Telling insurance about mods

Jay

Reaction score
I finally got some 18" RS6s fitted yesterday. Question is do I need to tell my insurance company?
Previous ones were standard 16" factory fitted.

it shouldn't do much if anything to the premium TBH, it;s only a theft risk.

Thats unless your expecting to do this to someone.

[ytv]Pd_cROGcNxc[/ytv]

It should go down if anything as the RS6's reps are worth less than the Audi originals.
I never told my insurance company about my 18's, not because I wanted to defraud anyone, but because it never actually occurred to me. If my car's wheels get nicked I'm hardly gonna claim on the insurance.

I declared my wheels but should I declare my suspension mods?

Yes... All mods should be declared or they could refuse to pay out on a claim. If you don't inform them you are commiting fraud.

Answer is YES!
I had a friend who put 18 anni wheels on his golf and saifdf they were VW option wheels from new to his insuarance....when he had a bump, they checked and decoded the sticker in his boot showing car spec and it shown it built 16's! Decided to not pay out!
he managed to take it to court and claim he never knew, and won SOME of his claim, but not all.. (but he darned well did know cos I went to get the wheels with him after he bought the car!)

So be safe and tell them. In court they admitted by him delcaring them, it would not have made the premium go up! But he misrepresented the car regardless!

Jay said:
I finally got some 18" RS6s fitted yesterday. Question is do I need to tell my insurance company?
Previous ones were standard 16" factory fitted.

And no photo to show them off? :(

When you tell the insurance company make sure they confirm that they payout to replace in the case of loss. My son declared his wheels to the insurer "Elephant" and when they were stolen they refused to pay out and would only cover the replacement cost of OEM wheels, its carefully hidden in the small print. Apparently the extra cost (£30 py) of declaring the wheels is to cover the fact they are non standard and more likely to be a theft target!

Declare all mods IMO - you never know when some t!t's going to run into your car.

better £30 extra per year than them not paying out ££££'s if it comes to it

Things like uprated brakes, suspension, wheels, etc. (non-performance enhancing mods) normally only have an administration charge. Admiral used to charge me about £15 every time I changed something. Overall the premium never went up.

Direct line increased my premium £65 for uprated ARBs.... In hindsight I wish I'd left them then (I didn't due to the month's premium penalty for leaving early, which is actually less than the increase and less than the difference between them and a better insurer....)

I might hold off for abit as insurance is up for renwal in June.

Just hope theres no incidents before then!

Blunteh said:
Direct line increased my premium £65 for uprated ARBs.... quote]

Im not suggesting you dont declaire everything but... Do you think the insurers would measure the size of the arb's in the event of an accident. A chap went in to the back of my car a few weeks ago and no checks on the car were carried out by the insurance prior to repair. maybe because the chap addmitted blame?

I had a car that had several mods declared and when I crashed it (no one else involved), the repairer had to sit on it until an engineer (not an assessor) went out to inspect it. He later told me that the bloke had come to check for other mods because declaring the few I had, they thought I'd have more. I didn't and they paid up which was good.
Mods were - airbox, filter, dv, exhaust, disks, brake hoses, strut brace, lowered.
I think they were looking for cosmetic as typically someone who's done the other work will have added wheels, lips, skirts etc.

They also would only have paid out OE replacements.

s3ollie said:
Im not suggesting you dont declaire everything but... Do you think the insurers would measure the size of the arb's in the event of an accident. A chap went in to the back of my car a few weeks ago and no checks on the car were carried out by the insurance prior to repair. maybe because the chap addmitted blame?

Let's assume I flip my car and end up with it on it's side or upside down.... My nice bright red Neuspeed ARBs would show up a far bit..... Let's assume they say I lost control and that caused the flip, the accident investigators say it could have been due to my suspension being modified...

Bang... no insurance.

If I put it another way, would you bet your entire car (and possibly more) for £65 ? That's how I see it.. a gamble.