Badger5Monster Motorsport
    A4Steve

CLIFFORD Car alarm (Turbo Timer thing)

Hi, i'm thinking of fitting a Clifford Concept 600 car alarm (its about Ł4-500).

But here's the good bit. Its got loads of cool functions and such.

Turbo timer - you basically can set it up so the car is alarmed but with the engine still running so you can get the turbo to cool down after a hard drive. You can set it to however many minutes you want i think.

Also there's a button you press which will start you car. So it can be a cold winters morning, and you need to go to work - so you start your car from inside the house and it heats up\de ices already for you - how smart is that? Also good for playing a few jokes i reckon!
    Just need to remember to keep it parked in Nutral!!

Anyone fitted a similar system? Any problems with it?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

Re: CLIFFORD Car alarm (Turbo Timer thing)

To be honest i have never really found it necessary unless I have piled into a motorway service station from a 110mph+ cruise.

In normal driving with an unmodified car, the turbo is small enough to spin down to stop within seconds of coming to rest.

You can buy a dedicated turbo timer though fairly inexpensively.

Neutral

Status

I don't think it's the timer for the turbo to stop spinning that is the issue - it's if you stop the engine after the turbo has had a good workout and the oil stops getting pumped round and the turbo cooks away reducing life.

I have the clifford remote start and I very rarely use it - it's only to show off. The clifford can be tuned a lot, it just takes a while to get everything working properly. I also have another 2 alarms in the car! I'm not looking forward to the day when it starts playing up.

Status

Not sure about the aetiology of turbo damage, but I thought that it related to lack of oil pressure in the turbine bearings once the engine was stopped and not that the turbo gets hotter after a run. Given that they are designed to (and do at times) glow red hot, it is doubtful that so much heat is created in a stationary unit to cause damage. This issue has been raised before and the conclusion was that if this was a serious issue, Audi would have fitted a timer or aux oil pump to avoid extra warranty work.

Anyone know for sure??