How to bed brembos in?

bantam1

Reaction score
As per title - getting a second hand brembo kit fitted this week, but with new discs and pads, and wondering what the best way to bed these brakes in is. Brembo website advises light/moderate braking for 3 secs from various speeds for 30 or so times with 1/2 mile between each to allow cooling. Doesn't sound overly practical to me considering local driving conditions!

I want to get the best out of this investment so wanted to bed the brakes in properly. I am getting grooved brembo discs with Ferodo DS2500s fitted.

Suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,

B.

OK.

Well thats exactly what you have to do, even the DS2500 box says to bed in hard.

Basically, get the car to 60-70mph, brake until the ABS nearly kicks in. do this until you have smoke coming off the brakes.

You dont have to wait the 1/2 mile, just dont go doing it constantly.

You should produce scaring small children amount of smoke.

It should not however fade (I've never got DS2500's to fade on the road).

Then drive about for half an hour on a motorway or something where you dont have to brake to cool them down.

Get home, park car, leave for a good few ours.

Several people before have made the mistake of not bedding the DS2500's in hard enough, then wonder why their track performance is rubbish.

Then suddenly, next session, the brakes are great.

Dave_Bayern said:
OK.

Well thats exactly what you have to do, even the DS2500 box says to bed in hard.

Basically, get the car to 60-70mph, brake until the ABS nearly kicks in. do this until you have smoke coming off the brakes.

You dont have to wait the 1/2 mile, just dont go doing it constantly.

You should produce scaring small children amount of smoke.

It should not however fade (I've never got DS2500's to fade on the road).

Then drive about for half an hour on a motorway or something where you dont have to brake to cool them down.

Get home, park car, leave for a good few ours.

Several people before have made the mistake of not bedding the DS2500's in hard enough, then wonder why their track performance is rubbish.

Then suddenly, next session, the brakes are great.

OK cheers - no chance of damaging the new discs by being this harsh then?

Unlikely, as they are proper ones, and grooved.

My discs are OK, and black diamond.

Plenty other people on the trackdays do it too, running a variety of disks. As long as you let it cool down properly they'll be fine.

Maybe do it at night so there isnt much traffic about.

You might want to make sure there is nothing loose inside the car or you might end up with a smashed windscreen or a headache.

The DS2500's have their own bedding in procedure which you will find in a leaflet in the box but it goes like this :-

25-30 brake applications (duration 4 secs) of 50% race pedal pressure. The object of the exercise is to build heat up GRADUALLY.

You will find that during this process (when the heat builds up) that you will get a very hard, wooden pedal with very little braking effort. Just allow the brakes to cool slightly between each application and you will notice that you get brake response back as the pads cool a little.

It's quite disconcerting to have the pads fade so quickly during this bedding in process but follow the procedure closely and then drive for a few miles to get plenty of cooling air flow over them then go home and allow to cool completely.
When you go out next you will be amazed at the bite, response and overall performance of these pads.

Be warned, you may get plenty of cold, low speed squeal, you need to get plenty of heat into these pads to get the best from them.

See also here :-
http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/919001.aspx