Best place for an S3 remap?

steeve

Reaction score
Guy at work wants to get a remap on his 225 bhp S3, where is the best place to go? Is it Revo, AMD, Supechips or is there some one else, appeciate any info.

Hi
WE do APR on that car
There is also a FREE 6 hour trial that we can do for your mate too , so he can see exactly what he will get after the remap
Here is a link to the web site http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/audi%20a38l1/remaps.html
We are offering a FREE rolling road printout after the remap too so you can see that you are getting what you pay for
Sarah

:jester: I have driven a custom code, AMD and Revo remap. I have a 210 BHP S3 and use SP2 Revo unit. I think it's fantastic. You can turn it on or off anytime you like within about 5 seconds. You can tune it to the octane of fuel you use.

It's quite an aggressive remap so it depends what you want.

I like the power increase from 210 to about 280. Nice

If you want lots of power then go for Revo!

nickelvery did you use Revo dealer in Sonning? 280bhp is a massive leap of power!

:jester: I must admit as the car was only bought about 2 months ago I would have to find out for you.

I'm going to have it put on a rollling road at some point to find out for myself.

I got mine done at the Revo dealer in Sonning, nice guys and were very quick to sort out my coil pack after it died just after the remap

Here is a post that helped me a while ago..

It's been a while since I posted this, so I'm sure everyone has missed it's presence.

Just to save you a bit of time ploughing through the search engines I've put my choice of top/recognised tuners for Audi's (VAG), and although originally was aimed at chip tuning encompasses general tuning as well, and does have a focus on the UK market;

Most recognised within the UK:
APR - www.goapr.co.uk/dealer/index.html - Good maps and well respected, especially in the US. Just released OBD* tuning. Switchable options using cruise control.
REVO- www.revotechnik.com/uk/ukrevo.html - Good maps, one of the first tuners to offer OBD* tuning in UK. Switchable options using switch (Dongle).
AmD - www.auto-amd.com - More than just a chip tuner, they are a complete tuner unlike many others. Respect. New one-click system offers another option on tuning, by use of the OBD port.
Jabbasport - www.jabbasport.com/Audi/Jabbachips/Contact/contact.html - For those that want to take their tuning that little bit further. Well respected.
Star Peformance - www.starperformance.co.uk - Top mark tuning house, well rated by those North of the Border.
Forge Motorsport - www.forgemotorsport.co.uk - No chip tuning of their own but they do offer a number of great tuning products for VAG cars.
* - OBD = On Board Diagnostic. Tuning which is done via the diagnostic serial port located on the vehicle, so no chip replacement is required.

European VAG tuners:
Oettinger - www.oettinger.de or www.roadandsport.co.uk (UK dealer) - One of the longest running tuners for Audi's. A great tuner with a great range of products.
ABT- www.abtsportsline.co.uk/location.php3 - Again a long running tuner with good products. Official Audi chip tuning for The Netherlands, Germany and Belgium amongst other countries.
MTM- www.mtm-online.de or www.qstuning.com (UK dealer) - Well known for good maps with solid performance.
Projectzwo- www.projektzwo.de or www.roadandsport.co.uk (UK dealer) - Again a long runing tuner that's well respected.
SKN- www.skn-tuning.com or contact SKN (UK) Ltd. on www.scottsmototune.co.uk - Not so well known but good products nonetheless.
Upsolute - www.upsolute.com - Austrian tuner, well known worldwide.

Other recognised tuners for chips mainly;
Superchips - www.superchips.co.uk - Regarded as a general tuner offering nothing special, but map on 1.8T does produce good results!
Wetterauer - www.wetterauer.de - Not so well known german tuner, but still heard of. Used in both the US and Europe.
DBM - www.dbmengineering.nl - Similar to Jabbasport but in Holland. Nice product range with carbon air boxes. Produced a 420bhp S3 for the road!!
Bullpower - www.bullpower.nl - Very little known about this tuner, but show good figures.
Sportec- www.sportec.ch (Even though covered by AmD) - Relatively new to the UK scene. Good torque figures produced with the maps and satisfied customers.
Powerchips- www.powerchipgroup.com - Hardly ever mentioned on the forums, like Superchips, but look to provide good results. The website is extremely good, and the detailed datasheets provided within minutes of an enquiry are full of info. Available through www.mongooseexhausts.com or www.motorsportworld.co.uk

All have their merits, and really it's a personal choice, and you have to check around before choosing in my opinion. There are many other smaller tuners who offer chips etc. but are not widely recognised, but can offer options cheaper than above, so additonal research will pay off.
Do not think for one moment that the above is comprehensive, it is only my opinion and based on my knowledge of tuning, the products offered and comments I have picked up on my travels and is intended to be unbiased, but I do have a weak spot for Oettinger these days.

best advice is to choose a reputable tuner that is local to you. You may be visiting them a few times. Its not just about remapping and taking your money.

as for 280BHP from a revo? what other mods took it to 280BHP?

madvw said:
best advice is to choose a reputable tuner that is local to you. You may be visiting them a few times. Its not just about remapping and taking your money.

as for 280BHP from a revo? what other mods took it to 280BHP?

