Got the bad news today :(

Effect

Reaction score
Took my car to JBS in chesterfield and they had it about 2 hours to dignose it.

the diagnosis was they want it now for an entire day to check for wiring faults etc.

so 8 hours x £45 = £360 + VAT = 420 odd quid as well as any parts that might be needed.

I bought the car 2 months ago and i reckon the chances of getting the place i bought it from to cough up are very slim.

I did buy a 2 year warranty with the car BUT it doesnt cover electrics.

Dude, if you bought if from a dealer then they have to warranty the car for 3 months minimum by law. You will be covered by The Sale of Goods Act which says any goods sold must be:
  • of satisfactory quality
  • fit for purpose, and
  • as described
This means the vehicle must be in the kind of condition you'd expect. To say it must be 'fit for purpose' means it must be safe and capable of carrying out the tasks it was sold to do. The car must also be 'as described'. For example, the dealer isn't allowed to sell a car advertised as having a 1.8L engine when in fact it's 1.6L.

Make them aware of the problem, ask them nicely first to dig deep once they have diagnose the problem. If they dont do anything, send a letter (call ConsumerDirect and log it with them first - they can advise). And wait 14 days. If still nothing, Trading Standards will get involved and it may go to small claims (after they have tried various dispute resolution avenues). Best of luck.

As stated above the electrics should be covered in that 1st three months, only problem I could see is maybe you should of contacted the garage you bought it from first?!?!?

Yes that is the preffered way to go - you have to let them know at the soonest opportunity. You could say that (depending on what the fault is - what is the fault??) you were unaware how serious it was until after it was taken to somwhere to be looked at. You thought it was just a bulb,fuse etc etc etc. They might be nice people and help you out!

right the guy I bought it from knows about it cutting out although I havent mentioned anything about it to him for about 4 or 5 weeks now.

The faults that have now come up on VAG COM are

Engine

17834 - EVAP purge valve (N80) Open circuit
p1246 - 35-10 - - Intermittent

16825 - EVAP Emission Control sys: Incorrect flow
p0441 - 35-00

Instruments

00859 - S-contact at ignition/starter switch (D)
31-1- - Open or short to ground - Intermittent

Central Locking (there are 10 in total most are just the alarm been set off from various different switches though)

01367 - Central locking pump run time exceeded (likely leak)
35-00

01366 - Opened due to crash signal

01365 - lock/unlock switch; short to ground

00991 - interior lights
28-00 - short to plus

00955 - Key 1
09-00 - Adaptation limit surpassed

00956 - Key 2

The guy at JBS reckons he will have to go through wiring looms to check for faults, and also could be a knackered central locking pump.

Like already said, if its a dealer then approach them now to put you in good stead

it wasnt an audi dealer just a garage that sold cars as well.

I have rang him he has more or less said he is gonna do **** all about it.
Get it sorted first he'll have a word with his partner but isnt promising anything.

So it looks like i pay the bill then hope and pray he doesnt screw me over (which I am expecting him to do now)

Effect said:
it wasnt an audi dealer just a garage that sold cars as well.

I have rang him he has more or less said he is gonna do **** all about it.
Get it sorted first he'll have a word with his partner but isnt promising anything.

So it looks like i pay the bill then hope and pray he doesnt screw me over (which I am expecting him to do now)

Threaten to take him to court and put something in writing to him. See what response you get

Do NOT pay for it under the vague premise they will pay for it after, I bought mine from an independant garage and he said the same thing, I told him I'd get the garage to invoice them, it was only for an MOT (which I got included with the car) and a set of brakes I think but even so I should not have to incur out of pocket expenses when it is his responsibility.

It doesnt matter if it is an independant garage or a dealer. The law says the vehicle has to be fit for purpose. You have 3 months warranty by law. Do not pay for anything except the work to diagnose so not to annoy the guys who have done the work. Call consumer direct, write a letter (loads of templates on their site) and wait for a response. If no response or unsatisfactory, then it will be passed to trading standards. Seriously, do this!

Just another point, you can actually claim up to 5 yrs of ownership of a vehicle if soemthing is wrong. Of course, that depends wholly on the problem and you are unlikely to get much if anything at that point but thats the law!

Central Locking (there are 10 in total most are just the alarm been set off from various different switches though)

01367 - Central locking pump run time exceeded (likely leak)
35-00

01366 - Opened due to crash signal

01365 - lock/unlock switch; short to ground

00991 - interior lights
28-00 - short to plus

00955 - Key 1

00956 - Key 2

The guy at JBS reckons he will have to go through wiring looms to check for faults, and also could be a knackered central locking pump.

The central locking run time exceeded happens if you have an aftermarket alarm, you trun the key the wrong way when unlocking, or if its ever had a slightly extended runtime due to pressure differences or an intermittent power signal.

So basically I don't think I've EVER seen a car without that coming up.
Its very unlikely that you need a new central locking pump. Clear the fault codes and see what comes back, it should only be the central locking pump, and don't worry about that at all.

Yeh, my S3 comes up with that fault all the time and it doesn't cause a problem.

I had a similar situation with my girlfriends FTO. We bought it from an independant with a so called excellent warranty. They arn't worth the paper they are written on! The gear box went after 2 weeks and warranty company wouldn't cover it. Spoke to the garage and he said we'd have to pay for it. Not happy with the answer, I contacted trading stds who said I definatley had a claim. Just the jesture of doing this and telling him that I'd logged it with Trading standard prompted him to pay up.

Going through trading standard then small claims may take a while but only costs you about £75 (someone correct me if I'm wrong) + the stress.

Don't let it lie with this garage. I don't know how these people sleep at night!

Anyway, good luck mate...I hope you get sorted soon.

In fairness to this bloke, when i bought the car he told me about a problem the car had, had and it hadnt happened since but if it did contact him.

Well it did happen again (pretty much 2 minutes after i got in the car) after much faffing about I finally came to the conclusion it was a sensor that was knackered which i was able to buy for £320 (trade price)

he agreed to pay for it (i bought it first as i could get it quicker than him) he sent me a cheque for the full amount after a week or so of dodging out of it.

Does anyone know what any of the other faults are likely to be caused by and how easily they are fixed ?