When to change my Cam Belt?

noodle

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but my S3's not long had an AVS, but no mention of the Cam Belt (driven circa 60k)

I keep forgetting to ring Audi during the day, so please could I have your thoughts, as I keep thinking that it could go at any time!.. Oopps.

Thanks all
N
:)

IMHO disregard Audi Shedules and get it done earlier rather than too late.

I had mine done last week and i have done 10K miles less then you have.

Besides waterpumps are notorious for failing so best to get it done.

I would get it done now including water pump.
Get them to give it a wash while its in :laugh: (looking at your picture)

Nik.

noodle said:
Excuse my ignorance, but my S3's not long had an AVS, but no mention of the Cam Belt (driven circa 60k)

I keep forgetting to ring Audi during the day, so please could I have your thoughts, as I keep thinking that it could go at any time!.. Oopps.

Thanks all
N
:)

fingermouse said:
Before 60k or 5 years is the norm from what I have read

I'd second this. Just had mine done at 60k and the guy that did it said the waterpump had a minor leak. Too much to risk, get it done!

I've just had mine done at 50K / 5 years.

I called Audi and they couldn't decide whether I should have it done (the service schedule says 80K regardless of age).

So I got it done at an independent - still expensive but now I have peace of mind.

if you're worried, get it done asap! you'll regret it if you unintentionally let it slip a few weeks and it goes....

I think i'll join in on this one.....

Mine was done at 5 years with 37k inc water pump

I just recently done my at 54k and being over 7 years old, did the waterpump also with a GSF metal impellor jobby. Despite lack of play and being in good working condition, the old pump had a very small leak coming from the seal, so I'd definitely change it during any cambelt change for the sake of under £25 for peace of mine.

I got my 66k S3 done last month for £320 inc tensioner. I also picked up the the metal impellor from GSF for around £30 inc delivery.

I dont know about you guys but im certain the car pulls just a tad faster than before now its done.

would it be possible for someone to do a sticky for this forum with all the bits required or recommended when doing the cam belt ????

just a idea as its often asked

also i`ll be doing mine this summer probally lol

S3 NIK said:
I would get it done now including water pump.
Get them to give it a wash while its in :laugh: (looking at your picture)

Nik.

Yes, that was gathered over the roads home :( It's a nightmare when it rains.

I spoke to Audi and they said that it was due at 80K ! I'd rather not wait that long so booked it in. Now, having read other posts I've got to ring them back and add a new pump to the list...

Cheers all
N