Inters beckoning and this happens!!!!

voorhees

Staff member
Reaction score
100_1310.jpg

This really was the last bolt and it was a mcgard locking nut which at first the bottom bit cracked off then the top went But luckily my mate Ashley is very very good at sorting things and he got it off with help from his know how..thankfully
WHY the last bolt?

I'm sure I read somewhere that it's not good practice to have more than one locking bolt per wheel. Something to do with the tensile strength of the normal as opposed to the locking bolt.

I'm Sure I read some safety advise against doing this but can't find the article now.

Oh, and I hate it when this kind of thing happens. I had a similar situation where the monkeys at my local VW garage used an impact wrench to put my wheels back on once. I got a flat tyre later and neither I nor the AA man could remove the wheel.

Had to have 7 studs on different wheels drilled out in the end. needless to say I sent the bill for doing this to the VW garage and surprisingly enough they paid.

Mcgard kits are very bad. For some reason loads of people rate them, but I've heard so many stories similar to yours.

Interestingly all my wheel bolts are of the spline type rather than just one per wheel.

Looking at that vw locking nut.... are all of them the same? cuz mine are the same as that... wouldnt that just mean a wheel thief would just need a locking nut for any vw?!?!?

McGuard are the rubbishest locking nuts ever, I've lost count of the amount I've seen do that, or the key does that, same result anyway.

I too run the VW ones, just to deter the opportunist, anyone serious would have them off in seconds anyway, how long does it take to hammer an imperial socket over the locking bolt? an extra 3 seconds per wheel?

It happened to my mcguards too now my wheels are protected by extreme violence.

i remember years ago when i had a nova with some fat alloys. got the mcgaurds which did the same. took it to vauaxhall to get them off which scratched them.

avoid mcgaurds

I could of got a refund off them but if this **** happens regularly then I'm just going to sling the remaining ones

the Audi locking wheel nuts if i remember there are 74 different keys as my friend lost his on his S4 and the local VW garaged removed them by going through nearly 40 keys apparently! for free aswell! :w00t: