the time has come to say goodbye to the s3....

S3tony

Reaction score
well after 3 years of happy motoring with the s3, it has come time for a change, i love the car comfortable and quick, however since buying my 1st house in march my priorities have changed and i need somethin more economical to run, well ive decided on a seat ibiza fr tdi (small and cheap to run). ordered last weekend and should get it by the end of next week. i just hope i dont miss the s3 too much........

I sold my M3 when i bought my first house and bought a VW polo 1.9 tdi sport, 18 months later and i bought the S3, polo was a good little car, cheap and reasonably quick for what it was but missed having some performance.

I sold my S3 2 months ago and tried a used Ibiza Cupra 160 pdi. It was great, but had done 50k so settled on a 18k Fabia vRS instead as it seemed to be of a better build quality (and £1.5k cheaper). I'm averaging 53 MPG now.

cheers guys, col ive seen u on SCN recently, lookin forward to halvin my fuel bill thats for sure....... pick the new car up on friday, so its come early, only problem is ive got too much petrol in my car to last me and ill never use it up, what a waste of money!!!!!!

So you ordered a brand new car to replace a used one and you think you will save money...??!

53mpg vs say 28 mpg....? You worked out how many miles you need to do to overcome the 1st year depreciation on the new Seat...?

Dont get me wrong, the Seat is a great little car and fuel costs are clearly very good, but I'd be surprised if you actually save any money at all, when you do the sums next year and see how much you've lost on depreciation..!

Enjoy!!

i can see ur point but £200 cheaper car insurance, £80 cheaper tax no mots for the next 3 years= £180, fuel prices will probably continue to rise, and my misses can drive this one. my car needs servicing and will need new discs and pads soon too, the tdi will probably become the misses car in the future, then i can get a new one.

simch said:
So you ordered a brand new car to replace a used one and you think you will save money...??!

53mpg vs say 28 mpg....? You worked out how many miles you need to do to overcome the 1st year depreciation on the new Seat...?

Dont get me wrong, the Seat is a great little car and fuel costs are clearly very good, but I'd be surprised if you actually save any money at all, when you do the sums next year and see how much you've lost on depreciation..!

Enjoy!!

Agreed! But depreciation doesn't hit you every month like fuel costs do! It only shows it's ugly head when you're already too excited about your new car to care!