EM TuningChris Nott
    va va voom

Status

Why remap is not standard

What i mean by this is, remap can be done on most cars.

Why didnt audi for example include this in there engines, why did they limit it to 225bhp (on a s3)

yesterday i met someone with a audi s3, was telling him to remap it, he goes the engine will have strain. if it was ok audi would have just put the maximum into the engine, meaning the remap allready included

if any of this makes sense

so why did audi limit the S3 at 225, when with a simple remap it can get extra 30-40 bhp

thanks
    ~ ~ ~2003 Audi S3 BAM ~ Ming Blue ~ 18" BBS Alloys ~ Heated Black Leather ~ Forge DV ~ RNS-E ~ denison ipod link~ parrot mk6100 bluetooth ~ ~ ~

Still need Remap

2007 Audi S3 8L
    2005 Audi A3 1.6 sport grey with climate control
    2003 Audi A3 1.6 sport black without climate contol

2. # ADS
    ADS

Taking it easy..

Status
    The experts will be here soon, but i believe it comes down to reliablity and economy! No doubt they will correct my spelling too!
    J

Beep-Beep!

Status
    I know with my BM 330d it was because it would take the power to near to the more expensive 530d and so on.

Probably similar with S3 to S4.
    Mike

3rd Gear

Status
    I'm pretty sure Jampublic got it spot on, the tolerances built into modern cars are of a fairly large margin plus the maps the manufacturer sets are researched over hundreds of thousends of hours to get a mix of reliability, economy and performance.

5th Gear

Status
    The stock audi maps are generically designed to work well for 100% of the cars audi make, I don't think many audi buyers get the car for outright performance, they buy if for a mix of build quality, performace, economy and the fact it's a damn nice place to be sat in

Also, Audi can always bring out a faster (and probably more expensive) model as these engines are "developed" which gets them the cash back for all the money they spend developing the cars and a good "life" from that engine - look at the history of the 1.9 diesel engine as a good example of this - went from about 50-60bhp (non turbo) back in the day, right up to 130bhp (Pump Duse, stronger internals, bigger turbo & different map) and they can be taken much higher up if you've got the cash.

You also have to consider the warranty as well, audis came with 3 years IIRC, if they upped the power output of every car theres a good chance that they would have to do more work to them at their own cost during those first 3 years.

Just my 2p's worth

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scib4
    I know with my BM 330d it was because it would take the power to near to the more expensive 530d and so on.

Probably similar with S3 to S4.
    The 330d had 204bhp and the 530d 214bhp or do I have that wrong?

Beep-Beep!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSpaceCowboy
    The 330d had 204bhp and the 530d 214bhp or do I have that wrong?
    Not sure what the 530d had, but around that with different states of tune and engine. The 330d had 184bhp till 03 when they changed it to 204bhp with a 6 speed manual.
    Mike

Brum brum

Status
    Also worth remembering that cars have to meet various emission standards (Euro III, IV or whatever), and as part of that the standard mode will be a compromise at whatever speed/rpm that the standard is measured at to ensure that the engine passes the test.
    It's like the old MPG figures being quoted at a steady xxmph - hence it was attractive to reduce fuel consumption at or around that point to ensure your car was more fuel efficient.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

2nd Gear

Status
    I agree with the point about warranty. By shipping to the mass market at 225bhp, the components are working well within their tolerances. And many, many people are completely satisfied with the standard 225 anyway.

To make a 260bhp car Audi would need to use even stronger components which would push the price above what people are prepared to pay for this class of car. At 27,000 for the original 210bhp, the S3 was ruddy expensive already!

Most people have no problems with remaps but Audi is safe in the knowledge it will refuse warranty work if things break.

That's how I see it anyway.
    Audi A4 3.0 TDI Quattro 2008 - Ice Silver

JUST GONE: BMW 330i M Sport Saloon 2006 - Le Mans Blue

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: Audi S3 Quattro 2002 - AMD stage 1 - 261BHP - MTM clutch - Brilliant Black

va va voom

Status
    Thanks all, makes sense now
    ~ ~ ~2003 Audi S3 BAM ~ Ming Blue ~ 18" BBS Alloys ~ Heated Black Leather ~ Forge DV ~ RNS-E ~ denison ipod link~ parrot mk6100 bluetooth ~ ~ ~

Still need Remap

2007 Audi S3 8L
    2005 Audi A3 1.6 sport grey with climate control
    2003 Audi A3 1.6 sport black without climate contol

4th Gear

Status
    its like the new r8 they aren't giving to much power otherwise it would affect sales of thier gallardo as the r8 is way cheaper aswell

S3 - Gone but not forgotten!

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    Also to do with marketing. VW Audi group intend certain cars for certain markets. If the produce a car with loads of power, you might not buy their flagship from the other range R32 for example.