Considering Revo Trial - Pros / Con ?

mattyboy199

Reaction score
As above i ve read mixed reviews anyone wanna highlight the problems that may occur.

Thanks

Matt

main proplem being you will have to spend the 500 +VAT, as soon as you give it some you will be back for the permanent map! :)

I killed 2 coil packs after a revo map, 1st one the same day and second a couple of days later, once they were both replaced it has been faultless :)

i can see your point there with the remap, but i dont have top go Revo right ?

I have had a revo remap for over a year and no problems and I haven't been driving miss daisy either
Try it and if you don't like don't buy

i had the revo trial and didnt like it , if u dont go revo , some mappers may struggle to get there map on it , as the revo doesnt dissapear it stays on the ecu but turns the boost level to standard

mattyboy199 said:
i can see your point there with the remap, but i dont have top go Revo right ?

once the trial has expired, the revo "standard" map is on there - not your original oem map.

other tuners will probably charge you an extra £100 to put a stock map (i.e. take off the revo map) on there before they remap it with their map.

I've got a Revo and I'm not happy with it. My MAF needed replacing soon after the map was done (not revo's fault) and that improved things but it's not felt that powerful and the power delivery is very iffy.

I've just had it rolling roaded at 229 BHP :( And it's running lean.

It's going back to the garage that mapped it to be checked (Fontain in Bucks).

In hindsight I wish I'd opted to have it mapped at a tuner that has a 4x4 rolling road. At least you get before and after graphs showing power gains and more diagnosis can be done with it on the RR.

Also Revo is v expensive at £500 + VAT...

Also I've been told that Revo locks the ECU area used for the engine map and removing it properly is a royal pain in the **** (and might even require the chip to be removed to be wiped clean).

well thats no good really, when yous say Revo do you mean the trial map or ful map ?

Matt

mattyboy199 said:
well thats no good really, when yous say Revo do you mean the trial map or ful map ?

Matt

Full map. To be fair to Revo I don't know what my car was pushing before the remap (due to no before/after dyno readouts).

But that just reinforces the point as far as I'm concerned, remap a car without a dyno and you;re a bit f***ed if it doesn't go perfectly to plan.

With the Revo trial you can take it back to the Revo and ask them to reflash with a standard Audi map after the trial has ended.

Thats what I did when I went to get my car remapped a few years ago and was told that I would be charged £100 for removing the remaining revo trial code.

oh i see so they will do this for nothing ? i m thinking about booking it in.

Thanks

Matt

Had mine super chipped, then was told it had revo trial on, no major probs caused, thinking of getting it revo-d now has the super chip is good but not has aggressive as my mate who has his car revo,d tried his car what a difference, but then again depends on what you want if its a nice torque then go for super chips i prefer sausage and beans me self
:scared2:

The comments re the Revo trail staying on the ECU are true, if you then decide to get another map, some tuners will need to remove the ECU from the car "bench flash" your new map onto it..not ideal but not the end of the world..

the www.fontain.co.uk site says You will have 5 hours of driving pleasure in your own car before your software will completely revert back to the standard programme.

Obviously not going by this post. Something to come back on ;-)

Matt

I bought the REVO remap, but got my money back after 6 days because it was poo. I now have an APR remap on it and i am very happy with it, feels like it has more power than the REVO one.

5.8 0-60mph 14.6 1/4 mile
are them times 'poo'?
Standard zorst and filter and 18's

voorhees said:
are them times 'poo'?

Thats virtually the figures my Cossie had, 0-60 in 5.7 and 1/4 mile in 14.2!

What bhp is that putting out?

voorhees said:
are them times 'poo'?

So why all this bad talk about Revo?

To be honest I had done some research and I found a local Revo dealer nice and close. Other wise I am looking at a trip to Banbury for an MRC remap, a fairly long drive and given fuel and time easier to go for the more expensive Revo.

