EM TuningChris Nott

Thread: Flywheel probs

1st Gear

Status

Flywheel probs

Hi everyone, I hope you can help me shed some light on this.

Last june I had my clutch and flywheel changed for Mk2 G60 bits. VW sourced flywheel and a Sachs clutch. I was unaware at the time that you also need to use the bolts for the G60 flywheel. It was changed without these bolts and made a chattering, metal on metal sound on start up. This only happened when cold and after it warmed, it behaved exactly as normal.

I paid to have the 'box out again and the G60 bolts fitted, and the problem disappeared.

Fast forward 10 months, and the noise has returned. It is almost exactly the same as previous, as I remember it well. It's at a garage at the moment, but they cannot replicate the problem. It needs to be stone cold to hear the noise, and is clearly audible from inside the cabin as coming from low behind the glovebox.

I'm told as they cannot hear the fault, they won't do any work on it for no apparent reason, so I'm stuck without a car until the noise is heard.

After having seen the damage caused by a flywheel exiting stage left, I am now paranoid it is a problem with this, and am scared of driving it.

Has anybody had this problem??

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    bump

anybody?

Turbo's Rule

Status
    I have just fitted a g60 flywheel n a spec clutch, the cranking note is different to b4, you seem to get a bit more of a clinky noise when the engine actually fires but i think this is just due to the flywheel being single mass. you kinda know when summin sounds bad!

bit weird if it went then came back like?