Chris NottMonster Motorsport

Thread: S3 MISSFIRE

Reverse Gear

Status

S3 MISSFIRE

HI CAN ANYBODY HELP!!?? I SEEM TO HAVE A MISSFIRE, WHEN REVING THE CAR AS THE RPM REACHES 4,000 RPM THER SEEMS TO BE A MISSFIRE ON ONE OF THE CYLINDERS FOR APX 1,000 RPM, I HAVE HAD THE CAR PLUGED INTO VAG COMPUTER BUT IT DID NOT SHOW ANY FAULT CODES?? ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Monkey Trainer

Status
    Faulty Coil Pack?
    A3 1.8TQS: Supersport Springs and Shocks, Xenons, BMC Filter, 18" OEM TTV6's, Bailey DV, N75J and Phase 1 Custom Code.

Reverse Gear

Status

s3

Im not sure, shouldn't have that shown up on the vag computer??

Monkey Trainer

Status
    I aint no expert, but I know that with a faulty MAF, an error isn't always recorded, possibly the same with a coil pack.

I'm sure someone a lot more knowledgable than me will be along soon!
    A3 1.8TQS: Supersport Springs and Shocks, Xenons, BMC Filter, 18" OEM TTV6's, Bailey DV, N75J and Phase 1 Custom Code.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Are you 100% sure it's a missfire? If it's a coilpack problem, it should come up on vagcom, and should bethere throughout the revrange, knackered MAF would feel like a missfire, but it's more an uneven power delivery throughout the rev range.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

Neutral

Status
    The ECU will not always flag a misfire. It needs to be very serious to bring the Engine light on.

if you log engine groups 015 and 016 on VAGCOM you will see individual cylinder misfires, if you drive up the road and repeat the conditions the misfire occurs, you should be able to tell which cylinder is the problem.

Swap the coil ( but not plug) with another cylinder, repeat the test, if the fault moves you know its the coil. If the fault stays with the original cylinder repeat with the spark plug only, this should tell you if its plug. If it doesnyt move you then need to repeat with both coil and plug moved. If the misfire stays in the original cylinder when you have moved both coil and plug you need to look at MAF.

Log engine 02 and this should give mass reading. a chipped S3 should consume 190+/- 10 g/s around 5600RPM. If you are much less than this then MAF could be at fault.

Not sure MAF readings for Std S3, have a search and you chould find the values.

HTH.

Neutral

Status
    4000rpm is near peak torque which is higher cylinder pressure which is higher voltage demand which means more likely coil or plug.

5th Gear

Status
    Maybe just bad petrol? Something redex might fix...
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

3rd Gear

Status
    Missfire's are normally from dead coils or sparkplugs but both would show on the vagcom. Try cleaning the maf and throttle body and reset the ecu, see if that helps.
    2001 Audi S3 - Facelift - Revo remap - Forge 007p DV - BMC Panel Filter- Type R Ariel - Aero wipers - n75j valve.

5th Gear

Status
    Caerdydd, Cardiff, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    I have had a intermittant misfire for months,no codes showing ,i changed coilpacks,plugs no joy,it got worse and vagcom showed a intermittant lamda fault,changed it yesterday and the car is now fine again?It was misfiring in midrange ,normal slow speeds all ok ,as soon as it hit 3500-4000 it was popping and backfiring?I shall see if it stays ok and keep you posted.Cheers Andy
    06 A4 AVANT QUATTRO 2.0T S-LINE SE,GARNET RED, RS4 REAR ARB,SPACERS ALLROUND,H & R SPRINGS,B5 PERCHES,A6 V8 RIMS.PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO S SIX POTS .REVO ST2 MAP ,MILLTEK CATBACK EXHAUST,PANEL FILTER,034 INTAKE PIPE.

6th Gear

Status
    Whip out the spark plugs, agree again on it being near peak torque, could be a plug melt through oinking or detonation if you run higher boost and had some bad fuel in it.

If there is a plug melted, find out what did it!!

5th Gear

Status
    Caerdydd, Cardiff, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    It started misfiring again checked plug gaps ,they were too big,regapped them and misfire is gone.Result
    06 A4 AVANT QUATTRO 2.0T S-LINE SE,GARNET RED, RS4 REAR ARB,SPACERS ALLROUND,H & R SPRINGS,B5 PERCHES,A6 V8 RIMS.PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO S SIX POTS .REVO ST2 MAP ,MILLTEK CATBACK EXHAUST,PANEL FILTER,034 INTAKE PIPE.