AH FabricationsVolks Autos
    RS4 B5 380bhp

Status

Knocking feel through the steering wheel.

When you move the wheel slightly from side to side you can feel a slight knocking. My friend mechanic had a quick look and seem to think the uj thing needs changing. (How technical does that sound.) I looked at some other treads and it seems that the whole column would need changing. Any ideas people?

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    yeah its just the UJ thats f*cked but as usual you cant just get that bit!!
    I had the same and had to change the column got it from vagparts and twas about £225 audi wanted about 350.
    Id say to check its not your rack with the play before buying a new column though

4th Gear

Status
    there is an adjustment on the rear of the rack so might be worth giving it a tweak see if that helps too

6th Gear

Status
    You can also have most UJ's repressed - not sure how much of a permanent fix it is tho, or what the cost would be.

Mine has done if for two years now ive still not got round to sorting it
    *Gone* 1997 A3 1.6 facelift headlights, 16"1.8t Alloys, full rear tints. 110k

You built a time machine.........out of a delorean!?!?!

RS4 B5 380bhp

Status

Nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by s3ollie
    there is an adjustment on the rear of the rack so might be worth giving it a tweak see if that helps too
    Is this easy to do? Any pics?

6th Gear

Status
    If its the adjuster i think it is then it sits right in your drivers footwell at the bottom of the column - 13mm iirc just turn it slightly and try turning the wheel to see if it helps

4th Gear

Status
    you couldnt really get the uj changed on mine as they press the metal around over it so it would have damaged or cracked it if id press it out, done so you have to buy a whole new unit i suspect.

The adjustment is on the rear of the rack below the drivers footwell. youll need to jack the car up and use an extension bar between the subfarme and footwell. 17mm i think on S3

4th Gear

Status
    I think the 13mm bolt that rodenal mentioned above is where the column joins the rack and thats def worth a look to see if its loose as rodenal says

RS4 B5 380bhp

Status
    I have had a good look by taking the covers below the dash off, and there is a clear amount if play in the top UJ. Put a little grease on but it makes a small grity sound when moved. I'm hoping that the 13mm bolt at the bottom just releases the column then removing covers near the steering wheel. Any advice would be greatly recieved.

RS4 B5 380bhp

Status

I think I know what's causing it!

I took the covers off to look at the steering column and I think I have found the offending article. There is a slight amount of play in the top UJ I think. If you pull the column down then move the steering wheel it the knock is no longer.

I'm thinking about doing it myself and replacing the column. As you see with the bottom photo you can undo the bolt and hopefully get the column off at the bottom end, it'll be very interesting getting the top bit off and then re fitting it all.

Any tips woud be great.

3rd Gear

Status
    If you do change it yourself, ensure that you get the new column in EXACTLY the same place as I can see the bottom uj is on splines.

If you don't, the steering wheel will be off centre and then the steering angle sensor will go nuts, throw up errors in VAG-COM and then start kicking the ABS in around faster bends (because it thinks you are going round a sharper corner faster than you actually are)...
    Rarrrr! I'm not Lesdyxic!

There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't.

Clicky Here!

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    The UJ has a missing spline and cut-out for the bolt so it only goes one in one position.

RS4 B5 380bhp

Status
    Cheers guys. Most helpful.

Do you know the best place to buy one?

6th Gear

Status
    Unfortunately only audi will sell you a column

Only other option is ebay/scrappy but thats a bit risky as the new one could quite easily be goosed too

4th Gear

Status
    got my column from vagparts.com for about £225 audi wanted 380+vat or somthing

1st Gear

Status
    I have a knocking top UJ on my steering column.

Does the TT share the same column does anyone know? They seem so expensive!

Cheers