And now I have no idea what to do? :faint:

i had revo trial amd didnt think much of it to be honest , i now have a mrc map , and wow , it is a hell of a lot better than revo IMO , it boosts at 1.4 bar and slowly dies down to 1.1 , all in it was £500 or £400 for a generic

Jampublic said:
So why all this bad talk about Revo?

To be honest I had done some research and I found a local Revo dealer nice and close. Other wise I am looking at a trip to Banbury for an MRC remap, a fairly long drive and given fuel and time easier to go for the more expensive Revo.

And now I have no idea what to do? :faint:

definately travel down to mrc , there maps are good .

I have had my car for two months and the chap before me who was a friend had it for a good year or two with the map. Neither of us had any problems, as for changing the MAF after a remap, this is very common and nothing to worry about. Coil pack changes are also common but less so, I love revo, I'm not taking my car on the track so a MRC or AMD are not for me, I love the boost surge it gives you. Not to everyone taste I must admit. I say if you check about the taking the map off your ecu before the trial and it's not too much then go for it, I would put money on you buying it!!!!

Hope this helps.

:jester:

Cossie_boy said:
Thats virtually the figures my Cossie had, 0-60 in 5.7 and 1/4 mile in 14.2!

What bhp is that putting out?

I would say 260 as an approximation but thats it as I have yet to get it put on rollers

Haven't sorted my MAF or coilpacks yet so still returning 27 MPG

Revo all the way!

You said in the first post Revo has mixed reviews.

That should make a nagging question in your mind.

Have you EVER seen mixed reviews of MRC, Custom Code or APR and the like?

voorhees said:
are them times 'poo'?

i use to get 14.6 with 19s and just running strait through exhaust without cat after my coustom code stage 2 remapp flat 14s shame my clutch started slipping would have liked to see if u got high 13s

Dave_Bayern said:
You said in the first post Revo has mixed reviews.

That should make a nagging question in your mind.

Have you EVER seen mixed reviews of MRC, Custom Code or APR and the like?

No dont believe i have have but neither of the above provide a free trial map, just because i intend to get a trial revo map doesnt mean i will get the full map. I m just interested in what to expect. If i decide to get a full remap expect a poll to be raised or similar ?

Matt

When you get the trial (assuming nothing goes wrong with your engine (MAF, coil, etc.) you'll have the 1st bit going "woooooooooooohoooooooooo" then you'll get used to it and start to wonder what all the fuss is about. Then it turns itself off and you wonder if the handbrake's jammed on.

I think very very very few people have a remap and decide to stick with a stock map.

mattyboy199 said:
No dont believe i have have but neither of the above provide a free trial map

APR do free trials, i'm testing it soon. Also has added functionality of being able to switch between maps using the cruise control stalk.

Why not go out in a mates mapped car, feel the astonishing difference it makes and then choose custom map suited to your car? Personally I wouldn't touch the free 'trial'.

i dont know anyone with a remapped S3. I ve been looking at Jabba i ve heard reviews of them.

well if any body want to have a test drive in my car to see how it compares to the there standad S3 and live anywere near london drop me a pm

mattyboy199 said:
i dont know anyone with a remapped S3. I ve been looking at Jabba i ve heard reviews of them.

Well if you live in the north (around Manchester) then i'll happily take you for a spin. :thumbsup:

hey everyone, sorry to steal the thread but i didnt want to start a new one, basically im getting the revo trial in the morning, but after reading on here i was wondering if anyone in the North East could recommend any other companys to consider? any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

djakster said:
hey everyone, sorry to steal the thread but i didnt want to start a new one, basically im getting the revo trial in the morning, but after reading on here i was wondering if anyone in the North East could recommend any other companys to consider? any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

http://www.revotechnik.com/locateDealer/ukDealers.aspx

Mattyboy if your in the midlands PM me I'll oblige with a demo

In the North East, DPM Autostyling.

If you want to make a trip up North, Star Performance.