S3 uses 1 litre of Oil every 1000 miles

MingBluS3

Reaction score
I spoke to Audi about this and they said it is normal.

surely not!

What about everyone else?

In the first couple of thousand it drank it like a fish however since then it has calmed down and has a litre every 6k or so.

Audi just say that, so you buy their 'special' oil and so they can recoup the costs of all those coilpacks they had to shell out for.

Exaclty, why would one use a litre every 1000 miles and others use none at all. Regardless of mileage, if there are no leaks where is it all going.. Smoke maybe?

Just some engineering thoughts on oil consumption which may put your mind at rest:

1 litre of oil per 1000 miles with the following (conservative) assumptions...

If your average RPM over each mile is 2500 RPM
And your average speed is 30 MPH (1 mile every 2 minutes)

Then your engine will turn 5000 times per mile

So

Every 1000 miles your engine has completed 5 million revolutions

And so each cylinder will have consumed a 20 millionth of a litre of oil per stroke (or a 20 thousandth of a millilitre) - ever heard that phrase 'the square root of f*ck all' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Whether this is occuring due to manufacturing tolerances in the valve guides of loss of oil through the oil control rings on the pistons, I would, for once, agree with the unqualified opinion of the dealership....

That is - - - Don't worry about it - check the level and enjoy your engine

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Certainly puts it into perspective, Mutley /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wonder why some engines don't consume as much as others though - there must be some kind of scientific reason, surely?

[ QUOTE ]
Mutley said:
ever heard that phrase 'the square root of f*ck all' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

I think the reason some engines use oil and some not depends on:

1. The tolerances in the valve guides - this reason is almost independent of how the car has been run in. Driving style may be a factor here since oil usage through the valve guides is increased by using engine braking. The increase in vacuum causes oil to be sucked down the guides.

2. Bore and piston oil ring state. This is affected by running-in. Gentle running in causes the adjacent rings to 'rub' against the cylinder honing marks (on a microscopic scale of course), whereas hard driving causes the rings to 'bounce' over the marks thereby wearing them unevenly. It is important not to change the initial oil fil too quickly since a tiny amount of abrasion is necessary during the early phases of this 'rubbing'.

The second reason would also explain why some cars reduce their oil consumption after 30k or so.

Ive just done 6k from 0miles. and had to put 1L of oil in. I was expecting that, it says something along the lines of 1L per every 5000km in the handbook. (I think).

Ive covered 6k from new and the oil level has not moved.
I did not run the car in either.
It also showed 226.4 BHP standard on the AMD RR before the remap.
Bass.

My S3's used less than a litre in 10k miles. Its just turned over to 60k on the clock.

Great info Mutley cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Although you clearly have too much time on youre hands /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Well i just got to thinking of something other than Denise Richards when lying in the bath... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif