A3 1.8T '01 - WTF! Bad Idle Problem?

IndieA31.8T

Reaction score
Hi All,

Had my A3 for a few months now and besides a snapped mount on the exhaust she runs a dream EXCEPT......

On start up she idles around 1750 - 2000 rpm's for a few minutes and then calms down? This pi***s me off as the she feels jerky and kangaroo's?

Also after I have had a good 'boot' she has the same problem? Feels like a slight hesitation very much like a kangaroo feel again?

The exhaust rattles like a bad tempered snake at the best of times and the idle/kangaroo effect seems to be getting worse!
IS IT LACK of compression?
DO I NEED A REASON to tell the wife I'm getting her re-mapped?

Please any help out there?

:think::wtf:

The engine revs higher when it first starts up, as long as it settles back down to 850RPM there's not a problem. Sticking at 2000 RPM is a bit high though.

If it's misfiring it might be your MAF, disconnect it and see if it runs better. If it does then your MAF is ********.

I've got exactly the same problem. Really winds me up!!!sometimes it feels like its gonna stall. It seems to happen when starting in the morning.

Does this have something to do with a choke? I remember the old cars had a lever which had to be pulled out when starting Seems like a common problem after looking through some forums!

I might give the MAF a clean as suggested.