Volks AutosEM Tuning

Thread: Arhhhhh

Reverse Gear

Status

Arhhhhh

Hi everyone

Difficult to answer I know, but I must pick your brains on this one because it's driving my brain crazy, ok here we go;
    My lovely A3 T has developed a rattle/knocking noise which appears to be from the drivers side arch area.
    It is not there when at a stand still, nor when reving and is worse on bumpy roads, the wheel is tight, there appears to be no play in the bearing, steering rack feels ok, anti roll has no play & tie rods etc, the throttle pedal feels a little loose (is this right)? but foot on this doesn't change noise, so it's ruled out!
    It sounds like the bonnet is moving, but it's not (I drove slowly with it open to check).
    You can't feel the rattle and can only hear clearly when stereo and climate control is off. It sounds plastic, but who bl**dy knows.....
    If anyone can give me piece of car to check believe me I'll check it... PLEASE HELP [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    From a man with a migraine.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status

Re: Arhhhhh

Do your alloys have a centre cap covering the bolts? If so, prise the cap off and see if any of the bolts are loose. Happened on my old car - drove me nuts until i changed the tyre, and the tyre guy told me I had been driving with one nut loose the whole time [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

The alternative is the steering column - my old A3 & A4s both had broken bolts on the steering column, which caused a knocking noise occasionally. Give that one a go.

Good luck!

Reverse Gear

Status

Not help anyone else have any ideas PLEASE PLEASE...
    :-(

Neutral

Status

Any loose wires inside the steering column which are banging around? Is it the brake pedal ?? Um, trying to think here.. I don't do that very well.. !!

Status

Have you had a good look underneath the car? There's a hell of a lot of plastic under there protecting the engine and Audi technicians are pretty slack when it comes to securing the under tray properly. They tend to lose screws and not bother replacing them. Or it could be you ran over something and it's ripped the under tray. If the tray seems intact and secure, take it off and have a look further up. I've found bits snapped off after I've had work carried out.