ko4 hybrid question

20vtdaz

Reaction score
hi guys ive been looking into doing this conversion on my s3 for a while and wanted to know if anyone else has done it on the s3? i have a miltek full system and i know i'll need another map, but what difference will i notice between std ko4, anyone who has one or been in one feed back on this would be great, ive done a search and found little on this, thanks guys daz

Usually the K04 hybrid is designed for k03 based cars. Idea being that you utilise compressor from k04-02x mated to k03s turbine.

Haven't heard of one for the S3, unless you mean ATP's eliminator series?

K04 hybrid is available from US, Simonelmon has one fitted onto his S3, but he had problems getting it mapped properly, I think MRC did it in the end? I can say his car is ****** quick!, with very little lag on spool up. :racer:

I'd look at the GTRS turbo upgrade for a KO4 engined S3....

A hybrid K04 and an equal length manifold would be the dogs in an S3. You'd still have the spool-up time of the K04 but with a lot more top end. 310bhp should be possible, and about 330-350lbs-ft. Custom Code have been mapping these quite well.

So does anyone know the difference between a K04 and a hybrid K04?
I quite fancy 300bhp with the equal length Manifold

how many £££££'s are we talking for this hybrid all in?

Think the "Eliminator Kit" is about £1400 but then you need to think of internals which turns into ££££'s

Big thread on SCN about the Imolavirus/Jacob Buehen hybrid - a mate of mine had his stock K04 go, so he replaced it with one.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99054&highlight=hybrid

We were gutted when we heard about Simon's results.

He's had some issues with boost spiking, but still returned 273 whp at Awesome the day after it was fitted. He chucked a boost controller on to try and sort the spiking, but he's since had a JBS equal length manifold on and I understand he's removed the boost controller. Did over 300bhp with the JBS manni. It looks like the actuator on these turbos needs tweaking/setting up to get the best out of them.

Engine wise he's running standard (i.e. not mapped to the hybrid) APR Stage 2, has APR dp and cat and Miltek cat back, all the hoses etc and Forge FMIC. He also runs a 4 bar FPR and a BAMM, but not sure I'd do that.

Goes like stink, and like Chris says, spools like a stock K04 (actually better). Really nice drive.

Although, I don't think JBS have actually mapped one, i.e. Stage 3 Custom Code. They've had two that I know of, but one was on Stage 2 CC and the other was the one I'm talking about, running APR & V-Tune.

Yep, that's the the one "my mate" has on his (confusingly also called Si), it's also known as an ImolaVirus (that is/was Jacob's screen name on AudiWorld)

you can get your k04 send of to turbo technics and get it hybrided , it costs around the £500 mark , they do the seat racing teams turbos , so they know there **** , thats what im looking into myself

nick-barnes07 said:
you can get your k04 send of to turbo technics and get it hybrided , it costs around the £500 mark , they do the seat racing teams turbos , so they know there **** , thats what im looking into myself

Would be very interested in hearing more about this as £500 is achievable and im looking at a full remap.....

Please post how you get on

D

nick-barnes07 said:

What else is required after getting the turbo hybrided. a remap, FMIC, MAF? would you need to change the pistons to lower the compression ratio?
Or is it 'plug and play'?

no , it would be fine on the standard internals , think they can hadle upto 350 without being changed ,

for what i costs for a ko4 hybrid aint much cheeper than IHI from jbs so wouldnt be better to spend a little more but get better gains from a better turbo....?

An IHI setup would work out more expensive than a hybrid KO4 even if you could get the turbo's for the same price, you would need a new exhaust manifold and downpipe with the IHI plus a number of other pieces of pipework where as a hybrid KO4 is a direct replacement item.

an ihi is a hell of a lot more than a k04 hybrid , ihi conversions are around the £4000 mark , a hybrid k04 with a new map is about a £1000

nick-barnes07 said:
an ihi is a hell of a lot more than a k04 hybrid , ihi conversions are around the £4000 mark , a hybrid k04 with a new map is about a £1000

Cheaper than buying an exhaust system and a remap - money well spent if you ask me.

s3ollie said:
What else is required after getting the turbo hybrided. a remap, FMIC, MAF? would you need to change the pistons to lower the compression ratio?
Or is it 'plug and play'?

To get the most out of a hybrid, you're best off changing the manifold for JBS's equal length one. That and a remap and you'll have a car that is faster in the real world than any IHI conversion. Max power might not be as high, but torque will be way up there, and you won't beat it for spool-up time.

I'm a lover of turbos myself and the thought of putting a bigger one on my S3 makes sence.

