Why remap is not standard

rickparmar

Reaction score
What i mean by this is, remap can be done on most cars.

Why didnt audi for example include this in there engines, why did they limit it to 225bhp (on a s3)

yesterday i met someone with a audi s3, was telling him to remap it, he goes the engine will have strain. if it was ok audi would have just put the maximum into the engine, meaning the remap allready included

if any of this makes sense

so why did audi limit the S3 at 225, when with a simple remap it can get extra 30-40 bhp

The experts will be here soon, but i believe it comes down to reliablity and economy! No doubt they will correct my spelling too! :faint:

I know with my BM 330d it was because it would take the power to near to the more expensive 530d and so on.

Probably similar with S3 to S4.

I'm pretty sure Jampublic got it spot on, the tolerances built into modern cars are of a fairly large margin plus the maps the manufacturer sets are researched over hundreds of thousends of hours to get a mix of reliability, economy and performance.

The stock audi maps are generically designed to work well for 100% of the cars audi make, I don't think many audi buyers get the car for outright performance, they buy if for a mix of build quality, performace, economy and the fact it's a damn nice place to be sat in

Also, Audi can always bring out a faster (and probably more expensive) model as these engines are "developed" which gets them the cash back for all the money they spend developing the cars and a good "life" from that engine - look at the history of the 1.9 diesel engine as a good example of this - went from about 50-60bhp (non turbo) back in the day, right up to 130bhp (Pump Duse, stronger internals, bigger turbo & different map) and they can be taken much higher up if you've got the cash.

You also have to consider the warranty as well, audis came with 3 years IIRC, if they upped the power output of every car theres a good chance that they would have to do more work to them at their own cost during those first 3 years.

Just my 2p's worth

scib4 said:
I know with my BM 330d it was because it would take the power to near to the more expensive 530d and so on.

Probably similar with S3 to S4.

The 330d had 204bhp and the 530d 214bhp or do I have that wrong?

TheSpaceCowboy said:
The 330d had 204bhp and the 530d 214bhp or do I have that wrong?

Not sure what the 530d had, but around that with different states of tune and engine. The 330d had 184bhp till 03 when they changed it to 204bhp with a 6 speed manual.

Also worth remembering that cars have to meet various emission standards (Euro III, IV or whatever), and as part of that the standard mode will be a compromise at whatever speed/rpm that the standard is measured at to ensure that the engine passes the test.
It's like the old MPG figures being quoted at a steady xxmph - hence it was attractive to reduce fuel consumption at or around that point to ensure your car was more fuel efficient.

I agree with the point about warranty. By shipping to the mass market at 225bhp, the components are working well within their tolerances. And many, many people are completely satisfied with the standard 225 anyway.

To make a 260bhp car Audi would need to use even stronger components which would push the price above what people are prepared to pay for this class of car. At £27,000 for the original 210bhp, the S3 was ruddy expensive already!

Most people have no problems with remaps but Audi is safe in the knowledge it will refuse warranty work if things break.

That's how I see it anyway.

Also to do with marketing. VW Audi group intend certain cars for certain markets. If the produce a car with loads of power, you might not buy their flagship from the other range R32 for example.