4 beeps when starting S3

S3MHT

Remap Do I or Don't I???????
Reaction score
Hi, Sometimes I get 4 beeps coming from the rear of my S3 when I start the car. This may sound wierd but it happens more when its frezzing outside too?

Does anybody have any idea what it is??

thanks

Ive got the beeps aswell... very rare and seems to be early hours of the morning when shes cold... freaked me out cuz the sound comes from behind you... i was like :wtf:

Sounds like the ice warning, its normally accompanied by the symbol of a snowflake on the DIS

It's the alarm unit battery backup failing. Common problem on the A3 alarm module. Will happen when it's cold as the backup battery is at it's worst.
Eventually it'll start going off randomly, setting the main clock radio alarm at 3am.
You have to buy the whole alarm/siren module which is about £80 and it's located very conveniently underneath the tupperware sub, so a bit of a pig to get to.

Thanks andymac do you know of any guides on how to change the siren over or is it just worth giving it to a garage?

Thanks

S3MHT said:
Thanks andymac do you know of any guides on how to change the siren over or is it just worth giving it to a garage?

Thanks

I think if you are confident to do it yourself, go for it, it's a 2hour+ job, so mainly labour on top of the new unit which is approx. £80
You also need to modify the hole in the old bracket for the new siren to fit, as it's slightly different shape.
Old:left new:right
02122006189.jpg

02122006188.jpg

im gettin the crappy beeps as well. not had it go off randomly yet tho just gonna hold on untill then b4 i get the new siren

Ours was doing this then the battery packed up I put a new battery on and it has not done it since, so if your battery is old could be worth investigating

i think id rather try and open up the siren and replace the NICAD's inside rather than spend 90 quid on it.

Or its your switch on the drivers door...I know mine does it once in a blue moon and also the door is closed but dis says no

jojo said:
I think if you are confident to do it yourself, go for it, it's a 2hour+ job, so mainly labour on top of the new unit which is approx. £80
You also need to modify the hole in the old bracket for the new siren to fit, as it's slightly different shape.

Hi jojo,

Don't suppose you've got the part number as it would appear my car has started doing the lovely 4 beeps fun every morning this week?

Cheers,

Ben.

god_thats_quick said:
Hi jojo,

Don't suppose you've got the part number as it would appear my car has started doing the lovely 4 beeps fun every morning this week?

Cheers,

Ben.

Here you go GTQ. A8L0 951 605A
;)

god_thats_quick said:
Cheers chap:beerchug:

That'll be another one of the FAQ crossed off my list, I wonder which will be next. :think:

Start of corrosion on the tops of quarter panels where it joins the roof, my 1999 S3 has some corrosion bubbling, currently going through Audi for a warranty claim, might aswell make use of the 12 year anti-corrosion warranty.

Nope, think I've already got that one... just noticed it starting a few weeks ago! Did you just go to Audi and moan or what (I don't really do dealerships anymore).

So... piston rings... block... turbo... heads... coilpacks... MAF... rear wiper thingy... rust... door latch... ARBs (twice)... all bushes... springs... dampers... joint thingys in rear hubs... alarm battery.

**** ME, I've got a new car!:lmfao:

Guess that just about leaves the gearbox and haldex to screw up and I've got a full house!

I better not add the bills up :faint:

god_thats_quick said:
Nope, think I've already got that one... just noticed it starting a few weeks ago! Did you just go to Audi and moan or what (I don't really do dealerships anymore).
I just turned up at reception and asked for help and advise on my 8 year old Audi, they sent a Warranty specific guy down to see me, and he was pretty helpful.

So... piston rings... block... turbo... heads... coilpacks... MAF... rear wiper thingy... rust... door latch... ARBs (twice)... all bushes... springs... dampers... joint thingys in rear hubs... alarm battery.

I have a long way to go yet then, but I've only done 55k miles, so time will tell...

Guess that just about leaves the gearbox and haldex to screw up and I've got a full house!

I better not add the bills up :faint:

Prey this one happens at low speed, having my transmission explode on a wet M42 at 55'ish MPH = car going sideways(the rears locked up momentarily), luckily I was able to dip the clutch and coast to the hard shoulder, with the gearbox mincing itself to death.