However can you not get your S3 to 280 -290 with a stage 2 map costing a lot less then a turbo refit. If cash isn't the issue the **** it then do it.

what sort of figures could you expect with the hybrid ko4 with the standard mainifold.

how much £ is the equal lenght manifold

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=122292 , here is the many , they have fitted it to some guys leon cupra r as well , read through that , a k04 hybrid is capable of 320 someone told me , but i would of thought 310 with a equal length manifold , the standard manifold is real restrictive , would of thought you would of struggled to get over 290 with standard manifold , i am getting my k04 hybrided and a equal length manifold , so i will let you know the results when i get round to getting all of it ,

So basically for about £1650 you can get 300+ from the S3

Wheres my credit card !!

Silly question but would this totally screw the cruising mpg? I get 27-31mpg and its handy when a trip to my best mates house is 180miles each way

nick-barnes07 said:

They are if you go to Jabba with a blank cheque. stupid price.
I am doing this on my A4 for under £2k. sure takes time and a bit more effort, but I actually get what I want.

£500 to mod a KO4 is nuts! I fail to believe they will be reliable at 330-350, you are at the absolute limit of it's capabilities.

You can get VF34's for $850 from the US, even paying the tax it makes it look very tempting, log style manifolds for transverse 1.8t's are readily available, equal length tig welded s/s tubulars can be picked up for £3-400 or if you are handy make your own.

wheres the links then , if u can do ihi for £2000 , i will do it , is it a garret turbo , is it going to be reliable stuff , and not fall to pieces , a place in germany called gt power do turbo kits , that are quite cheap , they say they are race tested and that , but i dont no whether i would trust a turbo that isnt a garret

it is not a kit. It has taken me a while to get all the bits I need but project is my daily driver, had it for 2 years and it is a work in progress.

I couldn't find an IHI manifold for an inline engine. (its an A4. yes, I know I am in the wrong forum!)
IHI VF34 turbo is from Gruppe-s in California kindly shipped by a mate (gift! ex tax!) comes in at £495 shipped., manifold I am making myself, merge collector from Burns stainless (£100)
mergecollector.jpg
316 marine grade s/s tubing and bends from a UK stainless site, 3" downpipe, 304 s/slaser cut flanges for head turbo and exhaust from a mate, will total less than £300. ( i already have a buyer for another one when I have done it which will bring the cost down even further!)
Injectors barely used 2nd hand 575cc jobs for £100
Got a full turbo back Miltek for £100 on eBay including the high flow cat.
Forge Motorsport used my car to develop a FMIC for the A4 so that was fitted for free, they threw in a nice alloy recirc valve and all the silicon.
Going with either Custom Code or MRC for the remap they quote £500 but I am budgeting on £750 for bits that need to be fitted, intake pipework, possible new MAF, Filter etc.

That is less than £2k for the turbo, involves me doing some work, but then what doesn't!?

bought some porsche 4 pots for £180 (eBay)
porkers.jpg

some 2nd hand but unused Merc ML discs 345x32mm for £150
Having some caliper adapters knocked up for £50
stainless line from Proquip £80
already fitted KW v3's on full polybushed chassis (£995 for coilovers, £340 for bush kit - £300 to fit!)

That is £2095, the money I saved by not going to Jabba sport to have fully adjustable suspension and monster brakes!

I have since decided to build up a spare block to fit before the turbo. (mine has 90k on it and I just don't trust it to hold up)
Was given a dead 20v engine by Macca on here, stripped and bored out to 83mm (£150) with a knife -edged (£150) forged 92.8mm 2l crank from an ABF (£100) making it 2008cc, scat H-beam rods (£200) and wiseco pistons (£350) from the states again. ARP head, big end and Main bearing studs (£150), AJL big port head, custom steel head gasket (£100) new oil pump, new bearings, seals etc (£90), windage tray (£30), belts etc
Southbend stage 3+ Clutch, OEM flywheel (£300)
Call it £1800 all in.

Even rounding up that is less than £6k over three years for a complete package of upgrades in Engine, Turbo, Map and running gear/brakes.

Only thing I don't have is the clutch

I am aiming to have a bullet proof bottom end and turbo combination producing a comfortable 350-400bhp. One that if I decide to sell the car in future will come out of the car and be replaced by the original engine, which will still have less than 100k on it. The engine will be worth at least a grand if I want to sell it on, even more for a drop in turbo upgrade for someone.

not knocking the off the shelf stuff, just a lot cheaper and a lot more gratifying to do your homework and get a custom package.