Thinking of a change

S

S3IZZO

Having only owned my S3 only a few months I have managed to drive it a total of about 9 miles, since then it's been in 2 garages (and i've been without any form of transport for over a month). I've spent a total of £1400 on repairs and towing charges and the car is still not fixed (loud knocking sound coming from the engine). It's had a big list of things done to it and next on the list is a new oil pump and gaskets.

Reading through the forum on a semi regular basis this section seems to be cluttered with posts of knocking sounds and engine problems and i'm now wondering if once the car is eventually fixed if it's a good idea for me to keep the car or not.

The reason I chose the S3 in the first place is the relatively low insurance costs for me considering the appalling list of convictions on my licence and the power the car gives for a relatively low buying price.

If I do sell the car i'm looking at a £2k+ loss but i'm thinking a £2k loss now may be better than an even larger loss in the future given the apparent unreliability (at least of my car).

So the next question is what to go for next if I do change? I would be looking for something slightly newer (At least a 2003) in the same kind of insurance bracket.

Off the top of my head something along the lines of a Mk5 Golf R32 or an A3 3.2Q although of the two I think i'd favour the Golf.

Have any S3 owners driven anything that they were impressed with in the past few years or does anyone have any suggestions of anything I should test drive?

Sorry to hear you've had such a tough time of it mate, it seems your car might be a bit of a bad egg? But then again surely when you've had it all fixed up there won't be much left to go wrong, so someone else will benefit from all the work you've done? Just a thought...

In terms of new motors, if you have convictions on your licence then I wouldn't recommend going for an R32. In my experience the insurance has been considerably higher on an R32 due to its nickability factor (popular car for car jacking and stealing and driving backwards into shops etc.).

Yeah a damn shame that your car has suffered. Were all the problems there when you bought it or were they a very unpleasant surprise?

I've only had a quote on a Mk4 R32 and that came in @ £100/year more than the S3...reason I went for the S3 is it's far more tunable for a more sensible figure than the R32 but that's not too high on my list of priorities anymore.

Spacecowboy said:
Yeah a damn shame that your car has suffered. Were all the problems there when you bought it or were they a very unpleasant surprise?

It made the trip back from London just fine, I didn't have a driving licence at that point hence why I never got the chance to drive it...no problems at all.

I got my licence back 2 weeks later, I made it to work but never made it back so it was a complete suprise. All credit to the previous owner though..he has been very helpful and calls me on a regular basis for updates etc so i'm quite sure it was a suprise to both of us.

Gutted. And you dont have a definitive response as to what could be wrong with it? Sounds big end to me. Private sale I'm guessing?

Sorry buddy - dont mean to go over old ground if you have done all this before! You just want a resolution I bet - not a reminder.

Not as yet no, so far cam tensioner has been replaced along with the chain, cam belt, water pump (60k mile service)...the cam tensioner had failed as that was thought to be the problem...the car had this all done around 8,000 miles ago by big boys toys in London (I have the receipts for all the work previously done) but it was decided it was probably a good idea to do all the work again!

Next they are taking the sump off for inspection and replacing the oil pump and gaskets as mentioned before.

Yes it was a private sale so no warranty, car sold as seen etc.

the problem is probably to do with some words in your last post.....
big boys toys......

Heard nothing but bad things about these guys!

is it still at BBT?

mark

I had similar problems with my a4. Before i bought it the cambelt snapped and it was repaired at a vw garage and i have receipts for £2k. I bought it about 6 months after that was done. It was fine at first but soon i noticed smoke coming out of the exhaust. Took it into the garage and at first they had no idea what it was but eventually they decided it could be head gasket. They stripped it down and realised it needed a complete new head. Apparently something to do with the valve lifters. If the cambelt snaps and you dont change them it will keep happening. So i replaced the head and lifters etc £1500 later and it's sweet as a nut. Now i figure i've spent so much on it i've got to keep it as long as poss.

