EM TuningChris Nott
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cambs
    Posts
    471

    Fuel gauge and computer not telling me the same thing!

    Hi all,

    Recently got my A3.

    When I picked the car up, it showed 3/4 tank of fuel, so I drove home and it didnt really drop a hell of a lot, yet the computer was telling me I had 100 miles left.

    Today I was driving and it was reading 1/2 a tank and the fuel light came on, showing 50 miles left on the range.

    I filled the car and it took about 30 litries, they arrentaly hold 62 so im guessing the gauge is acurate...but the computer isnt

    Is this anything to worry about? or are there a secret sessions of buttons I can press to sort it out?!

    Thanks in advance for any info

    Cheers

    Dave

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    S3 NIK's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    190
    I wouldn't worry about it as long as you determine which one you can rely on.
    Out of interest anybody, do S3's have the range read out as i have never noticed it on mine.
    Nik.



    Quote Originally Posted by Cossie_boy
    Hi all,

    Recently got my A3.

    When I picked the car up, it showed 3/4 tank of fuel, so I drove home and it didnt really drop a hell of a lot, yet the computer was telling me I had 100 miles left.

    Today I was driving and it was reading 1/2 a tank and the fuel light came on, showing 50 miles left on the range.

    I filled the car and it took about 30 litries, they arrentaly hold 62 so im guessing the gauge is acurate...but the computer isnt

    Is this anything to worry about? or are there a secret sessions of buttons I can press to sort it out?!

    Thanks in advance for any info

    Cheers

    Dave

  4. #3
    Sandip's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    2,379
    i had i very similar fault on my S3, my fuel needle used to move even if was full, turned out it was the fuel sender or something, just needs cleaning. it was done on warrenty so i'm not a 100% exactly what it was

  5. #4
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cambs
    Posts
    471
    Yeah it seems more the gauge and sender is ok, but the comp is wrong

  6. #5
    davidhodgkinson's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    lancashire
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 NIK
    I wouldn't worry about it as long as you determine which one you can rely on.
    Out of interest anybody, do S3's have the range read out as i have never noticed it on mine.
    Nik.
    Yes, press the toggle switch on the end of the wiper stalk to change between all the different readouts. One of them is estimated miles left in the tank
    Was A3 1.8Ts
    Now S3

  7. #6
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    297
    The estimate works by analysing how you are driving. If you are giving it more right foot, it will of course read less and if you are driving round the turbo, then more. I think its pretty genrous at the best of times - even driving round the turbo. 5 miles seem to = 2 miles in reality at the very best.

  8. #7
    S3 NIK's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    190
    Found it on the way into work this morning.
    For some reason having only ever glanced at this read out i thought i was a trip meter ut now i know better.
    Nik.

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhodgkinson
    Yes, press the toggle switch on the end of the wiper stalk to change between all the different readouts. One of them is estimated miles left in the tank

  9. #8
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cambs
    Posts
    471
    So bascially, my gauge/sender is ok so thats good, but the comp estimates how much fuel is left based on how you drive? and not what it can read from the tank or sender?

    Cheers

    Dave

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO