Engine Mount... bushes?

bouncer--daz

A dog is for life....not just for friday nights!
Reaction score
Ive got a knocking sound coming from the engine bay but before you say it isnt the engine itself... it happens in regards too any bumps in the road. Took the car too the mechanic this morning any he thinks its the engine mounts... either a loose bolt or knackered bush. Hes checked the suspension and ruled that out.
Hes had a go at tightening things up first as a inexpensive option... this hasnt worked though and hes closed for the rest of the day until monday. Has anyone had similar problems... any advice on things I could check or do myself as its annoying the crap out of me and I dont want to have to wait until monday. Photos would be appreciated as Ive never worked on the mounts myself before.

Well I have had a similar problem since I had my car, slight knocking over bumps. First thoughts on here and from the garage was that its the wishbone bushes and maybe top strut mounts. Anyway after replacing both today the knocking continues! However, a mate popped round and suggested the tie bars. So we took them off, tied up the roll bar and drove round the block, no knocking! So replacing the tie bars monday evening.. :)

Well the cars going into the garage to have the passenger door and rear panel resprayed monday... may get chance to pop in into the mechanic before that... but Im off on holiday for a week so will have too see what happens when I get back.
I get a slight knock occasionlly when pulling off... but worst is when rolling down a hill in neutral (when i was tryin to make it knock too listen where it was coming from lol).... having so much luck lately.... a stone has cracked my drivers side headlamp:keule: ...... looking round on ebay for a new one now.... soooooo much f**king bad luck... 99% all damage aswell not mechanics.

You and your bad luck, you need a witch doctor!

Well keep you updated, when the new tie bars go on Monday. Have a good holiday! :)

Ive got this exact problem since my remap and now i might know what it is

If it was the anti roll bars or tie bars... or sumut along those lines... would it effect my braking? Ive noticed alot of shuddering under hard braking since the knocking began... I know this is a common symptom of the discs needing replacing and its on my upgrade list anyway... just curious as its started at the same time?

Well garage gave me 2 right side Tie bars, so didn't get to fit them last night! :( And now since I changed my top strut mounts and bushes my brakes have gone all shudding under heavy braking! :wtf: I didn't even touch the brakes! :faint:

Any suggestions since I got to get this sorted by friday, since off to Stafford for a track day! :faint:

have you still got the roll bar tied up, when you experiance the the brakes shudding???? - just a thought.

Nah roll bar was only tied up for a quick run! Shuddering under heavy braking for 70 or faster I get heavy shake through the steering wheel! :(

There was no problem before i changed the bushes and top strut mounts! Maybe the wheels are out of alinement, since I have taken the wishbones off! :think:

In the mean time I will check for any leaks! Thanks

bingo - good guess would be alignment, and hopefully not a warped rotor disc etc, good luck.

I hope so I have only a few days to get it sorted, going to check the bushes and fit the tie bars tomorrow and then get the alignment done after!

Fingers crossed! :confused:

sorry but i cant see the alignment being out making steering wheel shudder under braking!

Your correct, it didn't! Had the wheels re-aligned earlier and the same problem still pursits!

my old lcr was knocking on the engine mount , i bought a dog bone mount for £15 , and problem solved , the car felt a lot smoother as well , amazing what a mount can do

Thanks Nick I will have at the engine mounts this evening! Just hope i can get it all done by friday! :sadlike:

Thanks Nick I will have look at the engine mounts this evening! Just hope i can get it all done by friday! :sadlike:

nick-barnes07 said:
my old lcr was knocking on the engine mount , i bought a dog bone mount for £15 , and problem solved , the car felt a lot smoother as well , amazing what a mount can do

how hard is it to fit one of these?

Well turned out the brake shuddering was caused by some cheap bushes, replaced them with Audi bushes and problem solved. Also fitted the tie bars and still getting the knocking, so we think it might be the roll bar bushes! I believe someone mentioned you have to drop the sub frame out, for the anti roll bar at the front! :faint:

Well its abit late, but managed to replace my ARB bushes on wednesday night and to my untter amazement the knocking has ceased! :)

So super happy about this, been trying to sort this for a while now!