S3 - Knackered engine

jeremygs

Reaction score
Had the head gasket go on my S3 on Friday. It's the second time I've had head related problems with the car (head replaced 18 months ago). The garage it was recovered to had a look and have suggested the it needs a new engine as fixing the gasket probably won't fix the engine - apparently there's little or no compression so the problem may be bigger. I don't believe they're trying it on as they haven't said "we think you need a new engine, we just happen to something suitable right here".

Anyway, I'm considering a secondhand engine as the cost of a new one would probably be close to the value of the car. There's a couple of possibles on eBay, one's a early 210 engine and the other's a 225 (mine's a facelift 210). The 225 looks like the best deal as it's cheaper than the 210 and comes with some other bits I might be able to use or sell on. Can anyone tell me if this would go in to my car? How about the 210? If it's a no on both of these, what engine code should I be looking for? Will replacing the engine affect the remap, i.e. will I lose it or will the new engine be able to cope with it? Is there anything else I should be thinking of?

what engine code is your s3. Ideally you need one to be the same, it IS possible to but another code motor in it, but ECUs can stuggle to be made to work correctly.
Look for your engine code on the left side of the cylinder head, (front top left looking from the bonnet) its stamped in dots there. Will be 3 letters, and should be in your service book too.

BUt beware of 2nd hand motros with unknown history etc, it may be better to fix yours. What happened to it to creak down, ie what were the symptoms of it stopping on you, (driving all went dead) will not start, overheating...etc.

Don't know the engine code and the car is in the garage so can't check (that's why I asked if anyone could tell me ;)).

Symptoms were as follows:

1. Coolant warning on dash
2. Smoke from rear of car (start to pull over at this point)
3. Temp guage off scale
4. Engine management light on
5. Car chugging (get on to the hard shoulder here)
6. Battery warning light now on
7. Smoke also from under the bonnet.
8. Pop bonnet, engine smoking, looks like oil release from somewhere.
9. Add coolant which just boils off straight away
10. Check oil filler cap, find emulsion
11. Wait for car to cool down, add more coolant
12. Try to start car, almost nothing, tries but fails to even turn over
13. Call breakdown service.
14. Miss flight to Amsterdam as stuck on hard shoulder of M4

All in all not the best thing to experience, particularly on the wrong side of 6am when you need to be somewhere in a hurry...

it will be on the sticker inside your service book if you have that. otherwise, er why not call the garage that have it and ask them to check motor of boot sticker, (same as service book sticker!) ......... as opposed to all us lot, they are- 1. professional mechanics
2. have the car there...!
Its a crazy idea I know, but it might just work!! :)