rear sub and speakers not working

nick-barnes07

Reaction score
hi , i have a 2000 reg audi s3 , since i have bought it the rear speakers and sub have never worked , it was running on the standard concert unit when i first got it , and i now have a clarion cd player and they still dont work , i have checked all the fuses and they are fine , anyone had this problem before ??

is it bose or normal they are both amped the same way i think find the amp in the right hand side of the boot see if there is power going to it using a multimeter?
what have you tried so far??

If it's non Bose, you will not have an amp on the right, the amp is built into the crap standard factory sub, and runs the rear speakers and the sub speaker. So either it's blown or not wired correctly.

Regarding the amp for the rears and sub, I've got the same problem (not working) How can you tell that the amps not working? Is there a separate fus that's not in the fuse box?
cheers

I think it runs off the same wiring as the HU, so it's unlikely to be a fuse. Check the red plug with a multimeter and make sure it's getting perm live and remote on 12v when the HU is on.
If it is then the amp inside the enclosure is at fault. You can pick up replacement tupperware subs on ebay for around £30.

managed to pull out the concert (cassette) deck to check the wires, none were lose so I pushed it back in, now the ******' stereo won't come on!!!! nor will the boot changer eject the cartdridge!!! Anyone got a clue?

dot32 said:
managed to pull out the concert (cassette) deck to check the wires, none were lose so I pushed it back in, now the ******' stereo won't come on!!!! nor will the boot changer eject the cartdridge!!! Anyone got a clue?

Seem like there's no power getting to your audio equipment, I would check the fuses first.

Checked the fuses in fuse box, all were fine, but then found fuse on back of stereo and it was blown!! don't know why the changer wouldn't eject but with fuse changed everthing working!!!! cheers for the advice!

actually, when I say everything working... the rear speakers and sub still not working, looking forward to striping the boot just to get to the audi sub and amp, now where's that haynes manual...

dot32 said:
actually, when I say everything working... the rear speakers and sub still not working, looking forward to striping the boot just to get to the audi sub and amp, now where's that haynes manual...

Goodluck with this part, it's easy when you know how, but first attempt is fun!

I'm in the same position, but I'm taking the oppurtunity to upgrade the sub to a Bose one (I'm also getting a small amp to power the rears).

I've taken the Bose sub apart and repaired the wiring (which is probably why I got it so cheap!). The 2 speakers and amp are not big at all, so you may be able to get to them out without removing all the trim. You'll have to undo the 3 bolts and unclip the sub from the base to get it to give you enough space for the removal (I guess!).

I'll look forward to hearing how you get on.

Went to have a go yesterday, with haynes manual in hand, and have stalled at the first hurdle with the rear seat back being stuck - can't release the f*****g catch! Gave up after nearly bending the backrest and had a beer instead... will try again next weekend.

Hi, I have just found out that I have got the same problem that the rear speakers and standard sub dont work, could anyone point me in the right direction first, just the clear some things up first. My car have got an aftermarket pioneer cd player in it aswell! Arnt the front and rear speakers connected up directly through the back of the head unit? Also does any body know the watts or rms of the standard sub aswell?

cheers Paul

Whoever put in the Pioneer has probably not bothered to use an adapter to provide the feed to the sub amp (which also powers the rears). Pull the HU and wire up the rear RCA's to the 20 pin mini ISO connector (black or multicoloured), using the RCA input adapter (link below).
http://www.bluespot.co.uk/install/show_model.asp?id=15
Scroll down to the PC9-404 (available in larger Halfords or Maplins)
You'll need to connect the blue flying lead to the Pioneers remote on or power antenna wire. While you're there check they wired in an antenna amp adapter as well otherwise the radio will be very weak.
The stock sub is a wapping 50w with 2 x 20w going to the rears from the same amp inside the tupperware enclosure. The fronts are the only speakers wired off the HU and again the stock HU delivers 2 x 20w.
If you want decent sound then add a sub and it'll transform the overall quality.

Hi cheers andy,

Ive had a look at from what I can see and having a look at the link that you provided me with it looks like the previous person brought PC9-401. So the radio signal is weak. I have brought a aerial amplifier but I doesnt seem to have improved the signal that much!!! I am going to put a sub in the boot, but im just contemplating on weather to change the whole system and run all three outputs from my head unit to my amp, were I could then power the front, rear and a sub off a larger and seperate amp. How easy is it to change the front and rear speakers in an A3 and do you know what size they r i.e. diameter and depth?

Cheers

the fronts are 4" components with 1" tweeters the rears are 6.5" coxials.
The only depth constraint is the fronts. You can fit 5.25" units but only have 55mm depth and you'll need adapter rings on all speakers as they have a non standard fixing.
Have you wired up the aerial amp to a 12v supply? Otherwise it won't work.
The speakers are prety easy to upgrade once you have the adapters, but they are all rear mounted on flimsy hardboard door cards so don't expect any improvement in mid bass. The rear door cards are just held on with spring clips, which can be quite stubborn, just ensure you open the back windows and pull up the window rubbers. The fronts are released with the 2 visible screws at the top and then 2 main screws hidden behind the grab handle. Just remove the screw inside the handle and push the plastic cuff down to reveal them. Best to remove the fronts with the windows down.

Ive wired the aerial amplifier up the to remote lead which it tells me to do it the instruction manual.
to get the back seat out ya you have to take the seat out or any think? also were is the best place to run the power through from that battery i.e. is there any grommets or any think? also which side is it best to run the cable down is I have done this before and one side has less wires than the other!
one other thing have you upgraded your speakers and what speakers did u wire in?
also did you wire the tweeter back into the loom for the speakers? do the conectors come with the base plates?

Just release the seat base, flip it up and squeeze the 2 hinge pins together and it comes out. Then fold the back down.
Power runs through the spare grommet up near the pollen filter on the passenger side, this drops down behind the glovebox.
PowerCableRoute3mid.jpg

I run all cables down passenger side.
You need component speakers for the fronts including tweeters, do not use the stock tweeters or the wiring from the mid to the stock tweeter.

Cheers for the imfo, just sorting my system I would of never found that gromet without you telling me!!! Another question is that on the link shown below http://www.bluespot.co.uk/install/show_model.asp?id=15 the PC9-404 it state that it should be used with a Blaupunkt aftermarket unit. Is this connector block still compatable with a pioneer head unit?