Too bad there isnt a way of tying up the problems back to Big Boys Toys. By the way, is that a gay s*x shop or something? Worst name for a car related business ever!

I too have heard nothing but bad things about them.

Ive a similar bad luck with mine.... not with the engine... more along the lines of w@nkers careless behaviour damaging my car... drives u round the bend... but dont be beaten... find a decent garage and have the car repaired... but while your there have it rebuilt bigger and faster than ever... the feeling at the end of it is well worth it. Good luck young skywalker:icon_thumright: let the force be with you lol

Agree with Bouncer Daz. But if you are asked if you want 'speed holes', say no thanks:lmfao:

I was quite happy with the speed as it was, but I had plans for resprays and retrims and all of this (and the £3k+ i've spent on wheels) has eaten into that budget somewhat and now i'm not sure if it's what I want anymore...boo-hoo :lmfao:

Funky_Junky said:
Sorry to hear you've had such a tough time of it mate, it seems your car might be a bit of a bad egg? But then again surely when you've had it all fixed up there won't be much left to go wrong, so someone else will benefit from all the work you've done? Just a thought...

In terms of new motors, if you have convictions on your licence then I wouldn't recommend going for an R32. In my experience the insurance has been considerably higher on an R32 due to its nickability factor (popular car for car jacking and stealing and driving backwards into shops etc.).

Funny you say that, there was a R32 on Vcar going around my area with so many stories to it. One which was a definate was it had been used for a ram raid!!!! Lovely blue one aswell, Think it was on a 52 plate and he got rid for £10200 last year - Vcar though eh...

S3IZZO said:
I was quite happy with the speed as it was, but I had plans for resprays and retrims and all of this (and the £3k+ i've spent on wheels) has eaten into that budget somewhat and now i'm not sure if it's what I want anymore...boo-hoo :lmfao:

Get the car sorted.....
Then enjoy it, Dont let someone else benefit form your input.!
The car looks very very well on te Lm's you got any pics of it on the Rs's?

mark

tc3nitro said:
Get the car sorted.....
Then enjoy it, Dont let someone else benefit form your input.!
The car looks very very well on te Lm's you got any pics of it on the Rs's?

mark

The RS's are having the lips mirror polished, the centres chrome powder coated, the nuts polished, polished badges and chrome split rim nuts at the moment...it's a fairly lenghty process but I should get them back in a week or so.

They will look something like this, only 18" with larger dishes (with chrome powder coated centres):

rs1.jpg

you wheel whore......

they are very very luuvly.!!!!

hope you get the car sorted ok.

Lovin those wheels! Very bling! I've had a few probs with mine the MAF sensor went the other week, bushes have been replaced and I need the tensioner thing doing as it makes a funny vibration noise when I start my car up and when I set off does my head in! But it's quite expensive to do as you have to take the cam belt off so that can wait a while me thinks!

S3 Jen said:
Lovin those wheels! Very bling! I've had a few probs with mine the MAF sensor went the other week, bushes have been replaced and I need the tensioner thing doing as it makes a funny vibration noise when I start my car up and when I set off does my head in! But it's quite expensive to do as you have to take the cam belt off so that can wait a while me thinks!

I think it's one of those things you should do sooner rather than later as it could end up costing you a whole heap more if it fails!!

I've got to say S3Izzo, you are taking things pretty well, considering you have only done 9 miles in the car in 2 months, I know I would be pi55ed!
Hope it works out for you bud, R32 is a nice car, but interior is a different class over the S3, 8P 3.2 Quattro is a nice machine also...

jojo said:
I've got to say S3Izzo, you are taking things pretty well, considering you have only done 9 miles in the car in 2 months, I know I would be pi55ed!

Well I must admit it's not the best of situations to be in but getting angry and worked up over it isn't really going to solve a great deal at the end of the day so why bother.

jojo said:
Hope it works out for you bud, R32 is a nice car, but interior is a different class over the S3, 8P 3.2 Quattro is a nice machine also...

