Turbo abuse?

nickaudi41

Reaction score
:jester:I have spoke to a few people about turbos screwing up and taking the engine with it. My car is remapped and I'm interested to see how many have actually had turbo problems.

:meeting:

Only 2 things go wrong with turbo's, failed bearings or failed shaft/turbines. They are not mutually exclusive, what normally happens is the bearings go the shaft seizes and then the shaft snaps.

which friggin microsft manual have you been reading 'mutually exclusive' lol

:jester: I have heard that when your turbo goes it can suck all the oil out of the engine. Is this true or complete rubbish?

Also how can you test to see if your turbo is ok?

when your turbo is going, it will blow a lot of blue smoke out, that blue smoke is oil, so if your turbo goes, you will know about it.

picture the scene.. in my old ko3s Ibiza

driving up motorway, starting to hear a whirring noise, look in my rear view mirror, i had created a smoke screen James Bond would be proud off, so dipped clutch, rolled off onto hard shoulder, got car onto trailer and ko3 turbo refitted :) no damage to engine, a little oil used, maybe 1/2 litre needed added to topup to max level.

Its more likely that most of your engine oil will end up down the exhaust along with loads of pieces of metal that used to make up the turbine!