Matt Black RS4's

Dave_Bayern

Slipping at 3.5Krpm
Reaction score
When I bought my Audi, it came with a set of RS4 reps, which as time went on, got pretty badly kerbed.

Then recently I got some Audi TT competitions from eBay.

So the original setup was like so:

And with the new wheels, like this:

This of course left me with a badly kerbed set of RS4's doing nothing, which also had decent Toyos on.

Having decided never to go back to 18's for road use after the 17's performed so much more comfortably, then the natural conclusion was to use the RS4's as track wheels to use up the decent Toyos.

A quick clean later and the kerbing was even more obvious so I decided to experiment with Halfords Matt Black and see if I could spray the wheels to give them a different look and hide some of the kerbing:

As you can see, much better.

Here they are on the car:

I reckon it looks pretty decent, the finish wont last, as I didnt laquer them, and Matt paint is incredibly soft, but the beauty is, one £4 tin of Matt Black paint later and all 4 wheels look good as new!!

Dave

looks awesome
would look even better on silver car i reckon!
did you roughen the shine before spraying otherwise they wont last at all!

Yeah,i rubbed the wheels down with 240grit wet and dry before I sprayed them, but the wheel will only get used 5 or 6 times a year as they will be track wheels only, so hopefully, a £4 can of Halfords matt black after every outing will sort it.

They look good mate, i was thinking of the same set of wheels for mine.

How long did it take you to do?>?

Including washing, sanding and 3 coats fo paint, perhaps an hour a wheel including drying time, but it was spread over several nights so it seemed to take no time at all.

It's going to fulfill purpose anyway, as I just didnt want to wear down the tread on my road tyres.

Fair enough look good amte i fancy a set of black RS4's on mine,

I know a bloke that refubs wheels any colour finish etc £30 a wheel if you ever wanted it done professionally.

Jason

There is a guy who works for Wimbledon Audi who i've seen with these done, but left the center caps chrome, i'll get a pic next time I walk past on my lunch break.

Maybe its someone on here?

A3_Turbo said:
Fair enough look good amte i fancy a set of black RS4's on mine,

I know a bloke that refubs wheels any colour finish etc £30 a wheel if you ever wanted it done professionally.

Jason

£30 a wheel! For £30 a wheel it might be worth doing just to retain the finish without having to spray them after every couple of track sessions (taking the wheels on and off and grit scratches off the finish) Does he live near Frimley by any chance?

Jampublic said:
Wow stealth for sure!

Its a different look, would be interesting to see those at No Rice!

Don't know If I can be bothered to change them for NR and then change them back again when I get home, after going to 17's for everyday use, theres no way I'd go back to 18's except for track use, as of course tracks are flat and without potholes and bumps.

Might have to be turning up in the plain old TT comps...

I don't like the black wheels. Just looks like they're caked in brake dust to me.

If the kerbing was bad - get them refurbed - but OK it's more expensive.

Each to his own though! Cheers.