nos, would you?

Starry

S3 8V saloon... APR Stage 2....(-:
Reaction score
has anyone ever used it? do you guys see it as cheating? i dont know if i would use it but i have seen a chipped TT getting good 1/4 mile times with the use of a 50bhp shot.

Personally no, from what I've read you dont notice NOS a hell of a lot unless your engine is fairly large in size and as with any modification on stock internals it carries a risk of shortening the lifespan of the engine, but then take my opinion with a pinch of salt as I am reluctant to modify an engine from factory defaults unless I'm using it on a track.

I would say yes, if your using the car purely for track days etc and no, it you use the car as a daily driver.

If installed correctly and a 'wet' kit is used then it should be fine....I use The Phirm for all my mechanical needs and Tim has been running NOS in his cars for years with no problems at all...

Back in the days of GTI international at TRL he would run his cars up the strip til it ran out and then go home and fill up the tanks again and then drive back for more racing...

I'd love it but I know I would use it too much and it would cost me a fortune!!

Had a 50 shot on my impreza... Was great fun, just addictive!.

would i need to upgrade the exhaust or would it not damage the cat? i think ill look in to it. after reading up on it, it seems ok if its done right. you can arm and disarm it on a switch and have a seprate swith on the go peddle and this only allows nos at full throttle.. any ideas on good instalers in the south west?

seen it on 5th gear when they put NOS into a 1.5 diesiel or something VW and it could beat a NSX over a quarter mile lol...doubt it'd last long runnin that much power tho.

Starry said:
would i need to upgrade the exhaust or would it not damage the cat? i think ill look in to it. after reading up on it, it seems ok if its done right. you can arm and disarm it on a switch and have a seprate swith on the go peddle and this only allows nos at full throttle.. any ideas on good instalers in the south west?

But I always put my foot down!!!

QUATTRO_REP said:
seen it on 5th gear when they put NOS into a 1.5 diesiel or something VW and it could beat a NSX over a quarter mile lol...doubt it'd last long runnin that much power tho.

I remember that, they tested it on overtaking a lorry and it made a huge difference!

TheSpaceCowboy said:
Personally no, from what I've read you dont notice NOS a hell of a lot unless your engine is fairly large in size and as with any modification on stock internals it carries a risk of shortening the lifespan of the engine, but then take my opinion with a pinch of salt as I am reluctant to modify an engine from factory defaults unless I'm using it on a track.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine had nos fitted to his swift GTI 1.3 then difference it made was insane. never broke the engine either, when he sold the car the kit came off and was sold seperately.

I know of a chap who has it for his mk2 golf with a twenty valve in and he uses it up the strips and as a daily drive and has done for two years I've known him
http://www.big-bang.co.uk/report2007.htm
Hes at the bottom of the page in the table..second from bottom

Ive had it fitted on my previous car and it was great, made a huge difference, and you only pay for the extra power when you need it unlike other mods which cost you on the fuel bill every time you use the car.
Works really really well on turbo cars as it reduces the temp by up to 80 degrees.
Get a "wet kit" and if you are going anything over a 50 shot then try and stretch to a progressive system and this gives a nice linear delivery of power and torque.
Basically though it give you a large torque increase and thats what give you the sudden gush of acceleration.
Wizards of No2(WON) are who I have used before and their kits are reputed to be the best on the world. (I seem to remember that on his site they have a modded cupra running a 50 shot, you may have to search the threads to find it)
After I upgrade my brakes this will be my next serious modification.

Wizards of nos kit is the way to go definately, ideally with a progressive controller, dont properly its the safest tuning method there is.

There are loads of myths about it blowing engines up etc, but they are all based on shonky america dry kits, not a modern well made kit like a WON streetblaster 100i kit etc.

As for "you wont notice the difference in a small engined car" ive never read such nonsense, of course you will!

for example my friends 2.0 nova runs a 13.4 quarter off gas, and with the nitrous we have on it, it runs a 12.4 instead.

The difference is HUGE on a well installed kit.

The downside is the cost of the gas itself though!