I quite like the optional buckets on the Mk5 R32, they are simlar if not exactly the same as the RS4?...I think the interior of the Mk5 isn't quite a cheap as the Mk4.

The 8P 3.2 Quattro i'm sure is a great car, it ticks all the boxes except in the looks department, it just seems a bit bland to me and not that "special".

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the end of this week brings...doesn't look like i'll be at Inters though :notme:

Update on this, I just had an email with an update:

It’s not good news I’m afraid, this morning we removed the sump and the main bearings have picked up on a couple of them, the sump was very heavy in metal.
In short we are looking at a full rebuild. The sump has been removed previously by someone, it may be that the previous owner had an issue and did a quick fix to hide this issue and unfortunately you have got the blunt end of the stick.

Is anyone interested in parts if I scrap it or interested in buying it as it is?

Ouch, Really sorry to hear that mate.
Whats the cost of the overall 'putting it right' situation??

Completely unknown...I'd guess around £1600 labour where the car currently is (they are cheap labour @ £35/hour) plus parts (Which it's not known exactly what they are).

I'd guestimate the total cost to me would be around £4k including the £1400 already spent....bit less than 40% of what the car cost me a few months ago, the whole thing has really left a sour taste in my mouth and it's unlikely I will ever buy a 2nd hand car (privately) again.

it may be a cheaper option to take a slight risk and buy a 2nd hand engine from a scrapped s3, ive seen a few low millage ones kicking about on e-bay recently.

May work out cheaper than a rebuild. Really gutted to hear this :(

If you do sell the car sell the wheels separately - they are worth a small fortune, especially to the Mk4 guys

Sorry to read about all of your trouble. Just wondering though, if you were to sell it, how much would you be looking for? Im looking for a s3 at the moment. Thanks and good luck! I hope it all works out for you bud!

I've been offered £4.5k for the car as it is...the wheels are already spoken for regardless of what happens to the car.

I've already spent a fair bit on the engine that's already in it, seems a stupid idea to fit an engine out of a write off when it'd cost the same to get the current engine completely stripped and rebuilt and knowing the engine would be sound for a fair few miles more and not having any idea of past history of the other engine (could end up with 2 dead engines in another 10 miles).

Anyway, back to the original question...what do I go for now?...S4 Cab?...need to go make a short list :)

Mk4 R32 with either a supercharger or turbo conversion. My mate is looking into getting a supercharger for his mk3 Vr6 so ive spent a bit of time on youtube looking at vids of them.(sad i know but not much else to do!!) Sound the absolute berries!!!

6 cylinders with turbo's or superchargers just sound right! I was in Norway the other week and an E30 M3 went past with a turbo on it. Without doubt the greatest sounding turbo noise ive ever heard in the flesh!

6 cylinders with turbo's or superchargers just sound right! I was in Norway the other week and an E30 M3 went past with a turbo on it. Without doubt the greatest sounding turbo noise ive ever heard in the flesh!

E30 M3's are 4 cylinder :icon_thumright:

Problem sorted (Hopefully), ordering a brand new short block direct from Audi, basicly with the amount of work done i'll have a new engine.

Total spend so far (£3734) :rockwoot:

Good to hear mate.
Cant wait to see what you've got planned for it when its fixed.

Jaywoo_A3 said:
Good to hear mate.
Cant wait to see what you've got planned for it when its fixed.

Those plans have been put back somewhat by this, but plans will still go ahead, just maybe put back a few months.

Should get my new interior/seats by the end of July I think

As long as you enjoy the car it dont matter how long it takes to finish it, ive had mine 3 years now and its still is not finished.
Just hope it gets finished before i buy a S3?

I guess that's true, really wanted it all done for Edition 38 this year though so i've got until 31st of August and a lot of saving to do!

Good look mate, Hope to see your S3 there then. I might even have one by then, Fingers crossed!