power running the S3

sitrials

Reaction score
Website
www.m-a-d.co.uk
I want to get a power run on my S3 jabbasport are booked up for months.
and they all said they would have to take off the rear drive shafts as they can actually mess up the power readings if the rear wheels are in motion.
mine was remapped when i bought it but i just really want to find out what its pumping out!
someone said about using VAG COM but i can't see how that would work!:think:

Look on here, CGTI, and seat cupra.net and just piggy back one of their rolling road days?

sitrials said:
i'm still gonna have to disconnect my drive shafts NO?

Not if you use a decent four wheel rolling road. There's no real reason to disconnect the rears, unless the operator doesn't know how to get around it. And probably why Jabba's power figures are way too high.

using vag-com as a dyno:

http://forums.audiworld.com/vag/msgs/457.phtml

I'd argue that only a 4wd dyno would give you an accurate result on your power delivery. If they say that it affects the readings because the rear wheels are activated, then doesn't that happen in real life? On a 4wd dyno plot, you can see the dips in power where the rears are engaged. That'll show you properly how your power is being delivered, which is more interesting than your max-bhp rating.

Its not that at all.
1 jabbas rr is 2wd not 4 wd.

2. The 4 wd rrs do give some "weird" results compared to a similar car as a 2wd version. |For example, AMDs old rollers used to show over 100hp transmission loss for 4wd r32s, so they came out at 130 odd at the wheels!

Now when the clutch was dipped the power showed FW power still, but it can confuse the issue, especially when rolling on and off the throttle when setting a car up as drive is transfered to and from the rear wheels.
I remeber seeing amd rr prints with dips and crests all over them at the wheels, then with dipped clutch, nice and smooth.

As for running 4wd car with rear half shafts removed giving too high a figure, it does not, once the clutch is dipped the brake gives the same "as close to" flywheel figure as if that car were a 2wd one, or a 4wd one runnig on a 4wd rr. But the only true way to get a proper fly figure is on a bench test dyno, where you bolt the flywheel to the dyno! All the rest is a close approximation!

I hear what you're saying, but I'll disagree.

Jabbasport are very well known for having RR figures that are pure fantasy - 315bhp out of a K04??? I know several people that have been told their car has way more power than the compressor maps will allow. As for 100bhp transmission loss, so what? I have about 115bhp transmission losses at max power. The losses increase with revs on the Haldex system. You might only have about 60-80bhp losses with a remapped car, but once you increase the rpm, the losses climb steeply.

It's not an issue to run a Haldex car on a four-wheel rolling road and keeping it smooth.

dyno.gif

I've had my car rolling roaded about 5 times in the time I've owned it, and each time it was done in 4wd, it's got 4wd why would I want to run it in 2wd?

jojo said:
I've had my car rolling roaded about 5 times in the time I've owned it, and each time it was done in 4wd, it's got 4wd why would I want to run it in 2wd?

was your results what you hoped?
or were you just confused?
i'm going to call corten miller in boston they have a good 4wd rolling road a friend got 600bhp out his r32 skyline there the other week! and RR is pretty much brand new. £45 for a power run!

sitrials said:
was your results what you hoped?
or were you just confused?
i'm going to call corten miller in boston they have a good 4wd rolling road a friend got 600bhp out his r32 skyline there the other week! and RR is pretty much brand new. £45 for a power run!

Apart from the run I had at Awesome, which gave me the power @wheels, they couldn't convert to flywheel figures on the day, I forgot why? I have seen between 260-265BHP which is right for my car at AmD(when they we're still about) and similar figures at PowerEngineering running Tescos 99RON.

jojo said:
Apart from the run I had at Awesome, which gave me the power @wheels, they couldn't convert to flywheel figures on the day, I forgot why? I have seen between 260-265BHP which is right for my car at AmD(when they we're still about) and similar figures at PowerEngineering running Tescos 99RON.
:think:DOES YOUR FLUX CAPICITOR AFFECT YOUR DYNO RUNS?? :jester:

sitrials said:
:think:DOES YOUR FLUX CAPICITOR AFFECT YOUR DYNO RUNS?? :jester:

Yes, when it hits 88mph, the flames lights up the rollers, then I disappear... then I will be parked outside, as it took me 5 minutes to charge up Mr.Fusion to come back to this time frame. :cool:

jojo said:
was your tesco's petrol silicone free?

you can use vag-com to log the torque through the gears then there's a simple calculation to convert it to BHP (Nm*0.737562), i forget exactly the block to log but it should be obvious once you have the car connected. i think it's block 120. once you have the log you can use excel to create a simple graph