A3 Cambelt

nige1

Reaction score
Hi

Apologies up front I'm new to the forum ;-) Just had a nice man from the AA tell me my Cambelt has snapped. Luckily I was in a traffic jam and doing only 5-10mph and pulled over.

I would like a little advice from you experts out there if poss?

The car is an Audi A3 1.8S (2000) and is in reasonable condition, is it worth looking at repairing it or should I cut my losses and sell it on as a spares/repair job for someone obviously more qualified than I?? I know it probably depends on bent rods, piston heads and stuff just wondered best and worst case scenarios? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Nige1

Ok firstly get it checked by a mechanic because AA men dont know the front end of the car to the back end of the car. (Apologies to any AA men on here who know anything about cars). If it is worst case senario and you have bent 8 or 20 valves (what ever your engine has), and damaged 4 pistons, it is repairable. Wether it is going to be cheaper to put a new engine in or repair your engine im not too sure. Normally valves are 7-14 quid trade, sometimes you get these sodium filled exhaust valve ******** which can be expensive, up to 40 quid, dont know what the A3s have though mate never done any valves for them. What do you value your car at? somewhere between 3-4k? Worst case senario you put a reconditioned engine in her, say a grand including labour. Gotta be worth doing aint it??

Lets hope you got one of the divvy AA men who dont know the difference between a cam belt and a fan belt!

First job would be to put a new belt on and do a compression test as you may not have done any damage (and this will show how many cylinders have bent valves). whip the head off pop some new valves in (to replace any you have damaged) and away you go :)

neil.c said:
First job would be to put a new belt on and do a compression test as you may not have done any damage (and this will show how many cylinders have bent valves). whip the head off pop some new valves in (to replace any you have damaged) and away you go :)

Definately worth doing... as you said you were at a very low speed so therefore not running the car at high revs and luckily may have got away with little damage.... still think you should be able to get all the work done worst case for under 1k.

Good luck:icon_thumright:

Thanks for all the replies lads, much appreciated. I have a mechanic looking at the car who has come highly recommended will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again

N