Fuel gauge and computer not telling me the same thing!

Cossie_boy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently got my A3.

When I picked the car up, it showed 3/4 tank of fuel, so I drove home and it didnt really drop a hell of a lot, yet the computer was telling me I had 100 miles left.

Today I was driving and it was reading 1/2 a tank and the fuel light came on, showing 50 miles left on the range.

I filled the car and it took about 30 litries, they arrentaly hold 62 so im guessing the gauge is acurate...but the computer isnt :sadlike:

Is this anything to worry about? or are there a secret sessions of buttons I can press to sort it out?!

Thanks in advance for any info

Cheers

Dave

I wouldn't worry about it as long as you determine which one you can rely on.
Out of interest anybody, do S3's have the range read out as i have never noticed it on mine.
Nik.

Cossie_boy said:
Hi all,

Recently got my A3.

When I picked the car up, it showed 3/4 tank of fuel, so I drove home and it didnt really drop a hell of a lot, yet the computer was telling me I had 100 miles left.

Today I was driving and it was reading 1/2 a tank and the fuel light came on, showing 50 miles left on the range.

I filled the car and it took about 30 litries, they arrentaly hold 62 so im guessing the gauge is acurate...but the computer isnt :sadlike:

Is this anything to worry about? or are there a secret sessions of buttons I can press to sort it out?!

Thanks in advance for any info

Cheers

Dave

i had i very similar fault on my S3, my fuel needle used to move even if was full, turned out it was the fuel sender or something, just needs cleaning. it was done on warrenty so i'm not a 100% exactly what it was:unsure:

Yeah it seems more the gauge and sender is ok, but the comp is wrong

S3 NIK said:
I wouldn't worry about it as long as you determine which one you can rely on.
Out of interest anybody, do S3's have the range read out as i have never noticed it on mine.
Nik.

Yes, press the toggle switch on the end of the wiper stalk to change between all the different readouts. One of them is estimated miles left in the tank

The estimate works by analysing how you are driving. If you are giving it more right foot, it will of course read less and if you are driving round the turbo, then more. I think its pretty genrous at the best of times - even driving round the turbo. 5 miles seem to = 2 miles in reality at the very best.

Found it on the way into work this morning.
For some reason having only ever glanced at this read out i thought i was a trip meter ut now i know better.
Nik.

davidhodgkinson said:
Yes, press the toggle switch on the end of the wiper stalk to change between all the different readouts. One of them is estimated miles left in the tank

So bascially, my gauge/sender is ok so thats good, but the comp estimates how much fuel is left based on how you drive? and not what it can read from the tank or sender?

Cheers

Dave