WOW!

mrj0ey

Reaction score
Hi All.

Had my s3 for about 1 month now, i was happy with the speed and acceleration but it didn't have quite the pace i was expecting.

Cleaned the maf the other day....had no effect. Cleaned the throttle body and reset ecu yesterday and OH my god it shifts now. It feels like a different car, even the slightly eratic idle has gone.

If anyone has bought an s3 recently and has not done this 10 minute procedure i highly recommend doing it.

Really need to upgrade the suspension now though.

Thanks for the posts on here that helped me to carry out the simple cleaning job.:icon_thumright:

mrj0ey said:
Hi All.

Had my s3 for about 1 month now, i was happy with the speed and acceleration but it didn't have quite the pace i was expecting.

Cleaned the maf the other day....had no effect. Cleaned the throttle body and reset ecu yesterday and OH my god it shifts now. It feels like a different car, even the slightly eratic idle has gone.

If anyone has bought an s3 recently and has not done this 10 minute procedure i highly recommend doing it.

Really need to upgrade the suspension now though.

Thanks for the posts on here that helped me to carry out the simple cleaning job.:icon_thumright:

What did you clean it with and how did you reset the ECU? was it an easy task?

Hey

I used some autoglym engine cleaner, however carb cleaner is probably stronger. I scrubbed at it with a scouring pad from the kitchen. Some grime came off easier than others....but it poloshed up a treat.

To reset the ecu search for some more detailed posts on here. Basically though you disconnect the battery (positive terminal) leave it for 15 mins (clean throttle body) reconnect the battery. Put key in ignition and turn till all electric check lights come on. Wait for ticking/buzzing nosie from throttle body to clear (about 30 seconds) then turn ignition. Idle will be dodgy for a few seconds. leave on idle for a while then go and check out the difference. Think you have to drive for 10 mins or so, the ecu learns how you drive and adjusts things to maximise efficiency and performance i guess!?!?!

Yeah could you tell me how to clean the MAF and throtle body etc. I fancy havin a tinker with mine.

Any other routine things anyone can recommend

Oh and whats the MAF:think:

maf is easy, just remove it and spray some electronic contact cleaner in there. It didn't have any real effect on my car as it was clean anyway, however you may see better results... you gotta clean the throttle body though. Loads of searches on the forum. Really is easy to do, cant believe the difference.

My throttle body was quite dirty though, nearly 100k, yours maybe ok so not as much performance will result from a clean.

Where is the throttle body and the maf? For us not so technically minded people! :sorry:

Would mine have MAF as its not a turbo

Also before anyone says it I have done a search for cleaning MAF and throtle body but all the links go to dead pics.

Any help would be great

I found something, but off an old A4 so not sure if it will be the same set up or parts as mine!

Those are the threads i used. Really is quite simple, have a look at your engine and you will see where everything is. Rotate the s4 picture 90 degrees and that is similar to the s3 engine.

What else can be used if not carb cleaner??
I know Isopropyl alcohol can be used on the MAF.

Jason

Hey

Anything really, it has to be quite strong to shift the grime. I used autoglym engine cleaner and a scouring pad!

Just done this after reading this post after putting it off for ages thinking it would be hard but was pretty easy thanks to the guides

Mine didn't have to much dirt although my cars done 76k but its now nice and clean!:)

Cleaned it with degreaser,kitchen towel and cotton buds

Just done this after reading this post after putting it off for ages thinking it would be hard but was pretty easy thanks to the guides

Mine didn't have to much dirt although my cars done 76k but its now nice and clean!:)

Cleaned it with degreaser,kitchen towel and cotton buds

Any difference in the cars performance at all?

can i do this to my 2001 1.8t. im not that good with cars but im sure i could do this after looking at the pics. is there anything i should look out for. any help would be great.
cheers matthew

Chris-A3 1.8T Quat said:
Any difference in the cars performance at all?

I've only drove a few miles to and from work but the throttle response is a bit better and i seem to have better MPG on the computer then i normally have

wackojacko said:
can i do this to my 2001 1.8t. im not that good with cars but im sure i could do this after looking at the pics. is there anything i should look out for. any help would be great.
cheers matthew

Yeah you can do it on yours and its really easy thanks to the pics.just make sure you remember to connect the wires when you put it back on and you should have no problems

Just done mine it's an easy job. Will let you know how it performs.

do u need to disconnect battery before i start as i might av a go tonight

Disconnect it before you start to save a bit of time. The hardest bit I found was removing the electrical connector. Should take you about half an hour to do. I would like to post some before and after pictures but I'm not to sure how to.

another daft one.
do you need the radio code. as at the min i dont have it so will i need it before i do the clean?
also will engine degreaser be ok to clean the maf and the throttle thingy?
cheers

You'll need the radio code if you disconnect the battery. I used carb cleaner very quick and easy.

wackojacko said:
another daft one.
do you need the radio code. as at the min i dont have it so will i need it before i do the clean?
also will engine degreaser be ok to clean the maf and the throttle thingy?
cheers
You wont need the code if its canbus, the radio is coded to the car. Also i would very carefull what you clean the MAF with, its best to use something with 99% alcahol like isopropanol. Ive nacked a few in the past by using stuff like meths that leaves residue.

I took my intake manifold off and it was spotless.

the MAF looked a bit dirty though so i took it out and gave it a quick spray with engine degreaser and carefully wiped it off with a cloth and the car seems the same.

It may be ever so slightly smoother but that could just be from resetting the ecu.

God u wiped ur maf!!!!?????

Not a good idea those wires are very sensitive

petewon said:
You wont need the code if its canbus, the radio is coded to the car. Also i would very carefull what you clean the MAF with, its best to use something with 99% alcahol like isopropanol. Ive nacked a few in the past by using stuff like meths that leaves residue.
how do i know if my radio is canbus?

which part ov the maf do i spray with the carb cleaner as i dont want to spray the wrong bit. a pic with an arrow would be excellent cheers

yeah, a cavity with two metal pin type of things inside. spray away in there!

Just cleaned my throttle body and cleaned the MAF with isopropyl. Just drove the 10 miles back from my bros house and and am getting 33mpg now instead of the usual 27mpg!!! Got to admit the low end response feels loads sharper...Will give it another spin in a bit. Throttle was well mucky and MAF was a little dusty, just gave it a thorough soaking with the spray and then left it 1/2 hour. Would be careful when cleaning throttle body though as there are some electrical connectors on it that I did my best not to get damp. Seems loads better now though:icon_thumright:

Im going to do this at some point as the cars touching on 50K and i cant imagine it has ever been done.

Going to do a few tests before and after to see if it does anything as im a bit dubious. Might do a 0-60 and some sort of mpg comparision so we'll see if it makes a difference to mine.

Good posts guys very helpful really glad I joined this site, thank you for your feed back.