Chipping do you requier a new clutch??? S3

CHRISS3

Reaction score
Hi guys im def chipping my avus silver s3 ive read on the forum that some people have changed clutch with remap is this true ? as ive just changed the clutch the day i bought the car ,,, long story,,, ive just realised i should have upgraded the clutch to mtm so stupid!

anyway what u guys think about the remap and changing clutch???

Thanks

chris

If you have got a brand new clutch you should be fine for a good while, even if it is standard. However, the increased torque from the remap puts pressure on it so it could well wear out quicker than if the car was left as standard.

LOL Hope your not meant to change it as I give mine death and I've had a remap 18 mths ago

What do you mean by the term slipping?

Ahaaa. I thought it was when you put your foot on the clutch but it somehow feels disconnected all of a sudden and goes straight down without any resistance or something like that.

Anywho, is it easy to spot clutch slipping? Would someone completely new to it think that it may be some dirty petrol or is quite easy to tell when it occurs?

emzino said:
Anywho, is it easy to spot clutch slipping? Would someone completely new to it think that it may be some dirty petrol or is quite easy to tell when it occurs?

If yours is slipping, you'll know about it soon enough. It's as if you have put the clutch in a bit whilst on the gas: revs shoot up, engine noise up, but lack of transmission. More noticeable pulling up hills.

jojo said:
Isn't it obvious to many, that the clutch only needs replacing if it's slipping or if it's broke!

Absolutely. A remap may wear your clutch out quicker but you don't need to change it until it breaks!

Besides, most people have no problems after the remap so you might be OK anyway. But you need to brace yourself in case you are one of the unlucky ones (like me! ... still bitter two years on - LOL).

emzino said:

Handbrake on hard and try to pull off, you'll soon tell. You'll either come close to stalling it (or will stall it) or the clutch will slip. That's what I was told to do when buying mine a few years ago.

When mine started to slip the following happened - on the motorway, doing around 75 in sixth, floor the accelerator to overtake something, revs jumped up from 3000 to 5000rpm with no noticeable increase in speed before revs fell back down and speed increased.
I lasted nearly 3 years / about 25,000 miles on the original clutch. Now got an uprated Sachs one.

I had my Car remapped @25k miles IIRC, and was still running the same standard OE clutch @53k miles, but I think it was starting to slip a bit... my gearbo decided to give way on the M42, so I took the opportunity to change to new clutch, or I'd still be using the original one! It all depends on your driving style and how hard you use your clutch. I rarely launch my car from standstill in 1st, usually roll to around 5mph then drive quick. :racer:

Good topic!

I had my Bora TDi 115 BHP chipped to 145 BHP, then after a year or so it started to slip, first ever noticed it in 6th gear, then 5th, 4th etc...

I think I could have been partially to blame as I did a lot of motorway driving and used to boot it in 6th often so would have put my pressure on than if it dropped it down, oh well, u learn! Plus it had done 120k!

Had my mate from VW fit a new clutch for me before I sold it, even though the slipping was intermittent I couldnt of sold it like that.

For the record, there is a think called 'clutch burn' which is rumored to make it stop slipping, take it from me, it doesnt, lol

Now I have the A3 1.8T 180 BHP im going to get it chipped, its done 64k so im hoping wont need to change it, and will certainly not be booting it from 6th again!