Warped Discs?

Busby

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this:

When heavy braking from v.high speed (on my own private motorway of course), say at the termination of a motorway, my brakes make a real grumbling noise. At first I thought it might be the ABS, but its way too noisy for that. I can feel the grumbling through the wheel and the brake pedal. What do you reckon it could be? Surely not ABS, I've experienced ABS\ TSC on this S3 and plenty of other cars and none are this "unrefined". Warped discs? Loose front suspension components somewhere?

It's odd, coz the brakes behave perfectly well elsewhere (although they could be better) such as normal driving, and even B road blasts. It just seems to happen on roads where you have a real head of speed up, and brake heavily in a straight line for a roundabout. I only had the car serviced in November, about 5k miles ago, and there were no reported problems with the discs or pad wear.

Any suggestions appreciated...

Cheers

Very very unlikely for a disc to just warp, only really possible for you to do this when they're brand new - if you're braking from a very high speed then its prob more likely that the crap brakes cant really handle it

Its more than possilbe to warp any discs regardless of age. Sounds like you've just used them too hard.

I've only had the car since October, and admittedly the car had the same "Feature" back then, so I can't be anything to do with me mullering the barkes since buying it. I guess it must be either very very uncouth, noisy ABS, or the discs need replacing. I'll get the garage to check it out when the car goes in for it's cambelt in the next couple of months.