Found an S3 i really like but...

muzzyboy

Reaction score
........its not got heated seats or an armrest. I really want these two extras what do u think?

The car is
2001 (Y reg) Facelift model
77,000 miles
Full Black Leather
FASH
2 owners from new
10 months MOT / 5 months Tax
Cambelt & Water Pump replaced 7,000 miles ago
4 new tyres 1000 miles ago
Stereo & 6 disc changer

He says he'd accept £9100. I'm hoping £9000. He says its immaculate, bodywork is perfect. I am unsure whether to go and look at it as its over 200 miles away. I really really want the heated seats but could i live without it?
Is there anyone who has had both heated then non or vice versa who could help me out?
How cold is the leather?
How quick does it heat up if its non heated?
Should i hold off for an S3 with heated seats?

Thanks everyone!!

Paul.

I have an armrest and to be honest, it gets in the way more than anything for me...not bad on the m'way though so if you do lots of those miles...

As you can tell by my sig I regret not getting heated seats. I don't drive wearing a jacket or anything like that (gets in the way) and the cold winter mornings aren't that nice with just a shirt on. I am used to it now though and would say my car was mint enough to over look that requirement. So, IMO, if it's a cracker, don't worry about it and if push were to come to shove, you can retro fit the arm rest. Not sure if you can the seats though.

Cheers mate. Not too fussed about the armrest but its the seats. Leather without the heat?!? Its a hard one to call, i really dont want to regret it if i buy without the heated leather.

I have heated Alcantara and Leather seats in mine, soo glad it has them. In winter they are fantastic, with the full leather I can't see it being great without. I also think the armrest is good, always have mine folded down, its perfectly comfortable.

Trouble is you will only know if its a problem once you've owned it for a bit, tough one to call.

not got heated leather in mine and i can honestly say i dont miss it. had it in my Leon and didnt use it a great deal. s'alright for those really cold mornings in winter but we dont really get them anymore and leather heats up to your body heat quite quickly anyways.

Just my opinion :)

muzzyboy said:
........its not got heated seats or an armrest. I really want these two extras what do u think?

The car is
2001 (Y reg) Facelift model
77,000 miles
Full Black Leather
FASH
2 owners from new
10 months MOT / 5 months Tax
Cambelt & Water Pump replaced 7,000 miles ago
4 new tyres 1000 miles ago
Stereo & 6 disc changer

He says he'd accept £9100. I'm hoping £9000. He says its immaculate, bodywork is perfect. I am unsure whether to go and look at it as its over 200 miles away. I really really want the heated seats but could i live without it?
Is there anyone who has had both heated then non or vice versa who could help me out?
How cold is the leather?
How quick does it heat up if its non heated?
Should i hold off for an S3 with heated seats?

Thanks everyone!!

Paul.

is this car Silver by anychance ?

Its a bit cold in the winter but it warms up after a couple of minutes so no real loss, if the car has heated seats its a bonus!

rickparmar said:
is this car Silver by anychance ?
No mate its black. On autotrader.co.uk @£9500 but i cant get the link address to post it up here.

A lot of differences in opinions. I'm still no closer to deciding tho!!

i have heated seats and i do use them a great deal and come in handy when the temperature hits the minus figures.
the english weather sees a lot of cold crap weather so its worth bearing this in mind, personally i would like heated seats in my next car

Hmm, i'm sideing with the heated seat squad i think. I dont want to go thru my S3 ownership thinking 'if only i'd got heated seats'.

What a nightmare, it looks the perfect car too.

dont just buy for the sake of it, buy a car with what you want

you never know, next week you will find the car with every option you want

Definately worth having the heated seats. I had leather in mine and you really need it in the freeze you gonads off weather. even with alcantara seats i have now its always a nice feeling having your butt warmed up abeit a damp sensation too??

if it was the right car then I wouldnt get het up about heated leather, the armrest is a menace and i dont use mine.

That said, lots out there so take your time - I did and went for one with ALL the bits

Go and look, there's no way you can 'know' the bodywork is perfect and its a good car if you havent actually seen it.

Go look, then make up your mind about the seats.

I got a 6 hour train to the bottom of Cornwall to look at a car that I ended up buying...

:iagree:

I don't have heated seats in my S3, but had a TT with heat seats and to be honest more time spent cooking the passenger on purpose! ;)

And as for the arm rest, it rocks always have it down!

Dave_Bayern said:
Go and look, there's no way you can 'know' the bodywork is perfect and its a good car if you havent actually seen it.

Go look, then make up your mind about the seats.

