alignment

s3ollie

Reaction score
Just had a 4 wheel alignment done to my s3.....

firstly it say on the report sheet that its been set up to a AUDI A3 Sportsline 96-02.
These are shurley not the same settings as the S3 are they?

Also they couldnt get the rear toe correct as the trailing arm is touching the chassis and wont go any further out. its set to 2.5 per side now that the closest it will go.

Anyone have any input?

Cheers

got in done in fareham near portsmouth was £49.95

Do you know the full history of the car?

If the trailing arm is touching the chassis then potentially it could have been invloved in an accident resulting in the bodyshell now being out of alignment.

I seriously hope this is not the case but how else could it be that far out of alignment?

when i say touching the chassis i mean where you undo the bolts to move the trailing arm across the plate can't be moved any further because its right up to the chassis i.e. at full adjustment. its not rubbing or anything like that it just cant be made to go any further coz the chassis is in the way

I hear what your saying but it should be possible to perform correct alignment as the scope of the adjustment should be within manufacturers variance.

maybe it because its lowered that its not go in correct its the same both sides! the toe shopuld be 1.8 max according to the sheet i got and its 2.5 so .7 out

if its lowered is it def the toe and not the camber thats out then ???? you need adjustable rear arms to set a lowered S3 up correctly

i have the forge tie arms and the camber is correct but just cant get the toe into the tollerance.

does anyone know if the A3 sportsline 96-02 and an S3 1999 suspension settings are the same??

s3ollie said:
does anyone know if the A3 sportsline 96-02 and an S3 1999 suspension settings are the same??

There is no Sportline spec for the 8L A3, and the suspension is totall different on an S3 over A3, as it has 4WD and is slightly wider.

it say on the results sheet from the garage: Audi, A3, 96-02, sportsline (1GD, 1GK, 1GL).

I guess this means its at the wrong settings then??? I didnt notice until i got home looking at the sheet. ieven took the right settings printed off Elsawin but they said 'no no its all on the computer!!'

Is it a uk car?

There were sporsline a3's just not here

wasnt a silver one was it ollie?

i saw a silver one comming into portsmouth from fareham way yesterday afternoon..... looked lovely :)

as for teh settings, it does sound a little strange.....

if theyre for a fwd A3, i assume they would be wrong as they have totally different rear suspension setups....

i had mine done by pro tyre in fareham, they seemed pretty good.

Its a real prob. Many rely on the computer giving the correct settings and then default to the closest vehicle if it isn't on there. I had this when I did my Mk2 Gti. Took a whole lot of argy bargy before they agreed to do it properly and manually to factory specs. Was it done on a generic 4 wheel alignment machine or a Beissbarth?

No prawn mines black. but funny you should say about protyre, thats where i got it done and it say A3 on the print out.

I'll have to take it back and get em to sort it properly!

Shurley the s3 must be on the database they have?

if not the S3 then maybe get them to compare to the TT or R32,

TT is same suspension but different wheelbase.
R32 same wheelbase diff suspension.