Faulty DIS Pixels

pazaz

Reaction score
My Dashboard DIS has a growing number of faulty pixels.

Its getting to the stage where some days you can just about read the info displayed.

Does this require a new dash? and if so is it only the the main dealers that can do this?

I have a warranty with Olympic Warranties and hoping to claim via them.

Cheers

Mine has started to do this aswell over the past week or so. They are in horizontal or vertical lines as opposed to just random pixels and for some reason don't seem to appear in the same place on start up which is a bit odd!
I'm sure I've seen the DIS Screens available on their own on fleabay but can't help on installation, would know where to start myself so I'll be watching this with interest.

they seem to do it when cold aswell don't they luckly both audis i've had have been ok (touch wood)
i think its just a new instrument cluster that you need.
Si

The display module is surface mounted to the PCB on the instrument cluster, so only a job for the really keen/skilled DIY'er. Huge number of tiny solder joints.

somebody posted a while ago about a fix, but as Andy says involved taking everything apart and checking contacts etc. From memory, it's just a loose connection that's losing your lines of pixels and isn't technically bust. But if you take it anywhere with that problem, they'll replace the instrument cluster.

Cheers lads, looks like I might live with it for a little while, out of interest how much is a new instrument cluster, any ideas?

IIRC you can get a recon instruments cluster on an echange basis and programmed to work on your car from Audi for... wait for it..... £550 + vat

It will definitely need coding by Audi aswell, as it's linked to the immobilisers of the car!

Jesus!!! How easy is it to get the clear panel of the dash so I can have a go at the fix that jojo linked?

Smoke Breather said:
Jesus!!! How easy is it to get the clear panel of the dash so I can have a go at the fix that jojo linked?

Reading the fix on the link mate, it's not the panel that's broke, just the connections are loose or not working somehow, so requires some form of soldering or pressure on the connection part for it all to work again. I just leave mine off these days, I will get round to taking mine apart when I have time lol.

mines different to that........
use to get a full screen low fuel warning with the orange fuel pump......
then recetly the bottom half of the display stopped working and the warning went into the top half and made the symbol fit in the working section.....
btw the warning is always on as my fuel gauge stooped working months ago so get the beep and warning all the time......
im putting up with it as i dont want to pay 500plus to replace the instruments just to know i have fuel in the car..... its not the sender on to 3rd of those