I got a 6 hour train to the bottom of Cornwall to look at a car that I ended up buying...

If it had heated seats then i would, without doubt, be going to look at it. I have an mechanic from Dundee Audi as a friend, coming to check things over with me so everything will more or less be left to him re condition, mechanics etc. I'm deciding on the comforts and i think i want heated leather too much to buy one without!!

Think i will leave this one and wait for another to come along. Cheers everyone, u've been a great help!!

Is this S3 in Nottingham???
If its this one dont waste your time with it.
media

Yeah it is mate. What do u have on the car that makes u say this?

I went and looked at this a few weeks ago as its very close to me.
The car itself seemed ok but was very slow and the FASH is only 1 maybe 2 stamps in the book with a phone number wrote on it for a garage who done the cambelt.No receipts at all and only 1 mot.

Forgot to say there is some marks on the drivers side rear quarter.The clutch felt weird and the steering was real heavy.
Trying to think if there is anything else.

Cheers James! Just shows what crap people can lead u to believe!!

I'll keep looking. I'm after a black facelift model with black HEATED leather around the £9000 mark if anyone knows of any that come up.

Cheers.

I cant believe that lack of a centre armrest is putting you off buying a car.
I have never been on a forum where the arm rest is regarded with such importance, especially on a performance car!!!
Do they come with a complimentry flat cap and a pipe.

Nik.

S3 NIK said:
I cant believe that lack of a centre armrest is putting you off buying a car.
I have never been on a forum where the arm rest is regarded with such importance, especially on a performance car!!!
Do they come with a complimentry flat cap and a pipe.

Nik.

I believe spending so much money on a car, i would be looking for everything that i want

and yes if i do buy an S3 i would want an Armrest inside :):)

james0808 said:
Forgot to say there is some marks on the drivers side rear quarter.The clutch felt weird and the steering was real heavy.
Trying to think if there is anything else.

Nice to see this on a forum...that's what it's all about and it looks like walking away is the best option!! Go get yourself one with heated seats and an arm rest.

I wasnt that bothered about the armrest,but since having one in my A4 i want one when i get an S3.

muzzyboy said:
I'll keep looking. I'm after a black facelift model with black HEATED leather around the £9000 mark if anyone knows of any that come up.

Cheers.
If anyone does tell me first.:moa:

If you do get an S3 with an armrest don't forget to tell everyone down the pub :)

It will impress far more than anything else the car has to offer.
However, what will really blow there minds are the opening door pockets :eyebrows:

rickparmar said:
I believe spending so much money on a car, i would be looking for everything that i want

and yes if i do buy an S3 i would want an Armrest inside :):)

I don't have heated seats and I don't regret it - I've never felt cold - even wearing shorts to go to the gym in the depths of winter. The leather on the seats soon warms up.

Armrest - mine has one - hated it at first as found it got in the way. A friend told me to perservere and I've now got used to it and I'd definitely have one again.

I think heated seats are nice with full leather, I've got alcantra so I'm not bothered (don't have it). Had heaed seats in a TT and they were nice, but like others I didn't use the feature that much.

I wanted an arm rest in my S3 (I kinda felt it was missing it having seen many others with one) but having had one in a A4 courtesy car I found it got in the way and I actually prefered driving with it out of the way....

So I'd say both nice features but not deal breakers for me....

don't heated seat make people want to go for a **** more ? or is this a myth

I have black leather and Cream alcantara (Best combo in my eyes)
they are not heated but they dont need to be if it was full leather though i would probabbly want heated

For me, as a rule, if its leather then defo heated. If, like me, you go for Alcantara then I wouldnt say it mattered a great deal as its material and shouldnt be that cold in winter. The armrest can be retrofitted easily and cheaply. As can cruise control. I was lucky and had all this at factory. Keep looking, plenty out there. Trouble is, plenty of crap too. I know, I saw most over the last year!

I've got heated in mine (with alcantara) and it unsettles me.
Having lived the first 30 years of my life without heated seats, it seems like an unnecessary addition. But perhaps they said that about remote control TVs too... :)

Dean_20 said:
Does anyone know if heated seats can be fitted?
I remember reading a how to on the interweb somewhere - it looked like a bit of a big job...

The armrest is easy on the otherhand

Dean_20 said:
Does anyone know if heated seats can be fitted?

You can buy the heating element off ebay, no doubt you should be able to but the switches so its a case of putting it all together and wiring up some power.

Be interesting to see if anyone has done a retrofit or knows how? Audi have to rebuild my seats anyway as the mechanism for tilting is phooked so might be worth asking while they are in there...