Rear Suspension Arm Sheared Off !!!

SometimesInAHurry

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got a bit of a shock the other day when my rear suspension arm on my W reg A3 TS Quattro sheared off at the wheel end. Luckily I was only pulling away when it happened.

Anyways on inspection it looked like the arm had been rusting around the edges for a bit before it sheared, so I dutifully went of and slapped hands for a new one from audi £79. It took a bit of manouvering to get it on but I got there in the end.

Yesterday (About three weeks after I fixed it the first time) it popped again, same place. (This time I was quite seriously planting the throttle round a corner) :crying:

Has anyone got any Ideas what might cause this ?

My poor motor is on the drive looking sad with a VERY wonky wheel, do I get air lifted to the stealers and go bankrupt or is there another way?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

In the meantime I'll go back to my crying in a dark corner.

(I have some pictures but I am not sure how to post them) I will get some on here when I have figured it out.

sounds like the sale of goods act is the one to go for, clearly the arm wasn't fit for the intended purpose. usually there's a clause in the dealers small print that says their liabillity is limited to the replacement cost of the item so i wouldn't expect much joy out of asking for transport to their workshop but it's worth a shot for nothing. to be fair if i was a dealer and that'd have happened i'd be wanting to see the car to try to find out the cause of failure anyway.

Is this the same problem they had with early S3's and TT's where they had a recall for a faulty batch of lower suspension arms with bushes that seize?

Have you had a squeak coming from the rear suspension recently...?

I take it it was the NEW arm that broke on you the 2nd time, or was it an old one...?
poor lubrication of bushes at the reart end is main culprit of broken rear arms..

Didn't notice any squeak from rear that got me worried.

Yes it was the new arm that bust on me the second time.

Is it the bushes on the hub that are a problem ? As the new arm has a new bit o rubber in the end that is mounted to the chassis....

Seems like adamsS3 had the same grief although I dont think i've mangled anything drive related.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?p=275122#post275122

Which end of the arm broke fella, inboard (centre of the car) or th outboard end near the hub...? bit more info would help...

simch said:
Which end of the arm broke fella, inboard (centre of the car) or th outboard end near the hub...? bit more info would help...

It was the outboard end near the hub.... Here's a new pic of the offending article.

Been driving the missus's focus for a couple of weeks and am starting to go insane.

The standard arms really are flimsy but you've definitely got a problem, the bush in the hub should be free to pivot - I would check this if I were you.

The arms on our S3 were changed under the recall by Audi, you seem to have a problem if your car keeps breaking 'em

neil.c said:
The arms on our S3 were changed under the recall by Audi, you seem to have a problem if your car keeps breaking 'em

Yup,I had mine changed with the recall also, no problems at all for the last 4 years. (touchwood)

jojo said:
Yup,I had mine changed with the recall also, no problems at all for the last 4 years. (touchwood)

I have been trying to find out more info on the suspension recall. Was it for the arm itself (the fault was with the bush in the Arm, Inboard end ?) As I have replaced an arm and it's snapped on me I am assuming the fault is with the bushes in the hub.

The car is well out of warranty and I'm a bit on the skint side, so anyone know...

a: How much agro it is to get the little f**ka's out the hub and some shiny new ones back in again.

b: If it's a world of hurt then how much it will cost (approx) to get them (Bushes on hub's) replaced by someone who knows what they are doing?

c: if it is worth using OEM or some posh aftermarket (powerflex) jobs ?

Just in case there wasn't enough questions for ya... these are descriptions of the rear powerflex bushes, does the "rear wishbone inner bush" refer to the bushes on the hub or the bushes in the suspension arm as I cant seem to find a diagram on their site?

Rear Wishbone Front Mounting Bush 2 per car (each)PFR3-508
Rear Wishbone Inner Bush 4 per car (each)PFR3-510

If you're reading this then cheers for sticking with me.... :salute:

I'm sure you can bring up a list of recalls with the DVLA or VOSA, forget which one it is. The fault lies with a batch of faulty lower arm bushes fitted to early S3's and certain TT's with a certain chassis code, where the bush would seize and snap the ends of the lower arms as you have pictured.

that shows all early cars up to end feb 2000 are affected by "seized ball joints!" sounds like your issue fella!!