DIY alloy wheel refurb help

campbell

Reaction score
has anyway got an in depth guide as i need help on lacquering the final coat. the final coat is good and when i spray the lacquer on it seams to dull the silver spray finish and make it all bubbly?

i know there is a guide in the after care section but doesnt give me enough advice on how to lacquer, surely a paint on lacquer would be easier?

any help would be appreciated, by the way im using the aerosols from halfords called plasti-kote- clear acrylic
thanks
Lee

are you waiting the prescribed time for the paint to dry before applyig the lacquer?

its sound like the need to heat the wheel up a bit with a heat gun or hair dryer. by warming up the wheel first the paint will sit more even and not run everywhere. the dullness u talk about will polish up once completely cured however, this is due to the temperature. don't put too much on to soon, your get a better result putting a few light coats on.

To be completely honest, u have your work cut out. aerosols are a quick fix.

been waiting a few hours for the paint to cure and the finish is bright silver, then when i applied the clear lacquer the wheel turns a dull grey, but the finish is spot on. been using a hair dryer but hasnt made no difference really. iv looked in guides for refurbing alloys and when they seem to apply the lacquer the finish seems to stay the same. can anyone help further?
cheers

you gotta wait upto 48 hours for it to dry properly before laquaring it. wait atleast 24 hours but with cans at home i would wait 48 hours!

:jester: As my body repair guy tells me, choosing a good quality lacquer is very important firstly. Also as the other guys say give the wheels some heat a nice hot sunny day is very good. Just make sure you give them enough time to dry.

I do realise I have repeated some of what has already been said!

Hope this helps.

so by me applying the lacquer 6 hours later is leading to the lacquer turning the alloy a grey colour instead of the silver finish? because that is what it is doing so far which is annoying ! i have read guides and they just apply the lacquer about an hour later and the colour stays the same and the finish is good- its tough work! thanks for the help guys

How are you applying the lacquer? also how does it look once given time to dry, i've never had any probs with lacquer darkening anything at all sounds strange

I have refurbed some alloys in the past with rattle cans and on the last coat of the paint, I sprayed a mist of lacquer for it to mis with the paint and prevent chipping in the future. And leave it to dry for 12hours and applied the lacquer again. Don't overdo it.

i very lightly sprayed the alloy with the lacquer from an aersol (i made sure the can was shaken up fully etc)
once given time to dry the silver finish before applying the lacquer is more or less the right colour ( a bright silver but not shiny)
once the lacquer was applied the wheel seams to react and go like an anthracite grey colour which i dont want, but the finish is superb-pity its the wrong colour!
can the lacquer react with the primer coat? all the cans iv used are from the spray company so should work togther in theory

I think you haven't shaken the can enough and leave the base paint to fully dry. maybe 3-4 days. Shouldnt react imo...

I used Halfords cans:laugh:

I would love to know where to get the right putty from, I can only find filler which seems to work ok, but not great