I am listening too! Tell..

AwesomeSarah said:
Hi
WE do APR on that car
There is also a FREE 6 hour trial that we can do for your mate too , so he can see exactly what he will get after the remap
Here is a link to the web site http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/audi%20a38l1/remaps.html
We are offering a FREE rolling road printout after the remap too so you can see that you are getting what you pay for
Sarah

Hi Sarah, how does the trial work? Is it an upload and then revert

noodle said:
Here is a post that helped me a while ago..

It's been a while since I posted this, so I'm sure everyone has missed it's presence.

Just to save you a bit of time ploughing through the search engines I've put my choice of top/recognised tuners for Audi's (VAG), and although originally was aimed at chip tuning encompasses general tuning as well, and does have a focus on the UK market;

Most recognised within the UK:
APR - www.goapr.co.uk/dealer/index.html - Good maps and well respected, especially in the US. Just released OBD* tuning. Switchable options using cruise control.
REVO- www.revotechnik.com/uk/ukrevo.html - Good maps, one of the first tuners to offer OBD* tuning in UK. Switchable options using switch (Dongle).
AmD - www.auto-amd.com - More than just a chip tuner, they are a complete tuner unlike many others. Respect. New one-click system offers another option on tuning, by use of the OBD port.
Jabbasport - www.jabbasport.com/Audi/Jabbachips/Contact/contact.html - For those that want to take their tuning that little bit further. Well respected.
Star Peformance - www.starperformance.co.uk - Top mark tuning house, well rated by those North of the Border.
Forge Motorsport - www.forgemotorsport.co.uk - No chip tuning of their own but they do offer a number of great tuning products for VAG cars.
* - OBD = On Board Diagnostic. Tuning which is done via the diagnostic serial port located on the vehicle, so no chip replacement is required.

European VAG tuners:
Oettinger - www.oettinger.de or www.roadandsport.co.uk (UK dealer) - One of the longest running tuners for Audi's. A great tuner with a great range of products.
ABT- www.abtsportsline.co.uk/location.php3 - Again a long running tuner with good products. Official Audi chip tuning for The Netherlands, Germany and Belgium amongst other countries.
MTM- www.mtm-online.de or www.qstuning.com (UK dealer) - Well known for good maps with solid performance.
Projectzwo- www.projektzwo.de or www.roadandsport.co.uk (UK dealer) - Again a long runing tuner that's well respected.
SKN- www.skn-tuning.com or contact SKN (UK) Ltd. on www.scottsmototune.co.uk - Not so well known but good products nonetheless.
Upsolute - www.upsolute.com - Austrian tuner, well known worldwide.

Other recognised tuners for chips mainly;
Superchips - www.superchips.co.uk - Regarded as a general tuner offering nothing special, but map on 1.8T does produce good results!
Wetterauer - www.wetterauer.de - Not so well known german tuner, but still heard of. Used in both the US and Europe.
DBM - www.dbmengineering.nl - Similar to Jabbasport but in Holland. Nice product range with carbon air boxes. Produced a 420bhp S3 for the road!!
Bullpower - www.bullpower.nl - Very little known about this tuner, but show good figures.
Sportec- www.sportec.ch (Even though covered by AmD) - Relatively new to the UK scene. Good torque figures produced with the maps and satisfied customers.
Powerchips- www.powerchipgroup.com - Hardly ever mentioned on the forums, like Superchips, but look to provide good results. The website is extremely good, and the detailed datasheets provided within minutes of an enquiry are full of info. Available through www.mongooseexhausts.com or www.motorsportworld.co.uk

All have their merits, and really it's a personal choice, and you have to check around before choosing in my opinion. There are many other smaller tuners who offer chips etc. but are not widely recognised, but can offer options cheaper than above, so additonal research will pay off.
Do not think for one moment that the above is comprehensive, it is only my opinion and based on my knowledge of tuning, the products offered and comments I have picked up on my travels and is intended to be unbiased, but I do have a weak spot for Oettinger these days.

where is mrc , i would say mrc in oxford .:eiertritt:

Spacecowboy said:
Hi Sarah, how does the trial work? Is it an upload and then revert
Hi
It is done the same as a remap is done
Diagnostic check done before , trial is downloaded and diagnostic check done straight afterwards
It will last for approx 6 hours of driving time too
After that it will just transfer back on to the standard map that you are running now
It is easy and it is FREE ;) that is the best bit :D
Sarah

IMHO, wherever you get it done, go for somewhere with a rolling road.

I found (with the Revo trial) ythat you can get used to the remap quite quickly and the car starts to feel normal again, you only realise how much it's giving you when the trial reverts to stock settings and you start wondering if the handbrake's stuck on....

A RR printout's a nice way to see what gain you've actually had, rather than just wondering.

