two problems with s3..tickover..and vibration

jarvis**turbo**

Reaction score
right two smallish problems but im very fussy and its starting to annoy me now.firstly the car doesnt idle perfectly.it idle's where it should but every so often it stutters and will do it every 10 seconds or so.needle drops ever so slightly and then rises agen to where it shud.but it makes the car judder a bit and i dont like it.any idea?just had a big service and it did have throttle cleaned and reset.secondly im getting small vibration thorugh my pedals when im driving.mainly the clutch pedal..but i can feel it thorugh all 3 of um really.anyone experienced this or have any idea's?any help would be appriciated.thanks

i know what you mean about a light vibration. I get this sometimes but not for a while now. Its not so much as a judder as, as something i cant explain! I'm not worried at this stage though

I reckon its the dual mass flywheel on the clutch, as they tend to go when the clutch does and most people replace them with the single mass version.

If the whole car is shaking and shuddering it would tend to suggest Flywheel. Is it rattling? Does it stop when you press the clutch a little?

I have exactly the same thing on my S3, I posted about it a couple of weeks ago and a few other said their car doesn't sit well whilst idle, I've just come to presume its the nature of the car?

If it purrs like a breathing cat, then its normal, if it shakes, then somethings wrong.

My second S3 had this problem and it was diagnosed as the master flywheel

It would shudder sometimes alarmingly through the centre of the vehicle and centre console

The car was returned to Audi for a refund once they diagnosed it as I had the car only 2 months

i seem to get this at idle it is not steady only sometimes though , almost like a slight missfire , not too sure what it could be , but it seems to go if i give the car a blast round ,

Have a look at your Fans in front of the radiator. Currently my car is shuddering and make weird noises, traced it down to my fan that is loose and is 'oscillating' rather than 'rotating' hence making the vibration feeling. Also the car splutters/revs at idle, again down to the fan. Took it to Henly VW as they said a new fan is required as it has all sorts of bearings inbuilt into it plus you can't just tighten it up like I thought. FYI the part number for the left Fan is 6X0959455F cost is £135 from VAG Parts or £150 from Audi Main Dealer; fittling is £50.00 and takes about an hour.