Can you tell if your S3 has been chipped ?

Reaction score
Hey guys ?

this is not as stupid a question as it may sound :)

Bought my S3 about 10 months ago and changed the MAF yesterday with awsome results. When I bought the car the guy said the car had been chipped by 'big boys toys' in London but didn't have a proof of this.

Is there any way I can tell if the car has actually been chipped without having to fiddle with the ECU ?

cheers,

G.

get it on a dyno mate to see what bhp its pushing. thats the best way i think and u'll get your exact hp figure and a print out.

Call Big Boys Toys (Should be a revo if it's from them), tell them the reg plate and they should be able to search by invoice...I had a load of invoices from them when I bought my car :)

Not very scientific, but if you can hear the turbo "roaring" rather than whining then it could be chipped. When mine was standard, I could hardly hear the turbo.

contacted big boys toys they said I had to take the car to them to get data logged. bit impractical as they are 500 miles away now !

surely there is an easier way than paying for a rolling road ?

Revo SPS device if it's been Revo'd....ask the old owner perhaps which map was put in?

Jasdent said:
surely there is an easier way than paying for a rolling road ?

if you have vag-com you could log the maf g/m2 with a full acceleration run, then do some crude maths on the result?

otherwise a rolling road test will be cheapest...

Put it in reverse - If you can do more than 40mph it means it has been chipped:icon_thumright:

Hi, can you tell me why you had to change the MAF??? i had my S3 re mapped at big boys toys a few weeks ago, however when accelerating hard it seems to have a missfire or a flat flat spot?? i have heard this coud be the MAF??,

gurry said:
Hi, can you tell me why you had to change the MAF??? i had my S3 re mapped at big boys toys a few weeks ago, however when accelerating hard it seems to have a missfire or a flat flat spot?? i have heard this coud be the MAF??,

Does this only happen in first gear? If so, it's probably the traction control kicking in. I find the dashboard light does not always flicker when it happens in first gear.