Also I personally think a RR session is better for checking out how the engine is running with the map than just driving the car up and down a few roads to get a feeling for it. (I assume it's easier to spot hose problems etc. with it on a RR)

AwesomeSarah said:
Hi
It is done the same as a remap is done
Diagnostic check done before , trial is downloaded and diagnostic check done straight afterwards
It will last for approx 6 hours of driving time too
After that it will just transfer back on to the standard map that you are running now
It is easy and it is FREE ;) that is the best bit :D
Sarah

Hmm sweet that sounds awesome (no pun intended). Where are you guys based? If I got the remap after the trial, will it be rolling roaded to show before's and after's etc?

Spacecowboy said:
Hmm sweet that sounds awesome (no pun intended). Where are you guys based? If I got the remap after the trial, will it be rolling roaded to show before's and after's etc?

Hi
We had an offer a while ago , but not now I am afraid
We can arrange it , but with this being a generic map you will find that it does what it says on the tin

The remaps are also self learning , so they get better the more you drive it

We have done quite a few RR`s on the 225bhp cars
http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/rollingroad.html

Have a look on there , you will find quite a bit of information on there with the rolling road days we have done

If you get time to be bored have a look

Custom maps are ok if there are quite a few mods and go into big turbo`s etc.
For a turbo back system and CAI with possible FMIC there is stage 2 APR that will bring in to account the extra mods

With APR there is the option of switchability , and APR are the only company that can offer switchability with an OEM part , Cruise Control
As the guys at APR are the Bosch technicians who make and design the ECU`s
Sarah

The only sure thing about this is that there are no definitive answers to this question. I have custom code and love it. Got mine done at midland VW in Cannock so not too far from you, or JBS a bit further north are the headquarters for custom code and have a RR I think.

nickelvery said:
:jester: I have driven a custom code, AMD and Revo remap. I have a 210 BHP S3 and use SP2 Revo unit. I think it's fantastic. You can turn it on or off anytime you like within about 5 seconds. You can tune it to the octane of fuel you use.

It's quite an aggressive remap so it depends what you want.

So how did the custom code compare to AMD and Revo? Just curious as I have CC and haven't driven a car with a different remap.

Cheers,

B.

I don''t think you can compare a custom code to an off the shelf remap as a custom mode is... eer... custom.... no 2 are the same. It could be the same as a Revo or other off the shelf map... it could also be vastly different.

I had mine done at Awesome GTI and I was well impressed! You can definitely notice the difference and the service is great too! :respekt:

AwesomeSarah said:
Hi
Custom Code is a generic map too
APR is generic and Revo
Cusom codes are required if you go to big turbo`s or something like that
Sarah

A custom map can't be generic, that's a contradiction of terms. It could have the same settings as a generic code but that would have to be by coincidence.

Surely ?

(unless there's a map out there called "Custom Code" (i.e. a brand name rather than the concept itself))

Everyone always goes on about no 2 engines being exactly the same, so surely a custom code *should* (assuming the mapper is skilled and experienced) provide a better result as it's bespoke to that engines specific character.

Blunteh said:
A custom map can't be generic, that's a contradiction of terms. It could have the same settings as a generic code but that would have to be by coincidence.

Surely ?

(unless there's a map out there called "Custom Code" (i.e. a brand name rather than the concept itself))

Hi no that is the mane of the company , they do different stages same as the other remaps , but can do custom ones too

Sarah

Spacecowboy said:
I'm in Worcester. What map do you use? How much etc?

Might be worth you checking out ChippedUK in Bromsgrove. Very knowledgable, quite a well kept secret. If you talk to anyone in the VW scene, the founder Jason is very well respected.

Sorted out my S3, never had a problem. Lots more power and more MPG into the bargain.

:hubbahubba:

He is also big in the bmw scene.
He did my A4 and it was fantastic.:icon_thumright:

nickelvery said:

I suspect its a LOT closer to 260/265Bhp.

The thing about Revo maps is they are really agressive on torque so it gives the perception of an awful lot more power (Not that anyone would notice 20Bhp in the real world on a 250+ machine).

Revo are the kings of generic maps, and they are exactly that, generic. Designed on average settings for the average car.

The better maps are customised for the modifcations of the car, and are more progressive and as such give you a smoother curve across the power range.

For road driving and "wow" factor Revo is the popular choice, for actual driving, like a track, or proper fast road, then I'd be looking to Custom Code, MTM, APR etc for a customised map.

mrc have said they will get 280 out of a map that i am having done tommorow , it is a live map where they take it on the road to map it , £500 ,

I have the APR Map on mine.. well chuffed

AwesomeSarah said:
Hi
Custom Code is a generic map too
APR is generic and Revo
Cusom codes are required if you go to big turbo`s or something like that
Sarah

no you dont have to get a big turbo to have a live map.mine was live mapped on the standard turbo with there stage 2.there stage 1 is generic

i had an mrc map put on my s3 today , and wow , the map is great , a lot better than the revo trial , my mate also had a forge map on his and got mrc to put a different one on his , definately recomend them if any one is looking for a decent map ,