S3 Upgrades planned at APS, UK

parbox

Reaction score
Hi guys, please can people advise if I am making the right move on upgrading my 50K mile, 2003 S3. Got it booked into APS for new springs, dampers, r32 ARBs and a remap. Hoping this will money well spent.

Am I doing the right thing with the right people - they seem good on the phone.

Thanks loads
P.

APS have done alot of work on my S3 in the last few weeks, including cambelt clutch, brake fluid change R32 ARBs, 4 wheel alignment etc.

Highly recommended.

My car had covered 50K miles and the front ARB was completely shagged. So I had the R32 upgrade done while the subframe was down for the clutch.

Also had the rear ARB swapped out to match.

I still dont understand why people consider the R32 ARB's as an 'upgrade'.

You are putting ARB's on which are designed for a car which has an engine 1/2 as heavy again as the 1.8T

Why not just fit proper aftermarket ARB's that have had R&D time put into them to make them work well with the S3 chassis....

1. Common upgrade.
2. Known to work.
3. Sensible price.
4. In stock.

ARB's were not planned, car was already in bits on the ramps. It would have been false economy to but the car all back together, just so i could get similar parts with "Neuspeed" or similar on it.

Just because its not a named tuners part does not mean its not a worthy upgrade.

PaulS3 said:
Just because its not a named tuners part does not mean its not a worthy upgrade.

I understand this, its better than standard, but EBC green stuff are a common, cheap upgrade, vaugely better than standard.

It does not make them 'good' though does it.

I'd be far happier with a proper, tested and controllable product on there which a R&D team behind how it works and with proven, real world results.

I suppose the R32 upgrade is a viable upgrade for road use, but on the track days I attend, most people have the Neuspeeds etc, so thats probably where the difference lies, performance, or road use...

when my roll bars needed doing, I had genuine front and rear standard ones fitted, as my car is completely standard suspension wise.....

Dave_Bayern said:
I still dont understand why people consider the R32 ARB's as an 'upgrade'.

You are putting ARB's on which are designed for a car which has an engine 1/2 as heavy again as the 1.8T

Why not just fit proper aftermarket ARB's that have had R&D time put into them to make them work well with the S3 chassis....

same here. Recently helped a mate fit a set of R32 ARB's to his 4motion, only a slight reduction in roll and no improvement is steering feel which is the single biggest transformation with the H&R's. Spend the extra £90 for aftermarket ones, do it cheap or do it right.

PaulS3 said:
1. Common upgrade.
2. Known to work.
3. Sensible price.
4. In stock.

but if you read glens sticky about suspension, and anti roll bars, it explains how the R32 ARB's are pretty pointless, as there is no proportional increase in size at the back, leaving you with a car that understeers just as much, but just rolls a little less. the balance is uneffected, which seems to be the biggest point of changing them.

the H&R and neuspeed ones appear to be a MUCH better idea.

if your going to doa job, you might as well do it properly.

Thanks for the responses guys - interesting stuff about the ARBs

They recommended them really highly for better cornering - but sounds like maybe not worth the cost of £350 fitted

I did not make a note of brands to be used for the suspension but they say they have 2 packages - track and road - I went for the road option.

Going into this a bit blind really - just want it to drive more like the new s3 but keep the current looks.

thanks all.

PaulS3 said:
APS have done alot of work on my S3 in the last few weeks, including cambelt clutch, brake fluid change R32 ARBs, 4 wheel alignment etc.

Highly recommended.

My car had covered 50K miles and the front ARB was completely shagged. So I had the R32 upgrade done while the subframe was down for the clutch.

Also had the rear ARB swapped out to match.

2 questions Paul, how much did that set you back, and has it made a notable difference to handling in your opinion?

parbox said:
Thanks for the responses guys - interesting stuff about the ARBs

They recommended them really highly for better cornering - but sounds like maybe not worth the cost of £350 fitted

I did not make a note of brands to be used for the suspension but they say they have 2 packages - track and road - I went for the road option.

Going into this a bit blind really - just want it to drive more like the new s3 but keep the current looks.

thanks all.

H&R's cost £269 delivered from DPM and 2hrs fitting. Makes them the same price fitted as R32 bars give or take £10. Don't have to be a genius to realise fitting R32 bars are recommended because the there a bigger profit margin....

r32 23 mil front rollbar is cheap though and can be used effectively with a big rear from neuspeed etc..!

The R32 ARBs cost me £115 delivered when I bought them which is considerably less than the £300 odd being quoted on DPM site for H&R's. I dont know the current prices on R32 ARBs, maybe the price has gone up recently but I would guess the reason why many people recommend them as an upgrade is that they used to be pretty cheap and at the price considered worthwhile stopgap upgrade.

Sorry if this sounds dumb but, who/what are APS?