Why does my climate control keep tripping out to ECON?

rickquattro

Reaction score
This is driving me crazy... does it all by itself. The system has been re gassed and it still happens. In rainy weather like our current sumer in Scotland, I cant keep the windows clear.

Any offers?

I had this problem, turned out the system was losing gas due to a small leak, would take 2-3 weeks to get to a low enough pressure to automatically turn off the air con to save the compressor

Thanks Jon, when I had teh system re gassed for the first and only time, the amount put in as a top up was very very small. Do you know what happens between the switch and teh compressor?

If I press the switch to cancel ECON, it stays off for a while then trips again.

When you turn the econ off, does the compressor start? If it doesn't, the clutch could be stuck or low on gas as mentioned.

If there is a fault in the system, it will sometimes automaticaly turn the compressor off. Have you had it on VAG COM yet?

When I turn ECON off the compresor starts (all condensation on the windows clears). Is the clutch easy to service? Not been on VAG-COM yet.. its intermittant but annoying

I know there places which will service/recon the unit but you'll have to remove it. The compressors are usually made by a company other than audi and may be used in several different applications. Once you've found the manufacturer, you can find schematics online. I did this on an old pug a few years ago to repair a short inside the compressor. Don't really know much adout the Audi compressors, sorry.