole system up? Anywhere cheap to buy this from?

Any info is appreciated.

motul rbf6000 stuff is supposed to be great.

I'm using AP Racing fluid as it was free....

Just had my Brembos fitted at APS. They used ATE super blue DOT 4.

These brakes are soooo much better than standard. Wish I'd got them ages ago.

Cheers,

B.

Bantam1 wat u using for back brakes standard ???? as im thinking of getting brembos myself

Utrinque-Paratus said:
Bantam1 wat u using for back brakes standard ???? as im thinking of getting brembos myself

Yup - standard everything at the rear.

I asked a similar question on anther forum,

"The DOT standard includes boiling point, but also includes other factors, hence some of the best fluids don't meet DOT5.1 standard despite being much better brake fluids... And just to confuse everyone, DOT5 is completely different again for silicone based fluids [URL="http://www.scottishcarclub.com/phpbb/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif"][/URL]

The most important factors are dry (i.e. when the fluid is brand new) and wet (when the fluid is older and has absorbed moisture) boiling points - Castrol SRF is much better, but Motul isn't too bad either - with smaller brakes on a heavier car, your fluid temperature is going to be pretty high on track...

All brake fluids are hugely hygroscopic (absorb water), but you could add milk and two sugars to SRF and it would still out perform all the others:

Fluid ............................DRY....... WET
Castrol LMA DOT 3/4......446 .......311
Ford Heavy Duty DOT 3..550....... 290
ATE Super Blue Racing...536........392
ATE TYP 200 .................536........392
Motul Racing 600 ...........585........421
Castrol SRF ...................590........518
Performance Friction .......550...... 284 "

The Castrol SRF is the best as you can see from the table, but is also about twice the price of Motul Racing 600!

I use MBF 600, and never had any problems, and that includes track days!

Mike

APS put in "a good DOT4". 3000 miles later I boiled that fluid on a track event. Knowing this could occur was very off putting.

Castrol SRF is the fluid for me now, even for road use.

About £30 a bottle but well worth it. Don't spend all the money on brakes and have poor fluid. It doesn't work.

MRC Tuning had it in stock when I wanted it and after the system being bled by them and the SRF used, I've never had so much pedal feel and confidence in the brakes.

£30 down the drain literally the first time you use it though as it's best to flush a bottle through on first change.