Steering not as tight as it used to be.

nickaudi41

Reaction score
I have a 2001 S3 and I have noticed that the there is a slight movment in the stearing wheel when the car is on or off. What I mean to say is there is a bit of play in the stearing wheel and was wondering if anyone could help. Also could I upgrade parts to make the stearing tighter?

Could be some bushes that are knackered matey, cheap part bit of a pain to fit

Cheers buddy, I have looked at some bush upgrades. AMD in Oxford sell them for £240. Anyone got any ideas for cheaper parts?

wouldnt bother upgrading them, just get new ones - btw £240 for bushes??????? bushes cost about £2 quid normally

i have the very same problem, steering wheel play. it turns out on mine that the lower UJ on the steering column is at fault and i needed to replace the whole column as its all comes in one unit. twas about £195+ Vat from vagparts.
To check this remove the plastic cover by the clutch pedel covering the lower column and move the steering wheel while looking and feeling for play at the UJ. mine only move a tiny, tiny amount at the joint but the steering wheel was moving about 10mm on the edge. there is two UJ's in the column but the higher one looks a lot bigger/stronger and didnt have any play on my car.
Also might be worth checking the bolt that holds the column UJ to the steering rack as if its loose there will be some play there.
If you cant find any play in the column its got to be the rack or the track rod ends:icon_thumright:

:jester: Cheers guys you have all been most helpful. I will have a good look and see what I can find.